Eriba caravan registration

Feb 27, 2017
Visit site
Hi.

I recently bought an old Eriba caravan - year 1990. This was bought privately in the UK. However, I am wondering if this caravan needs to registered or something? The CRiS scheme requires a17 digit code but the code on this caravan is a French code beginning with VGN... The CRiS site will not accept this. Any advice would be appreciated.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
CRIS is not a legaly required registration scheme. It is useful for checking ownership and recoveri g stolen caravans. You may find some insurers are set up to only take this and you may find they will not cover you but overall then you can manage.
There is an owners club you can look to for help if you have problems though.

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Hi fishcultureman,

We have an Eriba (2004 Puck 120GT) and like you we bought ours privately four years ago now. We too tried going down the route of CRIS but found it would take time for them to investigate the vans origins and for them to create a recognised CRIS number (i think if i remember they wanted around £40).

I noticed our van already had security tag stickers in the windows. When we bought the van we had no change of ownership papers for the tagging company so we made contact with them, provided a copy of the purchase receipt and they contacted the previous registered owner. Luckily we had the details of the last two previous owners. We now have the correct documents to prove ownership and the van has a security system concealed within the van.

Of course the Eriba vans are quite sort after and hold their value very well. Don't rely on just one form of security. We also have sold secure standard wheel locking nuts, a hitch locking post and a wheel clamp.

But remember if they want it nothing will stop them, security devices will only delay them! :blush:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I bought a Trigano Silver 2008/9 last year. It hadn't been registered with CRIS. Also as you say the French VIN codes bear no relation to the accepted norm and CRIS won't reconsider them by online input. I contacted CRIS and there is a procedure where they can register old, or imported caravans. It is very simple, costs about £50 and gives you a registration code, window stickers, boot chip and RFD chip for inside the caravan. It took them around 4 weeks to process my application. As part of the process they check the insurers data base for stolen vans, or write offs.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
knight-1 said:
Hi fishcultureman,

We have an Eriba (2004 Puck 120GT) and like you we bought ours privately four years ago now. We too tried going down the route of CRIS but found it would take time for them to investigate the vans origins and for them to create a recognised CRIS number (i think if i remember they wanted around £40).

I noticed our van already had security tag stickers in the windows. When we bought the van we had no change of ownership papers for the tagging company so we made contact with them, provided a copy of the purchase receipt and they contacted the previous registered owner. Luckily we had the details of the last two previous owners. We now have the correct documents to prove ownership and the van has a security system concealed within the van.

Of course the Eriba vans are quite sort after and hold their value very well. Don't rely on just one form of security. We also have sold secure standard wheel locking nuts, a hitch locking post and a wheel clamp.

But remember if they want it nothing will stop them, security devices will only delay them! :blush:

I think the Alko Secure lozenge would defat them and result in major damage/costs if they tried to remove it. Alternatively I suppose they could use crane to lift it onto a truck, but that approach would be unusual.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts