finding a caravan chassis.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I'm currently looking for a caravan chassis to fit under a BT box van body. It need's to be at least 1300Kgs gross weight rated. I would prefer a single axle. But I don't want an aluminium one as I haven't got a TIG welder.

Can anyone help out here?

BTW i've posted on general as it is kind of a general caravan question.

Also the other reason I don't want aluminium is that my son has not been taught TIG welding, but I have taught him MIG and ARC.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
!CF!HLu!EGk~$(KGrHqQOKjwE0+sooBwMBNTu-sRkOw~~_12.JPG

A very des res
smiley-wink.gif

Apr 25, 2008
Visit site
I think you will find most caravan chassis are galvanized steel,I don't know of any that are aluminium,plus you don't have to weld why not use bolts and clamps?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I agree with Allen. The body should always be bolted to the chassis. Caravan chassis are designed to have the superstructure bolted. Welding puts stresses into the system which could cause material failure later.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the tip Parksy, I'll give them a try.
Swift made their early (1980's chassis from aluminium. There was a significant problem with cracking when the chassis were 5 years + old. This IMO was down to "age hardening" and stress from "cold forming" the bend to form the A frame. Aluminium requires very skilled TIG welding to do any permanent fixing. Hence why bolting together is the best alternative. I used to work for the chassis builder for lotus cars and had first hand experience of their "glued" chassis construction. Have a look at http://green.autoblog.com/2008/05/18/lotus-creates-lightweight-structures-division/ Lotus Lightweight Structures and you'll see some revolutionary chassis concepts. http://www.lotuscars.com/engineering/en/competency-lightweight-architectures

As a good weld is far better than bolts that can rattle free, I was thinking of welding (my son is doing the welding) cross members in steel to stiffen the chassis to then carry the van body. I'm also considering making it dismountable, both for convieniance of reusing the flat bed trailer (13ft x 6ft deck) and also as added security as the body will contain our furniature and household goods.

We are trying to save the £900 per annum self storage cost. Plus I can't scale 13ft up a ladder anymore to get at stuff and my lad hates heights. It took me 30 mins to talk him down the ladder one day. He can just manage a set of steps. Must be very hard on him to have a dad who used to walk industrial steel frames without a worry in the world.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Steve, try the Caravan Centre in Blaenavon, only an hour from you. Tell the boys you know me-if you speak to Shane, you'll get a seriously good deal! 01495 792700.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Will do Emmerson.

I've been there many times. What an alladins cave of caravan bits and bobs.

So far I can only find chassis for well over £100 and looking very shabby. One chap tried to sell a fire damaged one for £135.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
That's where I started Chris.
But they want an arm & a leg for some very tatty ones or to get a good one I have to drive from Leominster to Liverpool or beyond.
I don't mind £100 for a chassis with hitch,brakes and jockey wheel all working. But £130 for one off a fire damaged van is a right laugh.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts