Filling hose

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I note from reading the bailey on line Caravan manual that it stresses under no circumstances to fill the water container (presumably aquaroll type etc) with a garden hose. Now i can follow the rationale about the on board plumbing being of food quality standard but what exactly are we exposing ourselves to by using a garden hose to fill the aquaroll?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello John Lee,

The potential problem with a "garden hose" is that you don't know what it is made from. It is quite common to use materials and chemicals in the manufacture of none food grade plastics, that can be harmful.

You will see from time to time postings about "Tainted Water", and these often refer to a TCP taste. This is causes by a plasticiser used to keep the plastic flexible, but it should be chemically fixed, so it does not taint the water. Other problems can result of the plastic being slightly porous, which allows algae and other nasties to lock into the plastic, and can therefore multiply and potential get back into the water supply.

The yellow colourant used in some plastics is derived from cadmium a highly toxic substance.

So you can begin to see that none food grade product can be quite unhealthy.

Hope this helps.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello John Lee,

The potential problem with a "garden hose" is that you don't know what it is made from. It is quite common to use materials and chemicals in the manufacture of none food grade plastics, that can be harmful.

You will see from time to time postings about "Tainted Water", and these often refer to a TCP taste. This is causes by a plasticiser used to keep the plastic flexible, but it should be chemically fixed, so it does not taint the water. Other problems can result of the plastic being slightly porous, which allows algae and other nasties to lock into the plastic, and can therefore multiply and potential get back into the water supply.

The yellow colourant used in some plastics is derived from cadmium a highly toxic substance.

So you can begin to see that none food grade product can be quite unhealthy.

Hope this helps.
Thanks John L - sounds like I'd better replace that old green garden hose I've kept in the pack up with the right one!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thtat's very interesting John L and informative as always.

I have been using the reinforced type of garden hose that came with a 10 year guarantee for 30 years to fill the onboard tank when at home and I also have two more recent pack flat hoses (one red and one green) as well as a recently purchased food quality one.

In practice with over 100 days caravaning per year we have never had any water problems (taste or health wise) possibly as all water is either boiled for tea or goes into Scotch whisky.

Now that I have this information I will probably be subject to the revenge of the water sprites or some such fate.

As we say wwhen people push past us "ignoranceis bliss"

Will try to be wiser in future!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thtat's very interesting John L and informative as always.

I have been using the reinforced type of garden hose that came with a 10 year guarantee for 30 years to fill the onboard tank when at home and I also have two more recent pack flat hoses (one red and one green) as well as a recently purchased food quality one.

In practice with over 100 days caravaning per year we have never had any water problems (taste or health wise) possibly as all water is either boiled for tea or goes into Scotch whisky.

Now that I have this information I will probably be subject to the revenge of the water sprites or some such fate.

As we say wwhen people push past us "ignoranceis bliss"

Will try to be wiser in future!!!
Why bother with the water, just stick to the Gin

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts