european breakdown cover

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
hi we are looking to take out breakdown cover for our trip to france i have asked the R A C their quote is 142.00 the AA quote is £103 the cover seems much the same but that price difference concerns me, am i missing something, any addvice would be appreceated thanks franklin

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Hi i don't know the differance between these two but if you are a member of the caravan club then try red pennant i used these last year and for medical+breakdown cover for 4 people car/caravan we paid

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Just a small reminder on euro cover, read the small print about whome to contact and telephone number, if its free phone your mobile will not put you through unless you know the lingo what country you are in.They also give the usual number ie code plus number but some times its not on the same page.This i learned after a blowout in France.My fault in not reading small print.

Apr 26, 2005
Visit site
Hello, We take out Red Pennant & they were fantastic when our nearly new X-Trail broke down this April. It's not worth trying to save a pound or two. Get the best if you need it it's more than anything.

Apr 17, 2005
Visit site
Hi franklin. I have used a breakdown service twice, both times were quite a while ago. The first time was with Britannia Rescue in Scotland for a vehicle problem. The second was in the South of France with a caravan problem. I received an excellent service in both cases, and was particularly impressed with the CC's Red Pennant service in locating a part and couriering it to my campsite near Perpignan.

I now use the Britannia Rescue De-Luxe plus Personal cover, which covers the car and caravan up to 8m, plus any vehicle in which I or my wife are travelling (the European aspect is only for our own vehicle and caravan.) This is for annual cover and this year cost us

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
with breakdown cover for car & caravan abroad I will only trust dedicated caravan clubs cover to avoid any unsuspected pitfalls of which many have been posted on forums such as this such as a fault with the van & not the car resulted in car ok for repat but the van cost's

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
hi many thanks for all your help i think that because of the vewr different types and prices the best one is not allways the cheapest and i will go with the one recomended by the camping and caravan club once again thankyou franklin

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi

This my salutory tale which I post in answer to your type of question!!

Red Pennant for me.

Two scenarios

2006. With Britannia Rescue. Car had major gearbox problems on the way home in Belgium. Despite loads of phone calls left for over 2 hours on dangerous area of Belgian autoroute contr-flow and pouring rain. We were put on caravan site & car to local dealer.

A few days later car supposedly repaired - only an oil leak??!! Lasted all of 10km and broke down again - same problem. Another long wait on hard should in growing dusk. A passing lorry wandered onto shoulder and smashed our warning triangle. We stood on the verge expecting a lorry to plough into the back of our outfit at any minute. Fortunately break down truck arrived. Back to campsite campsite and car to garage when declared major gearbox problem, as I had said in first place.

After a lot of argy-bargy with BR and their USELESS European agents we were given a hire car which we swapped at Calais for another and transported most of belongings home and another hire car at home. Car and caravan to follow later. Much later - after frequent cancellations car and caravan finally arrived home about 6 weeks later.

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site
I have used Red Pennant for many years, I have been very lucky and have never needed their help, but two of my friends have and they both received excellent service.

Peter

Apr 22, 2006
Visit site
I use RP as my main fear is always what happens if the problem is with the van not the car. You hear of so many people having issues with breakdown companies who do not want to touch the caravan.

By the way Tim what kind of car is it you have ?

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Slowcoach

To answer your question. Our previous car was Vauxhall Monterey (re-badged) Isuzu Trooper. We have now replaced it wit a 2007 Kia Sorento Titan (auto) I am very pleased with our new car. It towed us approx 3K miles this summer to the Pyrenees without a murmur.

Tim

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts