Fitting A Domestic Aircon - 2012 Swift Chall 570

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Fitting a Domestic/House type Aircon into a 2012 Swift Challenger 570 ?

Well i know they can be fitted but i guess my question is where do you fit the external compressor and where do you locate the internal unit.

Regarding the external unit there is not enough room on the A Frame and if you somehow have it fitted to the rear it could make it rear end heavy.

Regarding the Internal unit i cannot see even 1" of available space.

Have any members fitted one of these units into a similar van and can give me any tips/photos of completed job.

They have them fitted here in Australia in Aussie vans and they work far superior and quieter than the rooftop rattlers but the Aussie vans have more space on the A Frames to accept the external unit.

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

Tony.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have a2015 Dometic Freshjet 220o fitted on our caravan and it is whisper quiet. Would never dream of fitting a Domestic type due to weight issues plus where it is fitted will need some serious reinforcing. It took two people to remove our air con from the office and that was a small domestic unit as it was not a big office.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Haha, Yes you are correct Gafferbill i could not park next to Grey13 as there is approx 11,000 miles between us.

Grey13 just curios as to why you would state Dont Park By Me because if it refers to noise the majority of quality domestic aircons such as Fujitsu are reasonably quiet.

It is obviously different here in Australia as a lot of Australians with Aussie built vans are having the likes of Fujitsu domestic units fitted into there vans as they are far more efficient and quiter than the rooftop equivelents.

They are fitted very easily to Aussie vans however i understand the problems of fitting to a UK van as there is not enough A Frame space or internal overhead space.

I remember someone here in Australia stating that there is no way that a domestic unit would cope with the rigours of movement and Australian corrugated roads then a guy replied advising that he owned a fleet of ocean tugs and had domestic units fitted, he said nothing vibrates worse than a tug but these units are still doing the job after many years without any issues whatsoever.

There are some UK vans over here that have had special carriers fitted to the rear chassis and have the external unit mounted on it.

Its not something i would do as making back end heavy and possibly creating a snake.

I am now considering fitting the Truma Saphire underbed aircon with the ducted aircon outlets in cupboards/bedbase etc.

These are excellent as the weight is down low and not on the roof.

Tony.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts