Essential inhabitation equipment ?

Aug 31, 2019
Visit site
Hi just wondering what this covers. My van is 1190 miro with an allowance of 60kg for EIE and a further 250kg for payload.
Just curious and will be taking van to a weighbridge when ian able to tow it.

Cheers

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Dazz, basically your empty cravan , is the Miro, but they change the rules. So you can only go by your maximum weight, which will incude bottles battery Motor mover etc,
If yo want to be safe and legal . Load your caravan with what you will normqlly take away, ie, plates , duvets, radio, games, pots and pans shoesetc.
Take the van to a local weigh bridge, pay yoour £10, tow the van home an try and find all rhe sruff tou dont need to get the van down to its MTPLM.

Edit, these weight are only for towing, when on site load it to the gunnals

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The definition of essential habitation equipment is relatively vague and not regulated in any way, so manufacturers tend to interpret the term as they think fit. The reason for this is that until a couple of years ago there wasn't a definition of what was included in the MIRO either, and every manufacturer had their own idea. With the introduction of an industry standard, some items which used to be included in essential habitation equipment are now included in the MIRO. Also, MIRO is only the actual weight of the one caravan that was submitted for type approval so it need not necessarily apply to your own, in particular if your caravan is fitted with factory fitted optional extras that weren't included in the type approved model. To be on the safe side, it's therefore best to have the caravan weighed when it's empty yourself

Aug 31, 2019
Visit site
Mine is conflicting. On the plate it says 1190 miro and 1500 mtplm. In the small handbook it says 1090kg and 1300kg. In the larger handbook there is a sticker over the weights and it is 1190kg miro 60kg eie and 1420kg mtplm. I am just assuming that you would go off the vin plate ? I would rather it was the 1300 lol and I wouldn’t have had to sit another test.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It's not a question of sitting another test, as others have pointed out, the definition of MIRO has been messed about with, so its not entirely clear what's included and what's not. There is no legal implication, it's never checked. What you have to ensure is the total weight of the caravan when it's loaded does not exceed it's MTPLM.

In other words you cannot implicitly trust that MTPLM - MIRO figures will be your actual pay load capacity.

Essentially you need to load your caravan sensibly, then get it weighed and make sure it doesn't exceed it's MTPLM.

Some caravanner's go to the trouble of using a spreadsheet to record the weight of every item they put into their caravan, and use it to work out the total weight of the items they've packed. This can have several practical uses:

If you discover you are overloaded, you can pick out items that will bring your overall weight down to your target.

After a few trips, you can use the list to help identify any unnecessary items your towing around for no good reason.

Some caravanner's make the list do more, such as recording serial numbers, value, purchase dates etc.Having a complete inventory could make it easier to make an insurance claim if you suffer a loss

Exactly where the item is stored in the caravan, which can help to see effect it will have on noseload.

Just a word of warning, weighing every single item and adding all their weights is a good guide, but errors in your weighing equipment and recording may cause the results to most likely be different to final official weighbridge result.

Also weather conditions can affect a caravans measured weight by a few Kg. Wood and soft furnishings can take in and gets rid of moisture depending on the humidity but probably not enough to be a major concern.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Dazzzzbo said:
Mine is conflicting. On the plate it says 1190 miro and 1500 mtplm. In the small handbook it says 1090kg and 1300kg. In the larger handbook there is a sticker over the weights and it is 1190kg miro 60kg eie and 1420kg mtplm. I am just assuming that you would go off the vin plate ? I would rather it was the 1300 lol and I wouldn’t have had to sit another test.

It is possible that the original owner had it replated to a higher weight, which is what the sticker is for. If you google the make and model you should find a site that has the weight information for the standard one, but it would not override the higher figure if it has been upgraded.
You have not stated what the caravan is, another possibility is that it is a dealer special with additional equipment but 100 kg seems a lot for that.
Most makes have an owners club who might be able to help.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Dazzzzbo said:

The official MTPLM is what is shown on the statutory plate. This plate can be identified by the information that it displays. A statutory plate must show the type approval number, the noseweight limit, axle load ratings and the MTPLM.

Aug 31, 2019
Visit site
Raywood said:
Dazzzzbo said:

It is possible that the original owner had it replated to a higher weight, which is what the sticker is for. If you google the make and model you should find a site that has the weight information for the standard one, but it would not override the higher figure if it has been upgraded.
You have not stated what the caravan is, another possibility is that it is a dealer special with additional equipment but 100 kg seems a lot for that.
Most makes have an owners club who might be able to help.
Hi the original owner never had it replated as spoke to him about it. It seems that fleetwood and Adria got there wired crossed imho as the paper work is Adria as it is really an Adria van.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You may find this interesting:

Fleetwood Caravans was founded in 1966 in Chadwell Heath, London before moving to Colchester in Essex, and then finally to Long Melford, Suffolk, in 1976.

In the early 1980s Fleetwood made caravans for rival manufurer Cavalier Caravans who were based in Felixstowe. Eventually though Cavalier became a Fleetwood range, sitting below the Colchester range.

In 1987 Fleetwood was bought by KABE of Sweden. Some Crystal models were made at Long Melford and sold in Sweden as the KABE Crystal. UK Crystal models were sold in the KABE ‘house’ colours of red and white at the same time as the Swedish models.

In 2003, KABE sold 50% of their shares in Fleetwood to Adria of Solvenia. The following year Adria bought the remaining 50% of the company, with Adria Concessionaires moving to Long Melford, where they remained until 2013 when they moved to Sudbury, Suffolk.

For 2005 the Fleetwood Sonata range was made in Slovenia, based on the Adria Adora range. Other models were still made in Long Melford though.
On 6th January 2009 however, accountants KPMG were appointed administrators for the company. David Standish, a KPMG accountant said efforts to save the company were ongoing. He said “Following careful consideration of all of the options available it became clear the Fleetwood Caravans Ltd had no alternative other than to be placed in administration”.

The closure of the Slovenian owned company, which had a turnover of £7 million a year was blamed on the recession and falling orders. Fleetwood used to produce 600 caravans a year at Long Melford.
It was rumored that Fleetwood caravans would be made in Slovenia by Adria, however that didn’t happen and it was the end of Fleetwood after over 40 years of trading.

With the above in mind, it is quite clear that although owned by Adria for some time, the vans were built in the UK to original Fleetwood specifications.

Aug 31, 2019
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
You may find this interesting:

Fleetwood Caravans was founded in 1966 in Chadwell Heath, London before moving to Colchester in Essex, and then finally to Long Melford, Suffolk, in 1976.

In the early 1980s Fleetwood made caravans for rival manufurer Cavalier Caravans who were based in Felixstowe. Eventually though Cavalier became a Fleetwood range, sitting below the Colchester range.

In 1987 Fleetwood was bought by KABE of Sweden. Some Crystal models were made at Long Melford and sold in Sweden as the KABE Crystal. UK Crystal models were sold in the KABE ‘house’ colours of red and white at the same time as the Swedish models.

In 2003, KABE sold 50% of their shares in Fleetwood to Adria of Solvenia. The following year Adria bought the remaining 50% of the company, with Adria Concessionaires moving to Long Melford, where they remained until 2013 when they moved to Sudbury, Suffolk.

For 2005 the Fleetwood Sonata range was made in Slovenia, based on the Adria Adora range. Other models were still made in Long Melford though.
On 6th January 2009 however, accountants KPMG were appointed administrators for the company. David Standish, a KPMG accountant said efforts to save the company were ongoing. He said “Following careful consideration of all of the options available it became clear the Fleetwood Caravans Ltd had no alternative other than to be placed in administration”.

The closure of the Slovenian owned company, which had a turnover of £7 million a year was blamed on the recession and falling orders. Fleetwood used to produce 600 caravans a year at Long Melford.
It was rumored that Fleetwood caravans would be made in Slovenia by Adria, however that didn’t happen and it was the end of Fleetwood after over 40 years of trading.

With the above in mind, it is quite clear that although owned by Adria for some time, the vans were built in the UK to original Fleetwood specifications.
cheers interesting info. My van however says built in Slovenia so assumed it was Adria.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts