Expensive morning

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I've just had a set of 4 new tyres fitted to my Kia Sorento tow tug, plus the 4 wheel alignment to ensure that there is no uneven tread wear.
I specified Hankook tyres, they are OEM for Kia Sorento's but unfortunately these are currently unavailable in this area, so I bought Toyo Urban Terrain 245x70R16 tyres which were recommended by other Sorento owners.
The old tyres were of mixed origin, they were on when I bought the car but now the sidewalls had begun to crack where the tread meets the sidewall and they were well worn so it was time to change them.
The tyres, including fitting, wheel balancing, new valves and electronic wheel alignment came to £370.60, so I'm hoping that they'll last for a good few years.
They should do, I only use the Kia for towing the caravan except for the occasional wintertime bad weather foray to keep the oil seals supple.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I think thats a good price, I tend to go for Very good Quality tyres. Its the Link between Your car and the road. Hankook, Dunlop, etc Around £100 £130 a tyre. and on the Sante Fe we are getting about 40 K Miles on a set . At present on Nokian Weatherproof , as we were travelling to Switzerland over winter , and they seem to be going towards the 40 k mile area as well.
The 4 wheel alignment I think is well worth the money. And at Quick fit you can watch on the videoscreen what they are doing.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The Toyo urban terrain are not the most expensive but not the cheapest either Hutch. They are in the intermediate price band, there wouldn't be much point in me buying Pirelli, Michelin or Dunlop because for the miles that I do I'd never justify the higher prices.
I don't do mud plugging so All Terrain tyres would have been a waste, these Toyo's have enough grip to get me out of a wet campsite and they are good road tyres,, very quiet and apparently good for fuel consumption.
I tend to avoid Quick Fit, Halfrauds etc and for years have used a local independent tyre fitters who always give honest advice and good service.
Brucie Bonus! Because I bought4 tyres I have a £30 Amazon voucher coming my way :lol:

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Parksy said:
I've just had a set of 4 new tyres fitted to my Kia Sorento tow tug, plus the 4 wheel alignment to ensure that there is no uneven tread wear.
I specified Hankook tyres, they are OEM for Kia Sorento's but unfortunately these are currently unavailable in this area, so I bought Toyo Urban Terrain 245x70R16 tyres which were recommended by other Sorento owners.
The old tyres were of mixed origin, they were on when I bought the car but now the sidewalls had begun to crack where the tread meets the sidewall and they were well worn so it was time to change them.
The tyres, including fitting, wheel balancing, new valves and electronic wheel alignment came to £370.60, so I'm hoping that they'll last for a good few years.
They should do, I only use the Kia for towing the caravan except for the occasional wintertime bad weather foray to keep the oil seals supple.
They should last; esp if you rotate them front to back every 8-10 k miles or so so you get even wear-much preferred for any 4wd vehicle of course-they don't take kindly to different front to rear rolling circumferences!
As you Parksy, I always avoid the biggies and go to a local fitter I trust with a proper machine that doesn't damage rims. I usually get prices on line for what I fancy and then go to my dealer for a 'chat'. He usually comes up well on price! I too go for mid range-Toyo have a good reputation but most of the mid range tyres are actually subdivisions of the big names-just without the premium price! I would never fit cheap tyres however-bad experience with a pair of landsail tyres on a second hand car I once bought-it definitely sailed over the land rather than gripping in the wet! I like Falken but have fitted Hankook-now pushing up to the top brands imo, and GT Champiro with good results.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
My front tyres are down to 2 mm and going away early December. For the sake of safety given the uncertain weather I am looking at replacing them and will start looking around soon.

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
I always use Black Circles .com Always had a good price from them for the Cars, Caravan & Motorhome and you choose where you have them fitted yourself. What's more they have a GENUINE lottery that you can enter when you purchase the tyres which if you are the weekly winner you get a refund of the price you paid for the tyres in a cheque. It IS genuine-I know I won it! 4 Michelin tyres for the Motorhome complete free of charge including fitting.
I have no connection whatsoever with Black Circles-just a very satisfied customer and would definitely recommend to others
Mike

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
When I changed my 4 caravan tyres a couple of years ago I used Tyres on the Drive and the tyres were fitted complete with wheel balancing on my drive at home.
The tyres were not any cheaper than they would have been from my local dealer that I always use, but it would have been very awkward to get the caravan into the tyre fitting bay.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Many years ago I took my van to Kwikfit and they replaced the tyres on the forecourt, not a problem, when I contacted them last year they said they could not do it as they didn't know where to jack the caravan. !!!
So got onto them again and the mobile fitter came out, by that time I had removed the wheel , fitted the spare, helped him remove and replace the tyron band, then done the other wheel. Wheels replaced with new tyres maybe 1 1/2 hours.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
For the caravan we have used e tyres who were very good and came to you. I am reluctant to use a tyre depot as they are usually not set up to take caravans with very little room to move.

TRENDING THREADS