Finally have a caravan

Aug 6, 2017
Visit site
Greetings all
I've just obtained a fairly old caravan, a 1996 Abi Marauder. A dealer had taken in as a part-ex and it's obviously been someones pride and joy as it's been serviced regularly and seems to be basically sound and dry. (I've had the gas checked over and will get the brakes checked before using it).
I've previously been using tents, then a trailer tent, then a folding camper which I had to sell when we moved area for a new job as I had nowhere to put it. SWMBO declared that any future camping would be a caravan or nothing, so when I saw this caravan become available it was a fairly easy decision.
As you can imagine, I've had a fun few days playing with it and finding out what does and doesn't work, and I reckon I've been lucky as most of it working fine, including the carver gas water heater, the 3 way fridge, oven, grill, hob, thetford toilet etc.
The faults I've found so far are the 12v charger doing nothing (now replaced with smart charger), one internal lamp not working ( now changed unit ), and a broken microswitch in the kitchen hot tap (currently disconnected).
I've also fitted a fuse and isolator switch to the water pump in case of future troubles as the 12v system is old school with no fuses or switches. I'm entertaining fitting a pressure switch and getting rid of the other microswitches as the taps seem quite flimsy and cheap - any comment about the wisdom of this? The most annoying issue was the key being snapped off in external toilet door (which the dealer did point out). I managed to remove the lock, and remove the broken key and lock pins so a trusty screwdriver now does the job!
I spent yesterday pulling all of the road lights apart and cleaning up the contacts. I think we are almost ready to go, the only real remaining problem being one curtain being mouldy after being next to an earlier damp problem on one corner which seems to be satisfactorily repaired. So we need to find/make a replacement curtain.
Obviously it is a gamble getting such an old van but it seems to be sensibly constructed so you can actually get at and fix things, and there was a folder with instructions for everything in it including a manufacturer wiring diagram, which has already been seriously useful.
So, we shall see! I'm hoping the old girl has a few holidays in her yet. Probably a a couple of nights at a relatively local CL or LS is the next step!
Tim

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi, well done, that is how we started, just take it easy first and remember a caravan is for all year use. We tend to use CS / CL sites and also the C&CC Temporary Holiday Sites far cheaper and in some good locations so more outings with longer stays. The main thing, is to get out and enjoy.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
timhowarduk said:
I've previously been using tents, then a trailer tent, then a folding camper which I had to sell when we moved area for a new job as I had nowhere to put it.

Welcome to the forum.
We made the jump direct from a frame tent (carried in a trailer along with gas stove and bottles, toilet tent, chemical toilet, kitchen table, chairs, camp beds, etc, etc, etc) direct to a 2 berth van when the kids no longer camped with us. I told the OH it took too long setting everything up when everything could be inside with hot and cold running water, double glazing, heating, etc. The choice was a no-brainer. We started with a 1993 Lunar Clubman.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy your caravanning. We started with four of us in a 10ft Piper which was very basic. You do appear to be a practical person so you can manage most problems but if you need help there is plenty here.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi Tim, welcome. Your caravan is positively modern! I have a 1979 Royale which I've owned for almost twenty years, and tour Europe for two or three months every year.
Age is no barrier mate, as long as its looked after.
Enjoy!

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the happy band of caravaners Tim!
I'm sure you will have great times in your new van. They do become rather addictive so you will find yourself tinkering with it most of the time!
Have fun and any questions, you will always find an answer here!
Happy Caravanning!

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Welcome to the PC Forum, Tim. You'll never regret getting a caravan, which is a huge step up from a tent. If you have any questions, however small, just fire away. This is a family friendly forum with lots of knowledgeable folk who will help you out.
Many years of happy and safe caravanning to you. :)

Aug 6, 2017
Visit site
Many thanks all. It's now as ready as I can get. The only thing not working is now the awning/exterior light and the power feed is dead so there doesn't seem to be a quick solution. I've taken the plunge and booked a pitch for Sunday and Monday night! I'm trying to pack in a fairly minimalist way and putting most stuff in car and roofbox until I get a feel for towing it long distance. Quite exciting!

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I hope your first outing goes well and the weather is kind to you.
Don't make the packing of the van too minimalistic, you need to get the hitch weight reasonably close to the max or you will have a quite lively van on the back of the car which will spoil your experience.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts