Ex.storage site with holding money

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi.
I gave my old storage compound 1 months notice that I didn't wish to store my caravan with them anymore.
I paid 1 years fees on 1st.April last year and the notice I gave,takes me up to the end of this month.
I am therefore due 8 months money.
Just received this email from them....

"I just wanted to send you a quick update…

Existing occupants of storage bays will be charge for the length of their term or until the space can be relet.

When a space is relet, we can offer a refund for the remainder of the term.

At present we have not been able to relet your storage bay but as soon as it is reserved we will offer a refund."

Surely they cannot do this can they????
Unfortunately,I can't find the original terms and conditions when I signed for my "plot".

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
You are entitled to ask them for a copy of the contract that you signed and under a Subject Access Request they will need to supply the copy.
However most storage sites have similar terms regarding early termination. I am surprised that they do not have a waiting list as long as your arm?

May 24, 2014
Visit site
They probably do have a waiting list but they arent going to fess up to that if they can charge twice. Go around there and see if your space is occupied.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
They probably do have a waiting list but they arent going to fess up to that if they can charge twice. Go around there and see if your space is occupied.
If they are charging someone else for the same plot and making a financial gain I would think that is illegal.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
I'm surprised they don't have a waiting list.
I was on the list for over 4 months before a space became available.

Were talking over £360 here which is money I can't afford to lose.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

Our storage has a waiting list of 50 people as that is their cut off point. It took us nearly 6 months to get onto the storage site and that was because we knew the owner and had used them previously. We were (51) and got on because they opened a new area for storage.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Going to pop up this afternoon.
Will let you know the outcome.

Can they refuse to give me copy of my storage terms and conditions when I signed up.?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You are entitled to ask them for a copy of the contract that you signed and under a Subject Access Request they will need to supply the copy.
However most storage sites have similar terms regarding early termination. I am surprised that they do not have a waiting list as long as your arm?
My site gave a pro rata refund less the months notice. And it arrived as a cheque very quickly after I let them know the caravan had been sold and I’d returned the entry gate fobs. All done in line with the T and Cs of the storage agreement.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Going to pop up this afternoon.
Will let you know the outcome.

Can they refuse to give me copy of my storage terms and conditions when I signed up.?
No they should show you the storage agreement that you signed. There’s nothing illegal about reletting if you have terminated your agreement within the terms agreed. One months notice allows you time to remove your caravan and the site time to administer your leaving and a new owner renting a pitch. Call it an admin fee which insurers often charge for noting a policy change. But retention of the remaining period isn’t good practice. But let’s see what you signed up to. Was this the site that insisted on using their service engineers?

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

That was the same where we are we was on the waiting list then after six months they said we have a space for you :)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
No they should show you the storage agreement that you signed. There’s nothing illegal about reletting if you have terminated your agreement within the terms agreed.
I was referring to if the relet it and still did not offer a refund. Apologies for not making that clear.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Right then.....
Just returned from my/old storage site.
Went through the coded gates and found that my "pitch" is still empty.
Came out and asked the receptionist for a copy of my Storage Licence Agreement.
She gladly handed me a copy and it states,(in very small writing).....

"In the event of the licensee terminating the contract before the expiry date,there will be no refunds"

Receptionist said that 9 times out of 10,
the owner does refund the remaining full months money providing the "pitch" is re-let.

I think even if I had read this when signed the agreement,I was so desperate for storage,I would have agreed to it anyway.(especially only being 4 miles from home).

So thats it.....just have to wait for someone to "move into my old pitch".

Anyone?????....no???...don't blame you.😂

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
After reading this I thought I would check the terms of my agreement. It is very simple and very basic. No word of what I can and cant do etc.

I pay yearly in advance, but that's my choice. If I paid monthly it would be the same. If I had to leave I think he would reimburse without a problem. But just in case, I will set up a DD for next year. Same cost, but I can never be more than a month out of pocket.

John

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
My storage site, is just on the edge of Northamptonshire and North Buckinghamshire, RMK, ( Rural Milton Keynes) We now have people 45 Miles away looking for storage pitches, he has gone from 30 Pitches to over 200 in 10 years. Iam lucky in a barn under cover, £440 a year paid, every 6 months.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My storage site, is just on the edge of Northamptonshire and North Buckinghamshire, RMK, ( Rural Milton Keynes) We now have people 45 Miles away looking for storage pitches, he has gone from 30 Pitches to over 200 in 10 years. Iam lucky in a barn under cover, £440 a year paid, every 6 months.
Similar to ours started of small but he has increased the numbers now to 120 and there is a waiting list but ours is very reasonable about 5 miles from home

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We pay quarterly and if you leave in the quarter no refund. If you paid upfront for the year, you are refunded the unused quarters. Fair enough IMHO.

Reactions: ProfJohnL

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts