First Caravan Just Purchased

Dec 3, 2023
Visit site
Hello each and all. My wife and I have purchased our first caravan, a 2001 Swift Corniche 17/3, an oldie but goodie. It has been in storage, unused, for the last five years so I am anticipating a fair bit of recommissioning work ahead. As a novice any advice will be gratefully received.

Dave & Jo

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the firum

After five years in storage it will need new tyres. Even if they appear to have good tread depth they will have deteriorated. 5-7 years is the recommended life span for caravan tyres when being used and looked after.

Reactions: DaveS44
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Dave Welcome to the forum congratulations on your first caravan it will needs a service to check everything is okay

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
Hi and welcome. I'm a newbie myself, only a few months and a couple of outings ahead of you. I'd recommend a full soak test on your driveway to make sure everything works and / or your first outing close to home (so you can pop back to pick up the things you forgot or didn't know you needed). Worth sterilising the water system as well, there will be a slug or two of water in there that's been stagnating for 5 years, there are plenty of videos on youtube showing how to do it.

Reactions: WayneS and DaveS44
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. There is some good advice above but first I would get a damp check if it has been kept outdoors, If you have a damp meter you need to check all the joints at the end panels, the roof and roof , sides and floor. as well as the windows and around inserts in the sides. A reading 0ver 15% needs watching and anything over 20% needs attention.
There is plenty of help on here if you need it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts