Feeding cable into caravan for 5G antenna while parked up only

May 20, 2024
Visit site
I've a 5g MiFi point that I have an outdoor antenna that can be attached to the outside of the caravan while parked up, to improve the 5G reception. The question is, what's the best way to get the cable into the van without drilling any holes? BEaring in mind that the antenna is probably going on the roof.

May 20, 2024
Visit site
Have to work from the van from time to time and it's fairly graphics intensive. So need as much bandwidth with as little latency as possible. Will drop to 4G if that's all that's available.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Why do you need 5g?
Surely 5 or 4 G uses identical cables, as I though the units auto switched to the most viable signal at the time/location as mobile broadband routers, eg Three's and EE's do?

Is it just nothing other than a USB or DC power line which would readily be accommodated in the compliance of the window seals?

It is easy but wrong to assume we go away in our vans to switch off from normal life. Some of us don't just use a van for breaks, but as a part of "living", living a normal life with normal needs, just not with also being stuck at home.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My godfather would take his caravan to Yorkshire and combine buying sheep and cattle with some time just enjoying the area. He had a Land Rover Series 1 followed by a Land Crab.

So I think he would predate your definition of “Old School”.

Reactions: tim2000s

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Im old school, when away in van everything else is forgot about, im on holiday.
Very "fortunate" there then, we are 24 years into retirement and so our "holidays" are now nearly a quarter of a century back memories.

Now its "living", fortunately something we can do at different places from home but bringing the massive benefit of culturing friendships, both old and new. Living with all that brings, shopping, cooking, unwinding, doing the "chores" paperwork or more physical, replicating our life in our house. Long past is being on the tourist treadmill, we will leave that for others.

Taking too prescriptive a view of what caravanning & motorhoming should involve, misses much that others find the positives.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024
Visit site
Everyone is entitled to their own choices about how they use their caravans, and as long as it's not an illegal activity or one that's interfering or harming others then it's not civil or reasonable to criticise their choices.
i wasnt criticizing their choices, it was just my 2d worth.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My job took me all over the U.K. Fortunately I could name the day for the meeting. Usually a Friday early morning. My MD was more than happy for me to use the caravan in lieu of a hotel. Thus for my last ten years working we had long weekends all paid for including fuel. Obviously I did some work for an hour or so after the meeting writing up the notes .
Sorry to say I was and still am in the camp that says work and play do go together in the caravan.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I knew you had sold your caravan, but did not realise you had two caravans?
Who said i had two caravans but in the past we use one because like you we moved home and lived in a caravan and my wife was travelling from Shropshire to South Yorkshire for work and i was stopping there with our two dogs but i loved the fishing pond the site had .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts