FAR NORTHERN SCOTTISH SITES

Jun 3, 2006
Visit site
Hello!

I'm hoping to spend a couple of weeks in September touring the far north of Scotland in either my 1935 Winchester or 1958 Freeman caravan. I was wondering if any forum members know of any sites, ideally near the coast, between Ullapool and Thurso.

With thanks,

Richard.

May 30, 2006
Visit site
Try the Sands Hoiiday Centre Gairloch. great views, and a nice beach. Check caravan forums on it for reviews. Also stock up in supplys no big supermarkets in that part of Scotland..

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Richard,

I posted an answer which was lost in the ether,so second time lucky!!

In May we stopped at Ardmair Point approx 5miles north of Ullapool

www.ardmair.com

It was a lovely spot right at the waterside with good facilities on site.Just sitting looking at the scenery was a pleasure.

A lot of people seemed to be heading north to Durness The most westerly point and stopping at the caravan site Sango Sands.Haven't been there so can't comment.

We also stopped at the Caravan Club site Grummore ( Altnaharra )

Although this is inland it is right on the shores of Loch Naver and is a wonderful spot if you like isolation.( It is a no facility site )but has electrics.

At Melvich we stayed a couple of nights at the Halladale Inn.This is a very small park and if it is busy,the vans would be very close to each other.Toilet facilities were ok BUT shower controls were temperamental ranging from ice cold to scalding hot within seconds,so you took your chances!Although this wasn't at the waterside,a few minutes drive down the road took you to an enormous sandy beach with not a soul on it.There is a good local shop in Melvich for supplies and Thurso approx 20miles away has a COOP supermarket and LIDL.

We drove past a caravan site at Bettyhill and from what we saw from the road,driving past was the best thing to do.

Hope this helps you.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
My reply was also lost so Iwill try again.

Grannies Highland Hame in Dornoch. Dornoch is a lovely little town with Great Beaches, and one of the top ten Links Golf Courses in the World. Portmahomack is also nice, on the other side of the Firth. Tain has a good co-op supermarket. Dornoch is around 40 miles north of Inverness just off the A9.

Val & Frank

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Richard,

We lived in the north of Scotland from 1980 - 1987 and cut our caravanning teeth in the highlands. The site at Ardmair, which Maureen mentions, was one of our favourite places and we went there many times. If you like walking in wild places, in spectacular scenery, the area above Ullapool takes some beating. I remember climbing Stac Pollaidh (Stac Polly) which isn't too far away and in good weather there are great views from the top. There is a visitor centre at Knockan, again with great views.

Further north on the A835 there is a site at Scourie, which has the most incredible sunsets. Handa Island is not far away.

We have stayed on the site at Thurso, but this was all several years back and we don't know how the sites may have changed, but by all accounts, the site at Ardmair remains as good as it always was.

Another site we can recommend is Kilvrecht at Kinloch Rannoch (turn off the A9 on to the B847 at Calvine, head for Trinafour, pass through Kinloch Rannoch village to the southern shore of Loch Rannoch. Kilvrecht is a Forestry Commission site on the left, along the southern shore of the loch. No bright lights and skittles here! It has toilets and water, but no electric hookups. Great caravanning set amongst wonderful scenery with lots of walking from the site. A drive along the lochside, joining up with the B846 will bring you to Rannoch Station, on the edge of Rannoch Moor, one of the most photogenic and remote railway stations you will find. When we were last there a tea room had just been opened where we enjoyed a mug of tea and home made cakes. But beware the dreaded midges are in abundance in the summer months!

We shall be setting off with our caravan to the north of Scotland from East Anglia in a weeks time to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary. Hope you have a good holiday too!

Pauline.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Pauline,

Enjoy your holiday next week and I hope all goes well.I think I am right in saying that the Camping and Caravanning Club have now taken over all the forestry camping sites in Britain...If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will say.

Jul 15, 2006
Visit site
just a quick note, to say pack plenty of insect repellant with you at this time of year it can be terrible with those wee scottish midges.

( I ALSO TAKE GARLIC TABLETS AND VITAMIN B TO HELP, THEY SEEM TO BE ABLE TO SENSE IM THERE, BLEEDING THINGS LOL)

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Pauline,

Enjoy your holiday next week and I hope all goes well.I think I am right in saying that the Camping and Caravanning Club have now taken over all the forestry camping sites in Britain...If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will say.
Tried 4 times to reply over the weekend, but it wasn't to be!

Maureen, we shall be visiting Loch Rannoch sometime over the next couple of weeks and will give an update on Kilvrecht when we get back.

Pauline.

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
We encountered the dreaded midges many times, when we lived in Scotland. You would never think something so tiny could cause so much discomfort. Even the deer take to the high tops to get away from them.

The answer to the midge problem for us, it seems, is Avon Skin So Soft dry oil body spray! The National Trust volunteers use it, as well as the Forestry Workers, even the army - so it must work.

We've bought ourselves a couple of bottles and will give it a try.

Pauline.

Jul 15, 2006
Visit site
Pauline,

would you please let me know if it works, as i really suffer in the summer and we have to go to see relatives in scotland and i drive everyone mad scatching and moaning about my bites lol

Bev

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Bev

final attempt to reply)

I can vouch for Skin So soft, I usually get attacked by all things that fly.

We went to Arrochar CC site (now closed) a couple of years ago, known locally as Midge City. Even filling the water without protection was unpleasant.

Applied SSS then went a walk around the loch shore with no midges near us. A chap in a boat rowed over to ask what we were using - he was waving his arms about that much, he nearly capsized.

Same result at Morvich then Dalchalm near Brora.

Regards

Ken

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
If you want to head up the West coast, I would recommend the Linnhe Lochside Park near Fort William. Great site with clean toilets and the most fabulaous views.

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Re the Kilvrecht Caravan and Camping site at Loch Rannoch. We called there recently and the warden told us it is 'Listed' with the C&CC, but it remains a Forestry Commission site.

It has expanded since we were last there, but still remains a good site in a great area. Further details can be obtained from the web.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well, let's hope Richard enjoys his holiday in Scotland!! What a pity he could not say thanks for all the info.he has been given.In my book it's called basic courtesy.....sorry to sound like Mrs Grumpy, but so many people come on asking for advice and are never heard of again.

No doubt they are the same ones who make a booking and then fail to turn up,and also fail to phone to say they are not coming :eek:(

Moan time now finished :eek:)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts