Electricty prices

Mar 4, 2020
Visit site
Just bought a hobby 650 prestige ,found 2 seasonal pitches first one £1350 including electric , 2nd £800 excluding electricty ,both very scenic / same , which would be best value with average consumption thanks

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just bought a hobby 650 prestige ,found 2 seasonal pitches first one £1350 including electric , 2nd £800 excluding electricty ,both very scenic / same , which would be best value with average consumption thanks
You need to know what the tariff is on the second one assuming you can have electric via meter and what will affect your calculations will be how many days you plan on using the pitch during the season. Only you can work it out based on your usage of the pitch and what electrical items you will be using. All will have their power rating listed on them or in your manual. Are the pitches on the same site? Do you have solar panels and inverter?By way of an example we use about £1.5 electric a day at home during winter months. Oven, central heating pump, shower pump, fridge freezer, washing machine, dehumidifier, tumble dryer and lights. But not all at the same time.
If it’s a summer seasonal with a good amenities block I’d tend to go for the £800 and watch the metered usage.

Reactions: Louise

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
There are legal restrictions where you can't be charged more for a unit of electricity than the utility charge the site owner.
The charge they pay as a commercial organisation will be greater than a typical domestic user, but I doubt even they pay more than 20 pence a unit.
The difference between the two site fees being £550 would buy 2750 units, so if you used the van for half the days throughout a full year that works out at 15 units per night, to equate for the £550.
You do your own use sums but IMO you will win hands down on the £800 offer.
But get a price per unit costing from the site, to be sure, though as said the law protects you from being overcharged on electricity.
Also check carefully that the £800 offering includes the option to have electricity paid by the unit used. There could be "clever" schemes charging for the "provision" of electricity, on top of the electricity's cost itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Louise
Mar 4, 2020
Visit site
There are legal restrictions where you can't be charged more for a unit of electricity than the utility charge the site owner.
The charge they pay as a commercial organisation will be greater than a typical domestic user, but I doubt even they pay more than 20 pence a unit.
The difference between the two site fees being £550 would buy 2750 units, so if you used the van for half the days throughout a full year that works out at 15 units per night, to equate for the £550.
You do your own use sums but IMO you will win hands down on the £800 offer.
But get a price per unit costing from the site, to be sure, though as said the law protects you from being overcharged on electricity.
Thank you

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
You need to know what the tariff is on the second one assuming you can have electric via meter and what will affect your calculations will be how many days you plan on using the pitch during the season. Only you can work it out based on your usage of the pitch and what electrical items you will be using. All will have their power rating listed on them or in your manual. Are the pitches on the same site? Do you have solar panels and inverter?By way of an example we use about £1.5 electric a day at home during winter months. Oven, central heating pump, shower pump, fridge freezer, washing machine, dehumidifier, tumble dryer and lights. But not all at the same time.
If it’s a summer seasonal with a good amenities block I’d tend to go for the £800 and watch the metered usage.

We have a heat pump and we use about £3.50 electric in a day. There are only the two of us with heating set at 20C between 6am and 10pm. Between 10pm and 6am it is set to 18C. We do use a tumble drier however if we dry the clothes on the heaters, we get damp and mould.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have a heat pump and we use about £3.50 electric in a day. There are only the two of us with heating set at 20C between 6am and 10pm. Between 10pm and 6am it is set to 18C. We do use a tumble drier however if we dry the clothes on the heaters, we get damp and mould.

That’s good. Is that your total energy bill and fir what size property?

Feb 13, 2020
Visit site
Hopefully not 'off topic', but i saw OC say he uses £1.50 a day for his home leccy. Yet others pay £3.50 (ours is nearer this). Yet OC then says this is 'good'? I am confused! I thought ours was looking expensive, as we also use gas as well.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
How much energy costs to run a home has so many variables, its difficult to compare your own cost with others without knowing a whole range of factors. Here's just a few:
  • How big the house is
  • What its construction is and how well insulated.
  • How exposed it is to winds and sunlight
  • What other sources of power are used (eg Gas Oil, Solar, ground source or air source heating)
  • How hot you like to keep it
  • When is it used (people out at work will use less)
  • How many people use it (doors being opened and closed)
Then of course it will depend on the tariffs for the power scheme you have. Some have cheaper electricity at night, but they also pay more during the day.

It wold be simpler to look at the amount of power you use (kWh or equivalents) and compare that, but even then the points will still give rise to variances.

Perhaps you might benefit from checking if there might be a better deal from your energy suppliers, or even changing to a different one.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Fundamental to the cost of home electricity will be whether it is used for space heating or not, that is the massive consumer of home energy.

If needing a guide .We are gas heated and for our large, detached very exposed brick house, two persons, the electricity taken throughout this last 12 months averages £1.49 per day inclusive of near 19 p a day standing charge.

Feb 13, 2020
Visit site
The average is £1.49, what about now - winter days? (or when we were in 'winter'). We are also on gas heating, in a big house, thats well insulated, and also under your tariff, but struggle to get below maybe £3.25 daily for a couple, just now. I don't know where it goes!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hopefully not 'off topic', but i saw OC say he uses £1.50 a day for his home leccy. Yet others pay £3.50 (ours is nearer this). Yet OC then says this is 'good'? I am confused! I thought ours was looking expensive, as we also use gas as well.

I assumed that Buckman was all electric with no gas usage.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It was OC's £1.50 that perked me up. Thats very good, unless he lives in a bedsit!

No four bedroomed good sized detached. But electricity usage is fairly steady throughout the year. Only significant change in winter will be the central heating pump. Evenings we are only using 15 watts lounge lighting and TV plus fridge freezer and CH pump. So pretty low consumption. Our tariff runs to October 2021 from when we moved in Spring 2019.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Even in a house where all space and water heating is done by gas or oil, the electricity usage will vary across the seasons.

Longer winter nights, means the lights are on more, More hot drinks are taken, and some households use tumble dryers. More time is often spent in front of the TV or computers.

So its a very variable picture of energy usage. Smart meters with their displays do perhaps make some people more energy cost aware.

I bet the Queen would like to only spend £1.50 a day on electricity at Buck House and all her other holiday homes ;) !

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The average daily for February last cost £1.51 of electricity plus 19 standing charge, so £1.60/day.
Being winter we are here, but the deep freezer is not so pushed. That and fridge can be big users. Our water is heated off the gas CH, but we only shower so if off electricity that ought not account for much.
All lighting is either fluorescent ie tubes or long life bulbs the rest LEDs.
Recent weather has meant more use of the tumble drier, a heavy user whilst on.

Think of things on for long times, they insidiously use up energy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts