european breakdown cover

Feb 22, 2007
Visit site
we are covered for uk breakdown with the RAC through our insurance company top cover, but because of this they will not upgrade to cover us in europe as we get a very good deal with them. we have tried green flag, AA and the RAC but they all say they will only cover a caravan up to 7mtrs but we have a twin axle elddis avante 630 which spec says it is 7.85. i would like to know from anyone who has had the same problem and has managed to obtain cover and with which companys.

thanks nigel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Nigel

We are going to Brittany on PC rally, and have TA, our breakdown cover is with euro assist, based in Haywards Heath,this is our third time with them, they were excellent when we needed them last time, except for the hire car they arranged while ours was being repaired,cost for 9 days is somewhere around

Feb 22, 2007
Visit site
Hi Nigel

We are going to Brittany on PC rally, and have TA, our breakdown cover is with euro assist, based in Haywards Heath,this is our third time with them, they were excellent when we needed them last time, except for the hire car they arranged while ours was being repaired,cost for 9 days is somewhere around

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
Hi Nigel we have 8m twin axle Bailey and use Caravan Club May Day holiday insurance and breakdown cover. You can get these separately if you dont want both. Not sure how it compares in price but was worth it last year when we broke down 2nd day en route to Biarritz. We were taken to a caravan site near Abbeville and after few days they provided hire car (brought out from UK) which we used for full 3 weeks remaining while our car was taken nack to UK until we got back. They also shipped out replacement stabelizer friction pads after over zealous and angry French recovery man broke ours! Depends what you need I suppose but after looking forward to a long holiday all year we want peace of mind that if anything goes wrong with car or van we can carry on with our holiday.

Jul 31, 2006
Visit site
Nigel,

I find that a bit strange as my caravan is covered for breakdown recovery, including continental cover, by the RAC, albiet as an aditional benefit through my caravan insurers Towergate Bakers & my vans shipping length is 7.194 metres!

My car, an Audi is also covered by the RAC through Audi & when I enquired last year, with Towergate & Audi as to whether I'd need to contact the RAC to let them know I'm going abroad with the van both said no it's automatically covered.

Feb 22, 2007
Visit site
Nigel,

I find that a bit strange as my caravan is covered for breakdown recovery, including continental cover, by the RAC, albiet as an aditional benefit through my caravan insurers Towergate Bakers & my vans shipping length is 7.194 metres!

My car, an Audi is also covered by the RAC through Audi & when I enquired last year, with Towergate & Audi as to whether I'd need to contact the RAC to let them know I'm going abroad with the van both said no it's automatically covered.
thanks george i will give my insurance firm a call to see what they can do thanks nigel

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Breakdown cover is provided by all car manufacturers when they are new, but it varies tremendously.

I have had Audis and Kias and they come with a full 3 year's comprehensive RAC breakdown cover, including cover for a caravan, and continental European cover. The cover is ongoing for the 3 years, and you do not need to notify them of trips.

I have also had Fords, and they only provide minimum cover for 1 year. I found when I wanted to extend it for trips to Europe it was cheaper to take out separate cover with another company.

Towergate Baker caravan insurance includes RAC recovery in Europe for accidents only - unless you take out separate breakdown cover with them.

I'm pretty sure that in all cases, though, the RAC will only cover vans up to 7 metres, and I too would be interested to hear of any company that covers more than this.

Keith

Jan 5, 2008
Visit site
Be careful if you intend relying on the free cover provided with a new car. Quite often it only covers faults with the vehicle that would be covered by warranty. If you have a collision and the car is undriveable then you are not covered.If you are a member of CC then I would suggest Red Pennant.Expensive but worth it if anything happens.

Steve

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
Nigel

All the replies to your topic are centered on the car. if it should breakdown. have you given any thought if it may be you or a member of your group that has problems. I would not leave my place to travel abroad with the van without CC cover via Red Pennant. never had to use it yet but if I should !!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
HI Nigel

Europ Assistance Customer Services Department 01444 442442, we arranged our cover with them through eurocamp independant, and Carefree which is the travel service for CCC use them also, hope this helps.

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Steve

Rest assured, I always read the small print! ....and I have never had a new car (in recent years) that comes with less than full breakdown cover - although as I explained this varies tremendously according to the car, and you obviously have to read the policy details. There may be cars out there that only come with the limited cover you mention - but I haven't come across any.

As you say, if you have an accident you may not be covered by your breakdown cover, but that is because it is then an insurance matter, and it is important to have a decent car insurance policy. Similarly your caravan will be covered for accident including recovery after an accident if you have a decent caravan policy, and a decent car breakdown policy will cover your caravan also for breakdown. Personal illness or accident is covered by a decent personal travel policy.

The operative word in all this is "decent", and you obviously need to read the policies in detail.

If you feel safer with the Caravan Club, that is fine, and your choice, but we are all free to choose the cover we like.

I think Nigel's question was merely about acceptance of 'vans over 7 metres.

Keith

Jan 5, 2008
Visit site
Keith,

"Citroen Assist" provided with new cars only provides for issues that would be covered by warranty. At one time it was a very comprehensive policy that also covered full European cover but over the years has been eroded to its current status.

Steve

Jul 1, 2005
Visit site
Steve, I agree with comments re Citroen Assist, with my 04 Pic the assist package was with RAC and had full pan euro cover, but with my 07 Pic its provided by the AA and is really very basic,doesnt even cover wheel changes which in some circumstances can be a real safety concern.They will come out and assist you but there is a hefty charge. With this in mind i have full RAC Arrival cover through C&CC

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Steve (and Jonathan) - I wasn't aware that some policies had eroded so much. It doesn't surprise me though,as long as they can advertise that a car comes with breakdown cover, some will try to cut their costs to a minimum and hope you don't notice, at least until after you have bought the car.

Jenifer - I'm not sure there is a policy that covers all eventualities. Caravan Club policies may be good, but you still need a car insurance policy, caravan insurance policy, Mayday cover, and Red Pennant (since Mayday only covers the UK) This amounts to four policies, and (correct me if I'm wrong) you still don't get world wide personal annual cover for non caravan trips!

Keith

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts