European touring

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
What's your style of caravanning? After our Group Editor's European tour this summer, he's reflected upon the different touring styles found across the Channel. To read his latest blog, just click here.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
umm i must have been running into usual continentals the last few decades towing their caravans as the Austrians, Germans and Netherlanders I've come across don't seem to move every few days.well some do but they seem to have motorhomes . having said that most of the brits i come across also don't seem too either.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We are a few days here and a few days there sort of travelers. We tend to go to look at specific things and then move on although when we go abroad we do tend to stay longer on sites.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Getting a bit old for constant site changing so we tend to use the same sites to and from our long stay (Spring) site in SE Spain. Autumn trip to Provence has also settled into a routine with the occasional variation to see something not seen before ( in 50 years of visiting France) or to meet up with friends.

Over the years the biggest change seen has been the increase in %age of motor vans against towed caravans. Now quite rare to see a European owned towed van and more often than not owned by senior citizens. All seem blissfully unaware of "85% rules" need for extension mirrors, having the noseweight positive, wheel and hitch clamps and all the other stuff we fuss about. They also seem a lot less interested in caravan DIY and express surprise at some of my additions - both at how useful they are and that I did them myself.

Another big difference is that they do not seem to use the facilities of the caravan/motorvan to the extent the Brits. do. It is very rare to see any of them doing serious cooking 'at home' and they seem extremely impressed with the home made cakes etc. my OH produces and shares. (Note: not under any pressure from me; she just likes doing it). In my early days of touring france I ate out quite a lot, but now most of the small resturants / hotels have closed and those that are open (with a few noteworthy exceptions) seem to have adopted lowest common denominator cooking.

BUT, France is still a great county to visit. Farm sites can be magic, particularly if you have your own facilities in the caravan. As ever, you need to at least try some basic French but the effort is well worth while.

(Before I get accused of neglecting my own country last month we spent two most enjoyable weeks at a CC farm CL in the Midlands not a hundred miles from a very famous real ale brewery, visited Bletchley, met up with a lot of old friends and thoroughly enjoyed even the odd wet day. When insurance/medical restricitons prevent crossing the water, i'm sure we shall find many more such nice places to stay nearer home)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts