Fiamma caravan door lock.

Jul 18, 2019
Visit site
Hi All
Looking for advice about fitting a Fiamma type door lock to our caravan for a bit of extra security. Ours is a 2006 swift bought to see if we would like this caravan caper, which we do.
Anyway the door frame is quite raised from the wall and quite a step in the door check for the frame fitting model so been thinking the bolt through the wall type maybe better.
Remove the door fly screen and I have access to fit the back plate maybe only 2 of the 4 bolts but that would do me fine as it's a secondary lock. Bit if war and peace here eh, anyway anyone fitted these things before for any advice, thanks Mike.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
nsmik01 said:
Hi All
Looking for advice about fitting a Fiamma type door lock to our caravan for a bit of extra security. Ours is a 2006 swift bought to see if we would like this caravan caper, which we do.
Anyway the door frame is quite raised from the wall and quite a step in the door check for the frame fitting model so been thinking the bolt through the wall type maybe better.
Remove the door fly screen and I have access to fit the back plate maybe only 2 of the 4 bolts but that would do me fine as it's a secondary lock. Bit if war and peace here eh, anyway anyone fitted these things before for any advice, thanks Mike.

Are you thinking about the Fiamma Guardian internal lock or an external one? I don’t feel the external ones add a great deal to overall security. If you see how rapidly thieves can remove hitch locks and wheel locks a door lock wouldn’t present much of a problem. Overall theft from caravans on sites seems very low and it’s rare to see it even mentioned on forums, Clubs or in the caravan magazines. By and large other people on the site do tend to keep an eye out. On CL/CS it could be different but again the lack of others on the site could give thieves more opportunities to enter the van, doing more damage on entering than if a lock were not fitted. Windows and under bed locker access are dead easy to enter too.

Regarding internal security again I can only recall one instance where thieves entered and left a van where the occupants were sleeping. That was at a site near Dunkerque. The site responded by recruiting night security staff ex CRS and Legionairres. Of course if you plan to sleep in your van in public services, lay-bys here or abroad the risks are higher.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts