First Time Abroad

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi everybody,
Brand new subscriber here and straight onto the forums for advice.
Me and my family have been caravaners for 2 years now and we have a wonderful Abbey Adventurer.
I have two children aged 11 and 7.
and it is because of them that i am posting. They are asking me to take the caravan abroad this year for our summer holidays. Now this fills me with absolute dread. Not because of the caravn or the towing as that doesnt bother me at all. It is just the thought of taking the two boys to another country away from british comforts.
In the UK we feel at home visiting National Trust or English Heritage places or taking them swimming etc etc.
But the problem i have is that my 11 is Autistic (Aspergus Syndrome) and I was wondering if there are any other families with special needs children who have taken the plunge and taken their caravan abroad and can offer advice.
Because of my sons special needs we are restricted as to where we can go and I also wondered if anybody could recommend any sites.
The sites need to be fairly quiet (as he cant cope with noisy places). It would be great if it had a heated swimming pool. And there must be plenty to do around the area.
There is one other thing which always plays a part - Money. It cant be to expensive to camp there.
I hope that all makes sense, look forward to hearing from you.
Ralph

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Welcome captainralph!

I can't help with Aspergers, or particular quiet site recommendations, but can reassure you that France is a lovely place to caravan/camp with children. We took our eldest son when he was just six months old, and he still goes back as a thirty-three year old! I wouldn't worry about them - the French are much more tolerant of children, who are welcome everywhere. Towing is easy, with more caravan-friendly roads, there are loads of campsites which would fit your bill, and once you've done it I bet you'll be back every year! We camped or caravanned in France every year with our sons, until they were too old to come with us, and we now go back twice every year!

I'm sure someone will help with sites - if you don't get any suggestions then there is another forum where someone with a child with aspergers posts regularly, and I'll ask on there for some suggestions for you.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Cannot help with the Aspergus but sites in France seem to be full only in July or August. If you can go in June or Septemeber you will have lots of room with the site probably less than half full and if you explain what you want to the site staff I am sure most will find you a quiet pitch. Most sites will be very full in August and pitches can be very tight.
Some sites have two sizes of pitch and you might want to check that and book a larger one.
Almost all sites have pools.
If travelling can be a problem try St Malo, plenty to see and do and it is a good introduction to the country. We used Domaine de la Ville Huchet. It has indoor and outdoor pools, is close to the town and a hypermarket, Very friendly but grass cutting and tree pruning a bit less than it could be but we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and the Chateau in the middle of the site still being rebuilt from a very sorry start.
Le P'tit Bois very close and a bit more upmarket.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
You could go for the Portsmouth to Ouistreham ferry and land directly in Normandy.
Plenty of camp sites in the area to choose from dotted all along the coast and inland.
You have the World War Two historical sites and museums to visit...miles of sandy beaches...Bayeux and its tapestry.
History connected with William the Conqueror.....lovely countryside villages and towns.

Here is one site 15 minutes from the ferry at Ouistreham

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I can echo the others posters and say it is time of year that is important. For example in June this year, we stayed at De L'etang near Angers, ( http://www.campingetang.com/index.php/en ) there are about 120 touring pitches but most days only 10 or so were occupied so it was really quiet. But as someone else said, mowing and pruning is always an issue at that time, French sites are often only open May-Sept and they then have a mad May/June cleaning up session ready for the July/August rush.
There are indoor and outdoor pools, fishing, horseriding etc plus a small leisure park for children over the lane. The site employ a lot of local adults with learning disabilities for gardening etc. so are no strangers to special needs. If you use the ACSI card prices start from 16 euro pn.

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Thank you all for your thoughts so far and i will check out the sites mentioned so far. Unfortaunetly in Britain you have to have your holidays dring school holiday times which is July / August or you get into trouble.
It is not going to be easy for us where ever we go and we know that we will never find a site that ticks all our boxes, but if we can get some ticked then that would be great.
Anybody else with recommended sites or with special needs children?

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
What do your children enjoy doing, both on-site and off-site? Do you want near a beach, or would inland do? What about a riverside site? Walking distance to a town or village? If you make a list of what would be your ideal site, I'm sure between us all we can come up with some ideas.
I email occasionally to someone who has children with special needs - I'll see if she contributes to this forum and perhaps she can help out. They went right down to the Mediterranean last year, but it wasn't their first caravanning holiday in France.

My friend says she's happy if you want to contact her - ask the moderator to pass on my email address, and I'll give you hers. She's done a few trips to France and may have some suggestions.

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
My kids love many things. The main thing is swimming in a swimming pool (not the sea).
We want them to do more walks, so walking is good.
They love visiting historic places
They love doing most things. It is probably me that is more of the worrier. Taking the caravan accross the ocean just fills me with dread but i here such wonderful stories. It is just finding the right site.
I will contact the moderator about the exchange of email address.
But if there is anybody else that has any suggestions please please let me know, especially if you have special needs kids

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts