Extension Tow Mirrors.

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I was given a set of Milenco Aero 3 as part of a starter's kit when I picked up my caravan. After using them for a couple of times I changed to the Milenco Grand Aero, I have been very happy with them.

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
No, mine are the standard width, and have the flat mirror, not the convex one.
I’ve had the same set of Milencos now since Aero came out. They have fitted Sorento, XC70, Skoda Superb and now Forester. They are easy to fit. Spares if required readily available. And work they well for me. I bought a flat for my side and convex for the nearside.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have the Grand Aero, and replaced the clamp feet from the flat ones to the wedged shaped ones, they grip really well. I have the arm angled down, so the mirror is at the same level as the cars mirror.
Not a rock steady rear view when on the Motorway at 59.5mph. But very good.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Whatever you choose,see if you can try one on the car.I have the basic type extension mirrors that grip top and bottom with 2 rubber straps,I had to grind down the plastic to fit it between the glass and outer casing,I think the millenco aero and like fit the Kuga,but best check first.

Reactions: Graham1955
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Had some of those horrid ones held on by bands-lots of marks on the mirror body every time-got a set of Milenco grand and they are absolutely SUPERB!

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
I have the Grand Aero, and replaced the clamp feet from the flat ones to the wedged shaped ones, they grip really well. I have the arm angled down, so the mirror is at the same level as the cars mirror.
Not a rock steady rear view when on the Motorway at 59.5mph. But very good.

Same here, but I haven't changed the feet, and don't have any issues...

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We had Milenco Grand Aero but when we changed the car they would not stay on the new one. If you are buying from a dealer, ask if you can try them before you buy and if there is a problem swap them for another type.
I have used strap on mirrors many times and have had no problems with scratching, but you do need to check the mirror body is clean before strapping them on.

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Because I don't change my car too often, and because I tried all the clamp or rubber band types - I've now got mirrors specifically made for the car. EMUK (made in Germany) fit my BMW like a glove and are rock steady at all speeds. Sorry, I don't know if they make mirrors for the Kuga but if they do, then you won't be disappointed. On the downside they are expensive and invariably sourced through a German supplier - although Amazon do have some

Reactions: JezzerB
Feb 15, 2020
Visit site
I have a 2016 Ford Kuga and want to buy some tow mirrors, any advice?
Hi Marks
I have a Kuga also and I have a set of Leisurewisze that attach with suction cups onto the mirror glass. These have not been a problem as yet and you can adjust the angle with your normal mirror controls. They also have a safety band should they fall off although I have not tested it yet
Joe M

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Clive,
I need some new mirrors for the Touareg. So you are happy with the Milencos? Easy to fit and remove?
Why a mixture of convex and flat glass? My original Smats are flat. I never gave a thought to convex. Which is the better way to go.

Feb 15, 2020
Visit site
Clive,
I need some new mirrors for the Touareg. So you are happy with the Milencos? Easy to fit and remove?
Why a mixture of convex and flat glass? My original Smats are flat. I never gave a thought to convex. Which is the better way to go.
Hi
I have a convex on the nearside and a flat for the drivers side. I have also fitted a rear camera for motorway driving and it has been a great help when passing have traffic.
Joe M

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Clive,
Dusty

I have had Milenco clamp on for at least as long as I had the 2004 Sorento and follow on cars. Didn’t have Grand Aero as I’ve found the normal Aero fine. They have fitted four different cars all without any problem.
I preferred the convex on the near side as when touring overseas I got a better view particularly when needing to pull out to change lane and invariably the “navigator” was sound asleep. And I’ve not found them any hindrance either in UK.

One other aspect that I like is that spare clamps can be bought easily. Although I’ve carried some they haven’t been required.

Oh yes very easy to fit and remove and never had any damage to cars mirror paintwork

Reactions: Dustydog
Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
My trials and tribulations with Milenco mirrors....
I like the basic design of the Milenco mirrors and have tried both the Grand Aero and the standard Aero but both have suffered vibration when fitted to my 2015 Tiguan. I have tried mounting on the top edge or the bottom of the cars mirror housings and moved the clamps arounds but the problem persisted.
I replaced the steel tubes that the mirrors are mounted on for think walled aluminium straight tube. This reduced the mass of the mirror/shaft assembly and change the frequency of the vibration. This reduced the movement but still the mirrors vibrate enough to be annoying particularly at night as they cause the headlights of the following to flicker.
I decided a new approach was needed. After fixing the mirrors to a piece of steel mounted in a vice I found the plastic clamps flexed sufficiently to allow the mirrors to vibrate around a horizontal axis. Also the thicker the edge the mirror was clamped to the less the mirror vibrated
I have sine made replacement mirror clamps out of HE30 aluminium along with the tube clamps but still retained the Milenco pads.
This has increased the torsional stiffness of the whole assembly around the horizontal axis. I have yet to try the modified mirror kit on a decent journey.
I understand why the clamps are made from the materials milenco have chosen as using the materials I choose would make the cost excessive.

From my experiments I came to the conclusion that all mirrors for towing are a massive compromise and we shouldn't expect them to perform well for every application in every environment for the price we pay.

B

Beachball2

At present I had these in the last season ok on the driving side but my passenger side was using the car mirror ( First Photo Milenco .Aero Towing Mirrors)
I have brought these to try out this season in the second photo
So I am hoping they are the perfect fit

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    636.7 KB · Views: 1
  • p.jpg
    p.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 1
Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
These are my efforts. They are basically Milenco Grand aero but with aluminium brackets and arms.
They have reduced the vibration considerably but the plastic housing of the mirrors flex a good bit. Maybe the next project!

Attachments

• IMG_0004.jpeg
    IMG_0004.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Milenco Grand Aero Towing Mirrors would be a great match for my Tiguan

Hi Beachball,

My Tiguan is a 2015 5N model and the standard Milenco mirrors work fine with the F pads on the clamps.
I am a bit picky and couldn't accept the mirror wobble particularly when using the Grand aero mirror heads on fully extended arms.
So I re-engineered the clamps and arms to illuminate as much vibration as possible.

Reactions: Beachball

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts