ELECTROLYSIS

Oct 3, 2022
Visit site
Hi all, I noticed a thread on electrolysis on caravans. I have this problem also. My van is a 2015 Jayco Starcraft Outback which has electrolysis on the side panelling in the area of the fridge. We purchased the van second hand and I noticed what I thought was air bubbles under the copper colored decal, and over time it has gotten bigger. I placed a small cut in the decal and there is white powder under the decal. I took it to the local Jayco repairer and he took photos and he said he sent them to Jayco but didn't get a reply. He also said he'd seen 2 other Jayco's with the same issue. So I got a bit narky with him and rang our State Jayco Dealer and arranged an appointment for inspection. They said they had never seen it before (yeah right) and suggested I do an Insurance claim and they would replace the whole panel. My insurance says I'm covered for damage,theft,fire but they don't cover things like rust (I'm presuming they will look at it as rust even though it's not) So I could have an "accident" and have it done or could repair it but that might not fix the problem. When they take the panel off it may reveal what has caused it. Thoughts? PS it has "grown" since I took these photo's earlier in the year.

Attachments

• IMG_4997.jpeg
    IMG_4997.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4995.jpeg
    IMG_4995.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4996.jpeg
    IMG_4996.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Richo,

Welcome to the forum. I'm guessing your located in Australia?

I have seen electrolytic corrosion in UK caravans, in fact my father's caravan had it. It normally occurs where two reactive metals come into contact with each other. In my father's caravan it was where two aluminium body panels joined and it was covered by an aluminium bead screwed in place to hold it all together. The manufacture had used the wrong screws which had reacted.

I note from your picture's in two of them the corrosion seems to follow a fold line. Perhaps it's the pressing action used to form the panel which has stretched and perforated the aluminium's anodised protective layer.

The other area looks like what we call pin hole corrosion. This could be a poor paint surface that has allowed water under the paint which has started to react.

Reactions: RICHO1953
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We also had the same issue. Apparently it was rust on nails around an area with damp and the rust and the aluminium had a reaction. I am not sure but I think it is the oxide in the rust that reacts with the aluminium, but maybre someone with more knowledge than myself on this aspect can verify?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We also had the same issue. Apparently it was rust on nails around an area with damp and the rust and the aluminium had a reaction. I am not sure but I think it is the oxide in the rust that reacts with the aluminium, but maybre someone with more knowledge than myself on this aspect can verify?
Back in the days of sail navy ships had their undersides covered in copper to reduce fouling. Unfortunately the copper was fixed using iron nails, and then the copper sheathing fell off after a time.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
About what to do about it. I know that Australia does have some consumer protection laws, but you would have to check your own laws to know if you can claim this corrosion as a latent fault caused by unsatisfactory manufacturing practice. It might be possible in the UK as our legislation provides some cover for up to 6 years (5years in Scotland).

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
you can claim this corrosion as a latent fault caused by unsatisfactory manufacturing practice.

That is a very interesting take on the issue and probably one that can be applied to other areas of caravan manufacture i.e. incorrect sealant being used etc.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That is a very interesting take on the issue and probably one that can be applied to other areas of caravan manufacture i.e. incorrect sealant being used etc.
Absolutely, if as the result of using an inappropriate material or process during manufacture or a repair a product fails than it does fall under the scope of the CRA.

However proving it is not always going to be easy.

Reactions: Buckman

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts