Finding A-class with rear lounge

Feb 13, 2017
Visit site
Hi!

We are thinking of buying a 2007 "Arto 69 EGB" through a motorhome broker.

From what I can find - this was a special edition for the UK market (hence the GB!) featuring a rear lounge with the added benefit of 2 extra seatbelts at the back of the van! We love the layout and belts which is all going to work brilliantly for us and our three small kids. It is actually 4 berth but with 6 belts and being hardy campers we will make the bedding work!

I have two questions though...

1. We are newbies and have no idea what the van is worth. It is on at £37k but they are open to offers - which to my mind means that they know it is overpriced - but what would be a good price?
From what I can discover the new price for these in 2007 was somewhere around £53k varying slightly with spec.

2. My other question is just - if this van falls through - does anyone know of any other A-class motorhomes that feature a rear lounge, and at least 4 berths and 5 belts?

Thanks so much for any help you can give!

Andy Bramhall
Newcastle upon Tyne

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
It's difficult to put a value on motorhomes as there are no easily available guides. Do a quick search on the internet for Artos and get a feel for general prices. There is also the question of extras fitted but I'd discount those. £37k seems on the high side but Artos do retain their value and are rock solid as a norm [make sure you check it out, including for damp]. We loved ours. Also search against the motorhome broker you are dealing with and if things do go wrong, what is your recourse - probably the owner of the van not the broker.

There is very little protection in the back of a motorhome, whatever make, so make sure you are comfortable with the thought of what might happen to any passengers in the event of a rear shunt. Motorhomes do not have built in rear crash protection like cars. Fixing a child seat is not easy in a motorhome because the seats have to be sufficiently soft to act as beds; child seats can be bounced about. You won't find ISOfix in motorhomes. I don't know how small the kids are but they grow quickly so ensure the van will cope with them as they grow. We used a pup tent for our boys when the eldest became a teenager.

Not sure why you want an A-Class. I'm on my third in 16 years and am well aware they have pros and cons. Unless you have a specific reason or two, I'd look for ordinary coachbuilts. To be honest, I'd look for a caravan! It's just easier unless you want to tour the continent. Your children will be much safer in a car than a motorhome.

Hymer has made an occasional rear layout van. It is a rare layout in continental vans, with manufacturers believing it is a UK quirk.

TRENDING THREADS