First Tow home

Sep 25, 2020
Visit site
Hi, thanks for all the replies on the newcomer section. I have bought Sterling Eccles Ruby 90th off my friend which is currently on a static site in Weston s Mare. He is moving down south west permanently to be near his daughter so no longer needs the van. It’s been in the site for 2 years. Once he has been down to empty it we are planning to go down and bring it back to the NW. After your excellent suggestions, we are going to go down , probably stay in the van for a night so I can organise changing the tyres. What I was thinking was to take my trolley Jack and stands, remove the wheels and take them for some pre ordered new tyres. Whilst the wheels are off check the brakes aren’t stuck on and lubricate everything I can see. Fit the rear number plate, check all the lights and check the nose weight on the back of the car. As the van will be “empty” I could possible use my toolbox, Jack etc to balance the van, fit the towing mirrors and then hopefully tow it home. I have towed in the past towing large trailers with cars on in my vehicle technician days. Would you knowledgeable people have any other suggestions for the first journey to get the van home where I can go over it properly at leisure? Taking my time on the road will be a given!

May 2, 2020
Visit site
Congratulations on getting your first caravan, as you are probably aware the brake drums are held by a one shot nut at a torque of 290Nm but if brakes are stuck should release with a couple of good hammer taps to release. On the way home check the torque of the wheel studs after about 30 miles, I personally check mine after another 30 miles just to be sure, when wheels have been off and finally. ENJOY (y)

Last edited:
Reactions: Keith B
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I would strongly recommend telling the fitter to balance the wheels. Also for the safety of your family probably a good idea to get an AWS technicain to service the caravan if it has not been done in the past 12 - 18 months. Perhasp you can get this done before you collect the caravan?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I would strongly recommend telling the fitter to balance the wheels. Also for the safety of your family probably a good idea to get an AWS technician to service the caravan if it has not been done in the past 12 - 18 months. Perhaps you can get this done before you collect the caravan?

Over-rule any tyre fitter who suggests that caravans don't need the tyres balancing - they do to avoid vibrating the flimsy structure fittings.

Sep 25, 2020
Visit site
I would strongly recommend telling the fitter to balance the wheels. Also for the safety of your family probably a good idea to get an AWS technicain to service the caravan if it has not been done in the past 12 - 18 months. Perhasp you can get this done before you collect the caravan?
Thanks, As we won’t be able to keep the van on the site for that long following the sale,plus the site request a % apparent for any onsite 3rd party sales I’d much prefer to have it done locally. Will definitely insist on balancing

TRENDING THREADS