Every cloud and all that

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Well I’m now well into day 4 of my 12 week lock up, I’m now of the opinion that if I continue in the way it’s begun I’m not going to want to go back to work, I feel wholeheartedly for everyone who has lost jobs or has been forced to stay at home through illness (god help you) or people struggling financially already, my age helps that I’d already started to plan for not working as far as finances are concerned so I’m able to brings things forward, if this had happened when I was in my 20’s through to 40’s I doubt I’d be as happy as I am now, I’m far from wealthy but I don’t dread the postman dropping bills through the letterbox which believe me I used to, I hope anyone whose livelihoods have been affected get the help you need, I am hoping that the chancellor comes up with a plan to drop 5k a month through my letterbox, I’m daydreaming now, so I’m not burning my savings up but if I have so be it, anyway as per the topic title every cloud etc, I’ve almost finished decorating a hallway which was a job I kept telling her indoors would get done when I retired, I bought tile tile adhesive for bathroom floor and wall tiles I bought about 9 months ago, again a retirement job that’s likely to be brought forward, my front and back gardens have never in 45+ years of married life looked as good so early in the year, not even the end of March and both lawns have now been mowed twice, the weather is a bonus which is something that lots of us would be making use of by dashing out to polish the tug and get away, oh well let’s hope we survive to go on many trips to come, I’m even enjoying coming on here and sharing chit chat like this, I really must be going soft in my dotage, all you younger people on here your time of being more secure will return and you’ll feel as secure as us oldies do one day, like me then you’ll look back and thank whichever god you believe in, something I’ve wondered about is when people look back what will this awful time be called ? I doubt it’ll be called covid 19 but it’s sure to have a well used name, like the Great War, the Spanish flu, the summer of 76, only time will tell.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
With the "bill" this and many other countries are and will be continuing to run up, I would not be confident in my pension and savings keeping anything resembling their pre Covid-19's real value.

Borrowing and printing all this money will cost nearly everyone very dearly as time unfolds, sadly all a bit negative, but will unfortunately be the case, the money is being lent not given to the UK.

IMO, there is collectively going to be no "silver lining" other than actually surviving it.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I am dreading our water bill, this summer, eldest son, thankfull got out of London last week , and is living with us, at least he brought food and beer, so three of us , showering and frequently washing hands, and ablutions. The bill will be high.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I understand B&Q are doing the same as Screwfix, only certain items and on click and collect. Got plenty of jobs to do, we're lucky, we own a 3 acre field opposite our house with our horses on, who need usual care, and we also keep our caravan on it. Maybe the only place we use it this year! Stay safe.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I understand B&Q are doing the same as Screwfix, only certain items and on click and collect. Got plenty of jobs to do, we're lucky, we own a 3 acre field opposite our house with our horses on, who need usual care, and we also keep our caravan on it. Maybe the only place we use it this year! Stay safe.
But surely Click and Collect is not essential travel.
And what about people with horses in fields that need attention, I suppose the police might turn an eye in rural areas.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
But surely Click and Collect is not essential travel.
And what about people with horses in fields that need attention, I suppose the police might turn an eye in rural areas.
Click and collect might be essential if you have a plumbing leak, or blocked drainage. Not any different to a plumber travelling for work. But there must only be a limited range of “ essential “ materials.
As far as horses in fields are concerned similar to a farmer visiting his/ her stock. Animal welfare is still eligible. Our vets have cancelled routine appointments such as vaccinations, clipping nails, teeth descaled etc, but today I drove down to pick up antibiotics for one of the dogs. The vet did a remote video/ photo consultation Whilst the dog was at home. I then paid by phone and picked up the antibiotics from their car park. No contact or breaching 2 m rule. Medication was bagged so I removed outer bag with gloves on and wiped down the medicine box with antibacterial wipe.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I understand that animal welfare is allowed, although as our field gate is literally 5metres away directly opposite our gate it doesn't really cause a problem. You are allowed to take dogs out I think, but as has been said, once (if) this is all over we will face some huge changes. I'm lucky, my wife and I are retired, but I worry about our children and grandchildren, who we now can't even see. Heart breaking.

Reactions: JezzerB
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Lets be real here. The only thing that matters is our health and surviving this. We can pick up the pieces as best we can afterwards. This situation isnt ideal, but apart from the threat of ill health, we could be far worse off. I have seen real famine in Africa, and genocide too, and the height of the Balkans conflict at its most depraved, trust me, in comparison we arent in bad shape.

I would like to take the opportunity to wish you all good luck, and hope and trust that you and your families come through this unscathed.

For ourselves, we are totally fine, we have a large store of dried and tinned foods, two full freezers, none of which are being touched yet, and our sons in law, who unfortunately are both key workers, drop us a food parcel daily. As a hint here, one travels the county with his job, and he reports the farm shops are well provisioned. If anyone is struggling, thats always a good shout.

Stiff upper lips chaps...................THERE WILL ALWAYS BE AN ENGLAND

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
So far for us it's strangely relaxing, no pressure to go anywhere or do anything away from home. I Work from home anyway so no change there luckily, just hoping the company survives ok. but our children are either furloughed or worried sick as self-employed. We're getting a few jobs done, but limited to what's
on th shelf in the shed and garage.

I hear b&q workers are rightly upset they are risking their health for people making "essential" trips to buy garden furniture, unbelievable that they are even selling it.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
My daughter is a keyworker at a school, on a daily basis she has arguments with parents who insist they are keyworkers and want to bring their children in, it’s amazing how many people think they are important enough that the rules don’t apply to them, the doctors surgery where my wife works is so understaffed it’s amazing they are still functioning at all, as it is the doors have to be kept locked and only get opened in rare cases.

BP

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Lets be real here. The only thing that matters is our health and surviving this. We can pick up the pieces as best we can afterwards. This situation isnt ideal, but apart from the threat of ill health, we could be far worse off. I have seen real famine in Africa, and genocide too, and the height of the Balkans conflict at its most depraved, trust me, in comparison we arent in bad shape.

I would like to take the opportunity to wish you all good luck, and hope and trust that you and your families come through this unscathed.

For ourselves, we are totally fine, we have a large store of dried and tinned foods, two full freezers, none of which are being touched yet, and our sons in law, who unfortunately are both key workers, drop us a food parcel daily. As a hint here, one travels the county with his job, and he reports the farm shops are well provisioned. If anyone is struggling, thats always a good shout.

Stiff upper lips chaps...................THERE WILL ALWAYS BE AN ENGLAND
Thanks for the good wishes and ditto. We started to use farm shops and deliveries when panic buying cropped up and Sainsbury’s deliveries or click and collect became impossible. It‘s likely that we will continue to support those businesses when we emerge from this tunnel.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
And the exact opposite has been my understanding compared to the arrangements made throughout much of the world.
Did you watch Newsnight last night?
Tell those on the NHS front line they are ahead of the game and see the response you get!
Distancing "rules" are not hard to create - and for that matter there are plenty of examples to follow. Let's hope your impression is spot on.
My daughter is a keyworker at a school, on a daily basis she has arguments with parents who insist they are keyworkers and want to bring their children in, it’s amazing how many people think they are important enough that the rules don’t apply to them, the doctors surgery where my wife works is so understaffed it’s amazing they are still functioning at all, as it is the doors have to be kept locked and only get opened in rare cases.

BP
Agree totally B. Am in education and am and really do not mind, keeping the school open for our doctors children-both on the frontline . However the amount of parents that simply don't want or cannot cope with their children and are therefore trying to send them in under some pretence or other beggars belief. Ultimately they are putting their own health at risk by increasing the risk of spread and that has really annoyed me-same with free school meals-they want vouchers but not sandwiches-sorry if they really needed the meals they'd take the sandwiches! Rant over.

Reactions: Beehpee
May 7, 2012
Visit site
As someone lucky enough to have a good work pension I do feel sorry for those who now find themselves losing their jobs.
With three daughters all now settled down, of the six in total, only one seems to be affected in the short term, and is likely to have a 29% wage cu,t but that should not be fatal. Her husband who works on health and safety has actually had to do overtime but from home to help keep their information up to date.
We feel pretty lucky the way they are all in reasonably secure jobs, so just keeping our fingers crossed we all come out of it without too much problem. Without being able to go out, the savings are adding up rapidly and we should be able to help if need be.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
We are lucky and feel for those who are losing jobs and others who are on their own. We are retired , our two off-springs are both essential. Daughter a teacher who is on a two week on two weeks off rota and son is a hydraulic technician who works from home with his purple van. Hearing other people's stories makes not going out in our caravan look trivial in the extreme.

TRENDING THREADS