External Screw fixings for Awning Poles

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
I don't have any fixings on my caravan or awning on which to attach the awning poles. I'm currently using 3 rubber pads which are pretty rubbish and need to be secured each time with gaffer tape.
I've now bought a pack of Mounting Bracks which need to be screwed onto the van, into which the hooks on the end of the poles can slip through.

So here's my question(s)....I'm a bit nervous about making holes in the outside of the van and wondered if there's anything I need to know or do to make sure it stays watertight. Also, which way up is it best to mount the brackets; with the hooks going in side ways or top to bottom?

Thanks

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Before you wreck the side of the caravan please tell us the make and model of awning. It must be very old if it doesn't use a caravan user friendly method of attachment.
Once we have your answer we will try and help.

Cheers

Dustdyog

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
It is!
The awning is an Isabella Amabassidor 2501 which dates back to early 1990's.
There's not enough of a ridge (?) around the edge of the awning on which to clip a Fix-It clip/device (apologies if that doesn't make any sense).
The caravan is nearly as old, didn't come with the awning and doesn't have anything on the side which would help.

Incidently, I also bought some rubber pads from Royal which in theory can be stuck onto the awning and hang down and have a hole in which to slip the hook. Problem is no one was willing or able to give me a straight answer (at retailer, Royal or Isabella) as to which was the best glue to use. They were all concerned about ruining the waterproofing so kept passing the buck.
In the meantime I saw someone use these mounting brackets and it looked so easy (and easier than the rubber pads) that I thought that was the way to go.

Thanks

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
My last 'van had a very old awning using rubber sucker type fixings. They didn't actually stick to the side because of the ribbed construction of the side but the tension in the awning ridge poles kept them in place.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
Our old awning was the same, with rubber suckers it worked fine, bearing in mine it is the tension on the awning that keeps the poles / sucker in place. Perhaps you need more tension.
I try to avoid drilling holes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts