Electrics Elldis 365 2004

Sep 29, 2021
Visit site
New to all this so started with a two birth before considering moving / upgrading.
Last weekend (caravan sited for season) something tripped taking out two sockets ( one powers fridge) and under cabinet lights. Gone through all the fuses a few times and all fine.
Am I missing something hidden that would trip out?
Thanks in advance

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi JJ, and welcome to the forum. do you have any mains power outlets or lights? Are the under cabinet lights 12 volt? Is your mains protected by fuses or trips?

John

Sep 29, 2021
Visit site
Hi John,
Thanks for response.
I have one socket working, but two lower ( skirting levels) not working.
I think lights are not 12v ones.
Can’t find a consumer unit unless it’s somewhere I am not too sure of

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Likely to be under the n/s front seat behind the external battery box, and with circuit breakers and fuse panel.
It is probable that your under cabinet lights are 12v. Tell us the age and make of van and you may get some clearer advice.
SORRY! it was in the heading!

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The fact that you have some mains tells us that it is getting to the van. If the cabinet lights are mains (unusual). Then it might be one circuit that has failed. you say you checked the fuses so I guess you have an old consumer unit.

Sounds like you need a competent electrician to locate the fault and check the quality of the wiring.

John

Reactions: Jazzy Jay
Sep 29, 2021
Visit site
Likely to be under the n/s front seat behind the external battery box, and with circuit breakers and fuse panel.
It is probable that your under cabinet lights are 12v. Tell us the age and make of van and you may get some clearer advice.
It’s an Elldis 365 2004

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Jazzy

From the previous replies it seems it's part of 230Vac system that's failed, and the fact that some sockets are working whilst others aren't certainly points to an MCB tripping in the consumer unit.

The MCB or Miniature Circuit Breaker is designed to turn of the circuit its connected to if excess current is being called for by some appliance connected to it. Is it possible you tried turning on some heating applaince that caused it to trip?

You do need to find the consumer unit, If its not under the front locker it may well be in the wardrobe. It should have three or possibly four switches in it, and one will most likely be turned off.

Something will have caused it to trip (that's what they're meant to do if a fault occurs) amd you mention the the under cabinet lights had stopped working, if they were halogen bulbs, its possible one of them may have failed, and when they go they often used to trip MCB's.

• Try resetting the MCB switch. If it it won't latch on, it means the fault is still present. -
  • Turn off all the appliances, and then try resetting the MCB.
  • If it holds, that means the appliance that's causing the trip is now turned off. -
  • go round the caravan and turn each appliance on and off, until you find the one that causes the trip to operate.
  • If you find an appliance that causes it to trip it simply leave it turned off until you can arrange to get it repaired.
  • reset the trip and carry on.

Sep 29, 2021
Visit site
Hello Jazzy

From the previous replies it seems it's part of 230Vac system that's failed, and the fact that some sockets are working whilst others aren't certainly points to an MCB tripping in the consumer unit.

The MCB or Miniature Circuit Breaker is designed to turn of the circuit its connected to if excess current is being called for by some appliance connected to it. Is it possible you tried turning on some heating applaince that caused it to trip?

You do need to find the consumer unit, If its not under the front locker it may well be in the wardrobe. It should have three or possibly four switches in it, and one will most likely be turned off.

Something will have caused it to trip (that's what they're meant to do if a fault occurs) amd you mention the the under cabinet lights had stopped working, if they were halogen bulbs, its possible one of them may have failed, and when they go they often used to trip MCB's.

• Try resetting the MCB switch. If it it won't latch on, it means the fault is still present. -
  • Turn off all the appliances, and then try resetting the MCB.
  • If it holds, that means the appliance that's causing the trip is now turned off. -
  • go round the caravan and turn each appliance on and off, until you find the one that causes the trip to operate.
  • If you find an appliance that causes it to trip it simply leave it turned off until you can arrange to get it repaired.
  • reset the trip and carry on.
Thank you, sounds like I need to hunt down the RCD and will check. Thanks again appreciate the help

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Thank you, sounds like I need to hunt down the RCD and will check. Thanks again appreciate the help

I agree with the Prof but in your original post you said you checked the fuses! Could it be that you were looking at the 12 volt fuse panel?

So perhaps you do have a modern type consumer unit with RCD’s. It should not be that hard to find as it is designed to be accessible. Look where the Prof suggested, but also look behind the mains inlet. It is normal that the consumer unit is fairly close to the inlet.

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts