Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Despite not having much difficulty getting a TV signal very often, and having a hard disk full of stuff to fall back on. I have just purchased an Amazon Fire stick as it is on special offer until tomorrow I think

Hopefully with this, with a poor TV signal, I can tether it to either phone which are deliberately on different services and get access to lots of stuff.

John

May 24, 2014
Visit site
You dont need to tether. Just create a hotspot and connect via wifi, i am doing the very same as i type this. I have unlimited data and with 4g am getting around 40mbps. The site wifi is struggling to give 2mbps.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
You dont need to tether. Just create a hotspot and connect via wifi, i am doing the very same as i type this. I have unlimited data and with 4g am getting around 40mbps. The site wifi is struggling to give 2mbps.

I have done both tether and hotspot in the past, not sure which is best or what the difference is to be honest.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Both sites we used on our last break the wifi was one of the best i have ever come across could do downloads , pictures nearly everything we wanted very happy bunny :)

May 24, 2014
Visit site
If you tether, only the item you are tethered to gets the internet. Hotspot and every enabled device in the caravan gets it, and no wires.

For example, if you pay for CAMC wifi, only one device can be online at a time. With hotspot, both phones, laptop, firestick et al.

In my case i just use 4g and unlimited data which is way faster than the sites paltry offering.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If you have poor TV signal, more than likely phone signal is going to be poor or non existent. Both use digital and are "virtually" line of sight. We are on a site at the moment with poor mobile signal so it is hit and miss with getting Prime or Netflix. Not sure about TV with aerial as we have satellite dish. Campsite is in a bit of a dip.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Where we are TV signal is by bollard only, no chance with the Status. Mob phone getting two bars, but data on 4g about 35 -40 mbps.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
If you have poor TV signal, more than likely phone signal is going to be poor or non existent. Both use digital and are "virtually" line of sight. We are on a site at the moment with poor mobile signal so it is hit and miss with getting Prime or Netflix. Not sure about TV with aerial as we have satellite dish. Campsite is in a bit of a dip.

Often, but not necessarily.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Has anyone been on any site where they have a decent signal from the site's wifi and can stream a movie no issue?

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
Has anyone been on any site where they have a decent signal from the site's wifi and can stream a movie no issue?

Yes, Chew Valley south of Bristol. We didn't try films, but a few weeks ago I watched the formula one qualifying on Saturday, and the race on Sunday, via NowTV, while Mrs Gozza was doing work stuff via her laptop.

I can't remember how much the wifi access was but I do remember it was a lot less than I expected.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We went to Daisy Bank touring caravan park we got wifi free and there was a excellent signal did not stream a movie next time i will have a go :)

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Originally we had th4e 4k stick from home to use in caravan but standard one should be fine. We now use a SMART TV so no need for Firestick.

Do you use a smart tv in the Van? I am tempted to upgrade, the Avtex to quite a weight. Just that sometimes a true 12 volt might be good.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We still have our Avtex 12v but have only used th 12v once or twice. We now have a 28" LG 8TN525S Smart TV bought from Richer Sounds in Cheltenham as you get a 6 year warranty with it. Cost was about £189 but gone up a bit now. Excellent picture and good sound although we do have a Sony sound bar suing HDMI ARC as no headphone socket for Bose mini speaker, but you can connect via Bluetooth.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
A word of warning. The Avtex TVs are not fully smart and streaming services like Netflix and Amazon arent available aa Avtex arent licensed for them. We have just bought the 24 inch Avtex connected model and still need the firestick. Also the inbuilt speakers are awful and we have added a pair of creative pebble speakers. Avtex do a soundbar but its not very usable if the TV is freestanding, really needs to be arm mounted. Viewing angles are excellent though.

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
Originally we had th4e 4k stick from home to use in caravan but standard one should be fine. We now use a SMART TV so no need for Firestick.

We use an LG smart tv, link it to my phone and all sorted. Netflix, prime, etc etc.
Mainly for the dark winter nights really

Kev

Reactions: Buckman
Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
A word of warning. The Avtex TVs are not fully smart and streaming services like Netflix and Amazon arent available aa Avtex arent licensed for them. We have just bought the 24 inch Avtex connected model and still need the firestick. Also the inbuilt speakers are awful and we have added a pair of creative pebble speakers. Avtex do a soundbar but its not very usable if the TV is freestanding, really needs to be arm mounted. Viewing angles are excellent though.
We have the soundbar and with the TV not being that heavy, the whole lot connected by the supplied bracket stands on the soundbar happily

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts