Fines for road traffic offences abroad

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I have just learnt out of the news that there are plans for the traffic authorities to exchange information across borders in the EU so that one can no longer choose to ignore tickets issued abroad and which are then sent to your home address.

I'm just wondering how they are going to make that work, as there is no standard system to distinguish numberplates within Europe. For example, some countries allow more than the 7 digit maximum in the UK. What happens, for example, with a foreign registered car with 8 when UK data systems only provide for a maximum of 7? Also, spacing is also important in some countries. In Germany, A BC 123, AB C 123 and ABC 123 are all theoretically possible and would be specific for 3 different vehicles, not forgetting that some number plates also have letters with accents, like éB CD 123 (compared to AB CD 123).

G

This has been talked about for a long time Lutz. I recently saw an email of a UK speeding fine and supporting Photo that consisted of one long distance shot showing the car and numberplate and then a secod photo that was still at several hundred metres away. The High Definition digital photo not only showed the number plate and minor damage to the cars bonnet paintwork but a very clear view of the shocked drivers look as he saw the camera.

No doubt digital technology allows simple transfer of data and evidence between different systems.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
No doubt the technical means already exist to identify vehicles but while the supporting systems don't provide for correct processing of the data, we can continue to ignore speeding tickets, etc. issued abroad.

G

Friend was stopped on Autoroute a week or so back as he was a "little " over the limit in DB9 Aston. Gendarmes gave him a bit of a lecture and had a "good look over" the car they just "scoffed" as he offered his papers and licence to them.

So we guessed that there are still issues, on the other hand they may just have been car fans ;-)

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lutz,

Somewhere in the back of my mind is the thought that the Dutch police already do this with their German counterparts? Or as you say it may be a plan...

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Yes, there are a couple of bilateral agreements (I think one exists between Germany and Austria, for example), but on the whole one can safely ignore fines imposed by foreign authorities. Maybe there is an agreement between the Dutch and German police to exhange details of the holder of the vehicle, but that still does not mean that fines can actually be enforced across the respective border.

Mar 21, 2007
Visit site
Static speeding cameras are not really the problem in France as they are generally well signposted. When you see the sign warning of a camera it is usually situated about 400m after the sign.The cameras are not painted yellow so are less visible than in the UK though they usually have yellow and black stripes facing the driver. The French version of Auto Plus publishes a map of cameras every week. The biggest problem is the hand held speed gun. The gendarmerie have taken to hiding behind all manner of obstacles to disguise themselves. I have seen them behind bales of hay, behind piles of wooden palletts and hedges. They often position themselves on the approach to villages, or just past them. Roundabouts are also a favourite pull over point - they sometimes blitz areas so that every junction in a small town is manned. Fines are punitive - and they will even accompany you to a cash machine to draw out the cash. As a result the number of road deaths(at one time about twice that of the UK) has dropped dramatically. They also come down very heavily on drink driving - your car can be impounded. My advice is simply not to speed. A bit pious I know, but French speed limits are generally more generous than in the UK. 130 kph is not bad for a solo car, and you can legally drive faster(in France)towing a caravan if you dare!.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Static cameras aren't a problem anyway because there is no-one there to stop you immediately after you have committed the offence. As a result, they would have to send you the ticket by post to your home address. However, as things stand at the moment, you can safely ignore it and throw it in the rubbish bin because there is no procedure which can enforce a fine.

Mar 21, 2007
Visit site
Static cameras aren't a problem anyway because there is no-one there to stop you immediately after you have committed the offence. As a result, they would have to send you the ticket by post to your home address. However, as things stand at the moment, you can safely ignore it and throw it in the rubbish bin because there is no procedure which can enforce a fine.
Lutz,

I live in France and have a French registered car so understand exactly what you are saying. In theory, when I visit the UK, I am "immune" from prosecution if caught by a camera. Generally the traffic Police in the UK are more visible but on the Continent they don't play by the same rules. I think visitors to France and other EU countires need to be fully aware of the lengths that the Police are going to to crack down on speeding and other law breaking offences. Better safe than sorry especially as a heavy fine can spoil an otherwise wonderful holiday. For example a STOP sign in France means stop- definitely not "give way". The rules are strict - you must stop for a few seconds and, in theory, put your handbrake on. A friend tried to argue about how long he had been stationary and was suddenly face to face with an irate policemen brandishing a gun. These incidents are, however, few and far between and should not stop people taking advantage of driving on some of the best and least congested roads in Europe.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts