Electricity meters

May 21, 2008
Visit site
For many years we have paid for our electricity by the night as it has been either built in to the pitch fee or charged as an optional extra at a nominal fee per night.

The usual charge has been around £2 per night which in the winter is probably just enough to cover the actual consumption as we all like our heating on full blast and the microwave gets a regular dose of those hot meals to cook. But during the summer months, I would say that the park owners make a reasonable profit on the electricity charge as we are more inclined to eat out or eat cold foods such as salads. Even if we do have a steak it is usually cooked on the barbie at our cost.

So why now are we seeing the introduction of coin operated meters?

Is going to be another stealth tax on caravaners?

I seem to recall that it was deemed illegal to sub-sell utility's such as piped gas, water or electricity.

Now while I would suggest that the majority of reputable parks would ensure that their electricity is sold to their customers at a rate comparable with household meter rates, there is an oportunity there for some to charge way over the odds and we the consumer would not notice. For example my sister-in-law puts £40 a week into her meter as her home is all electric and has out of date night storage heaters.

I don't mind paying 50p for a shower as I understand that a substancial amount of utility fuel is consumed heating the water rapidly for that purpose. Again a few quid for the use of laundry facilities is ok as they are mostly charged at a simlar rate to the local laundrette.

But if I was feeding a meter on the caravan site to the tune of £40 a week I would be well miffed.

So, has anyone else experienced this senario already? Or have you had this proposal announced to you at your site?

finally, is it actually a legally acceptable practice?

I'm sure we can vote withour tow bars and take our business elsewhere thus leaving the sites with meters empty but what if this business of metering developes throughout the network.

I for one think that given the difficult times ahead not only for the tourist industry but also for us the public, that putting more strain on our wallets is not conducive to profitable business or customer relations.

Just think how we all moan about car park charges.

Steve L.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Greetings Steve,

I for one would welcome the introduction of metered electricity.

Why? because of the very reasons that you mentioned in your introductory message.

Historically site owners charged a nominal amount per nights consumption. However, whilst theoretically it is illegal to charge more than the actual consumption,site owners (including might I add the two largest clubs) swerve around this problem by stating that they are charging one for the service of provision and not the provision itself.

With the introduction of meters they would not be able to do that and would have to charge the going rate for the electricity provided.

We have just recently returned from Benicassim in Spain where our electricity was metered.

At the rate of 31cents a kilowatt which equates I believe to double the cost here in the UK (Spain doesn't have our restriction on the onward sale of electricity) we were charged the princely sum of 35 euros for 30 nights occupancy.

I appreciate that we are talking Spain and not the East coast of England with a wing from Siberia trying to tip the 'van over but I would agree with you Steve that the cost would come down.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its all to do with not being able to charge for gas/electric at a profit and some ruling that came in a few years ago

It does work against people who don't want it when its an inclusive pitch charge as seems the norm on many UK sites

In Europe its possible on many sites to state 6,10 or 16 amp or even NONE with charges to match and as has been said above some sites do meter it but at probably a greater cost overall if you want it

That involves more costly installation of course

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Thats right John. I understood there to be a law on sub-selling utilities.

I would welcome a fair system of charging for what is used, but I don't think it will work that way. I only see the park owners benifiting.

Another question would be how they meter it? If it is by visual reading then you would pay as you go, so to speak. If it was by coin operation then most would loose out as there would always be some credit left.

Another consideration would be, the odd few who might plug their cable into your supply overnight to run their 2Kw heater for instance and then swap back before you notice.

You see at the moment with the current fixed charge system it would be easy to lock off the pionts not in use. Thus ensuring no foul play.

Sorry for being so synical, but there are people who would do such a dasterdly deed these days.

Steve L.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Historically I always felt the old "shilling " meter gave you less than the direct supply.

I have no problem paying say

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
Steve

Nobody is forcing you to use the services supplied by the site, the suppliers are offering you a service, which if you take they will expect to make a profit on it. We have a CL which is successful and we do make a margin over costs. We have a meter to cost the electricity used on the site. because of this we have had to put up our nightly fees to

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dick dastardly does exist!

On the rally in Brittany the stewards were put in a difficult position when a rallier who had not paid for electric was hooking up at night

Dastardly indeed

Nov 17, 2005
Visit site
Hi Steve L

My wife and I run a small 5 van site in southern Spain, we installed electric meters about 6 months ago and charge the same rate that we pay, which is 17 cents a unit at this moment in time, we were forced into this by greedy people who were hell bent on misusing what they thought was "free" electric, so instead of increasing the rent to cover the obscenely high electricity bill we installed meters, after all, why should our considerate campers have to pay for the inconsiderate ones.

Funnily enough the inconsiderate couples electric bill fell from _140 a month to about _22.

We were also forced into installing a slot meter for our washing machine (_3 per load) as this was the only way to stop some people sneaking a free wash when we went out for shopping etc.

We run a site to make money as do all site owners, however, just as we don't rip-off out clients, we don't want to be ripped-off.

Our pitch fee is the same all year round unlike a lot of sites that charge according to different months of the year, thus leaving a smaller margin of profit, we are happy with this as it attracts summer visitors who don't like the expense and noise of the coast.

Play fair with your clients and they will play fair with you.

Kind regards,

Jeff & Irene.

Jul 6, 2007
Visit site
Hi Steve L

My wife and I run a small 5 van site in southern Spain, we installed electric meters about 6 months ago and charge the same rate that we pay, which is 17 cents a unit at this moment in time, we were forced into this by greedy people who were hell bent on misusing what they thought was "free" electric, so instead of increasing the rent to cover the obscenely high electricity bill we installed meters, after all, why should our considerate campers have to pay for the inconsiderate ones.

Funnily enough the inconsiderate couples electric bill fell from _140 a month to about _22.

We were also forced into installing a slot meter for our washing machine (_3 per load) as this was the only way to stop some people sneaking a free wash when we went out for shopping etc.

We run a site to make money as do all site owners, however, just as we don't rip-off out clients, we don't want to be ripped-off.

Our pitch fee is the same all year round unlike a lot of sites that charge according to different months of the year, thus leaving a smaller margin of profit, we are happy with this as it attracts summer visitors who don't like the expense and noise of the coast.

Play fair with your clients and they will play fair with you.

Kind regards,

Jeff & Irene.
You sound like just the site we are looking for.It's apity you can't advertise where you are,as it will probably be "moderated"out.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Peter (Fleetwood)

You're correct, the forum rules dont allow adverts to appear within topics on the forum.

I can however forward your email address to Jeff and Irene if you want me to.

Jan 31, 2008
Visit site
And mine too, Please! :)

LMAO! Isn't this a bit silly? Jeff and Irene are now going to inundated with email requests for more information so therefore, what they have posted above is, in effect, an advertisement anyway. Just because they have mentioned no names or exact location doesn't mean it's not "advertising".

Many of us share details of sites we've been to, even mentioning prices, locations and phone numbers. Isn't that therefore free advertising for them in a round about way? If one of us had visited Jeff and Irene's place, we could well be posting about it in the form of a site review and giving it's details, and that would be accepted, wouldn't it?

So wouldn't it be easier to allow Jeff and Irene to post a few more details of their site? After all, this is a caravan and camping forum isn't it? Isn't it all about sharing information on sites to benefit us all?

Sorry for being off the main topic. ;-)

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Legs

You may well think that things are a bit silly but let's consider the situation.

This forum is owned and run by the publishers of arguably the foremost caravan related magazine in the UK not counting the two main clubs.

For better or worse businesses pay good money to advertise within the pages of the magazine. They'd be really pleased then (not) if the publisher who charges for their adverts allowed others to just post an advert on this forum without any payment.

On the other hand the primary aim of this forum is to provide an exchange of mainly caravan related information and businesses are often 'named' on the forum.

The Moderators then try and judge to the best of our ability if the 'naming' is advertising, potentially litigious or informative.

In the latter case we allow the names to remain on the forum, sometimes after taking advice from forum admin.

Another point to consider is the impact that permission to post adverts within topics would have on this forum.

No one would manage to dicuss any subject without some sort of advert or promotion appearing in the middle of it.

Forum members would soon get tired of that imho.

Caravan manufacturers such as Swift and now Bailey plus some accessory manufacturers supply information and generous support to forum members and if they sometimes appear to promote their products on the forum they also have to join topics which may make uncomfortable reading for them.

When I see a request for further information on subjects where the details are not allowed I try to facillitate the exchange of information via email wherever possible.

I do this to try to help forum members but I don't have to, I could simply not offer.

There are other parts of this website which list campsites, products etc and they are easily accessible from the homepage. Businesses can advertise to their hearts content there but it's outside the remit of moderators of this forum.

We try to strike a fair balance within the rules set by Haymarket Publications.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Even with a caravan running the heating at full blast all night plus other power consuming devices, it is unlikely that the unit will use more than

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts