Email program

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Up to now I have been using Outlook 2007 which served its purpose. Stupidly I subscribed to MS 365 and trying to set up my email accounts in the new Outlook is a total nightmare as it will not let me set up all three of my email addresses. I will be dumping this 365 as soon as the subscription runs out. Now looking for a replacement email program. Any suggestions.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have three email accounts which are used for different purposes.
Outlook but not with the 365 subscription
Gmail
Yahoo

All work perfectly well across my three Apple devices and synchronise quickly. Only rarely do I have to go directly into the individual account websites. Generally it will be Outlook to retrieve an email inadvertently binned.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have three email accounts which are used for different purposes.
Outlook but not with the 365 subscription
Gmail
Yahoo

All work perfectly well across my three Apple devices and synchronise quickly. Only rarely do I have to go directly into the individual account websites. Generally it will be Outlook to retrieve an email inadvertently binned.

My Dell laptop does not have a CD/DVD disc player so could not load my Outlook 2007 so had no option at the time except to subscribe to MS 365. My other Office programs work okay no issue, but trying to set up email account in Outlook 365 is an issue. It is only allowing me to set up one account and that account is a minor account seldom used.
My incoming and outgoing server require authentication, but it only asks for one password. There are different passwords for incoming (Plusnet) which is with one provider and the outgoing smtp is with another provider and requires a different password. I tried to set it up manually, but still cannot input different passwords as it only asks for the smtp password.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My Dell laptop does not have a CD/DVD disc player so could not load my Outlook 2007 so had no option at the time except to subscribe to MS 365. My other Office programs work okay no issue, but trying to set up email account in Outlook 365 is an issue. It is only allowing me to set up one account and that account is a minor account seldom used.
My incoming and outgoing server require authentication, but it only asks for one password. There are different passwords for incoming (Plusnet) which is with one provider and the outgoing smtp is with another provider and requires a different password. I tried to set it up manually, but still cannot input different passwords as it only asks for the smtp password.
Try deleting everything and buy a cheap DVD drive to input your program to the Dell. My last Mac desktop nor my present MAC Mini did not have drive slots so I bought a cheap DVD drive. Must admit though I have rarely had to use it as I now take photos off the cameras on their SD cards and plug them into a Anker port-hub that interfaces with the computer.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
On Outlook for Office365 ...

FILE > INFO > ADD ACCOUNT > ADVANCED OPTIONS

Check “Let me set up my account manually”

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
On Outlook for Office365 ...

FILE > INFO > ADD ACCOUNT > ADVANCED OPTIONS

Check “Let me set up my account manually”

Thanks. Done that and account was set up manually. No issue receiving emails, but for some reason I cannot send emails although username & password are correct for smtp.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I switched to O365 from 2007 some time ago and most of the settings got imported. Adding new accounts isn't the best process in O365 and I found the best way is to do it through the old Mail option in the old Control Panel.

Assuming you're on W10 then in the in the search option which pops up when you right click on the bottom left icon (Start) type Control Panel and then click on the App at the top of the screen. You'll find the option for Mail(Microsoft Outlook) and this brings up the settings window just like the old 2007 program.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I used the method suggested by Sam and I think I have cracked it now as can now send messages. What a hassle! TBH I am not sure what I cracked, but it is working.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
I used the method suggested by Sam and I think I have cracked it now as can now send messages. What a hassle! TBH I am not sure what I cracked, but it is working.

That would mean that you’re using Outlook for Windows 10, rather than Office365 which you’ve paid for as part of your subscription, but if it works and you’re happy with the GUI then problem solved ! :)

I’m curious as to whether the problematic account was an “@icloud.com“ account or from any other Apple hosted domain ...

If so, to access the account through Office365 it’s neccesary to perform additional validation through iCloud.com

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That would mean that you’re using Outlook for Windows 10, rather than Office365 which you’ve paid for as part of your subscription, but if it works and you’re happy with the GUI then problem solved ! :)

I’m curious as to whether the problematic account was an “@icloud.com“ account or from any other Apple hosted domain ...

If so, to access the account through Office365 it’s neccesary to perform additional validation through iCloud.com
Definite using Office 365 Outlook now. Not an “@icloud.com“ or Apple hosted domain. I use an email provider in the US where all my mail gets filtered and forwarded onto myself. I am allowed 3 aliases. See www.pobox.com

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Buckman, get somebody to copy Outlook onto a memory stick and load it that way. You can also pick up an external USB cd/dvd drive for peanuts.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Buckman, get somebody to copy Outlook onto a memory stick and load it that way. You can also pick up an external USB cd/dvd drive for peanuts.
I did try the memory stick, but for some reason it throws up some strange abnormalities in the programs for Office r2007. I did eventually get Outlook 365 to work, but what a hassle.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Thunderbird should run on most PCs . Out of curiosity I tried it a while back but never liked the user interface so dumped it.

There's a Mail program built into Windows 10 but I didn't like that either.

I prefer Outlook on my PC and on my Android devices. However, since I have many email addresses, on my Android devices I split them between Outlook and Gmail. All the serious stuff is on Outlook and the 'don't care' stuff is on Gmail - which is ok but not as good as Outlook IMO.

One thing about Outlook in Office 365 is that contacts sync across devices.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thunderbird should run on most PCs . Out of curiosity I tried it a while back but never liked the user interface so dumped it.

There's a Mail program built into Windows 10 but I didn't like that either.

I prefer Outlook on my PC and on my Android devices. However, since I have many email addresses, on my Android devices I split them between Outlook and Gmail. All the serious stuff is on Outlook and the 'don't care' stuff is on Gmail - which is ok but not as good as Outlook IMO.

One thing about Outlook in Office 365 is that contacts sync across devices.

I did try Thunderbird and like you I did nto like the Interface. I route my Gmail into Outlook so everything is in same place.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I use Apple Mail to synch my three different email accounts between MAC MINI, Ipad and Iphones. Works seamlessly. Rarely do I have to go directly into any of the separate email websites, although Outlooks ability to retrieve deleted mail comes in handy if I’ve been too quick off of the mark.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Whilst we have the included Outlook in Win10, sitting in the background collecting our emails, our normal access is via our browsers, Edge and Chrome, where they are set up as bookmarks.
On my Linux computers I again use a browser, there Chromium.

I have not yet seen the benefits of setting up anything else, or failings in what we do.

On a related subject, we have avoided ever again having email services provided by our various internet providers, all now are independents and web based.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Darn email went down again yesterday for some unknown reason. No messages since 6pm yesterday. Was working okay receiving messages but didn't send any messages and only found that out this morning. I don't think I will be renewing MS 365 again as this email hassle is frustrating. A big hassle notifying every one of change of email address.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Darn email went down again yesterday for some unknown reason.

Have you tried accessing your email via your browser, by going directly to the providers website?
All of mine provide a web page to "Login", and thus access the mail without using any intermediatory application, Outlook, Thunderbird etc

--------------------------------------------------------------------

We don't use MS Office or MS365 at all, "OpenOffice" in our case serves all the document handing we need, and is a free Open-source service.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Have you tried accessing your email via your browser, by going directly to the providers website?
All of mine provide a web page to "Login", and thus access the mail without using any intermediatory application, Outlook, Thunderbird etc

On checking I was blacklisted by email provider due to incorrect password being submitted on more than one occasion however I have not touched the system or profiles since I got it working and was receiving and sending emails.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
On checking I was blacklisted by email provider due to incorrect password being submitted on more than one occasion however I have not touched the system or profiles since I got it working and was receiving and sending emails.

The more common Browsers can automatically remember your passwords on a selected basis, though you have to trust the provider.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The more common Browsers can automatically remember your passwords on a selected basis, though you have to trust the provider.
My email is a stand alone third party provider and not associated with my broadband provider or any browser. A hang over from when I was working. I will contact the mail provider to find out if there is a reason for being constantly blacklisted.
In addition, although I have an email address set up as the main default email address in Outlook when replying or creating a new email it uses the secondary email address.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts