Fitting a radio

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
I want to fit a car radio/cd player in my caravan.I want to use the status omni-directional aerial that i have fitted on the caravan.The tv reception i get from this aerial is not very good,so i am wondering if the radio reception will be rubbish as well.Has anyone else used their status aerial for a radio,and is the signal better than with the tv.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Think very carefully before fitting a car stereo in a caravan.

When fitted in a car amplifier noise - especially hiss - is not a problem, neither is mechanical noise from the CD mechanism or amplifier distortion. Put thses in the relatively wuiet environment of a caravan and they can rapidly become very annoying.

As for the Status, check it out very carefully, specifically the assembly of all screw-on (as distinct from moulded on) Belling-Lee (i.e. TV plug) connectors. My Status was useless until I checked all plus and found two of them had whisker short circuits between the centre core and outer (braid) screen. The Status now works quite well - most of the time.

However it will probably not work very effectively with your car radio as there will be a substantial mis-match between the aerial as a source and the radio as a load. The TV is designed to work off 75 ohms: car radios are usually around 240 ohm. The cable construction is very different. You can get small telescopic aerials (also amplified) made just for this purpose and - from what I have seen - work very well.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
It depends on what status aerial you have fitted,the early models do not pick up AM.Easiest way is too fit one of the aerials that fit to the side of the van with the extending aerial

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
I had fitted a car stereo in my last caravan,but all i had to do was replace an existing stereo.There was also an aerial fitted to the side of the van.The sound was very good without any hiss.I don't want to go drilling holes in the side of my caravan either to fit an aerial.I'd rather just take a stereo with me.

Feb 14, 2007
Visit site
The older Status omni directional antenna is very poor for TV in regard to anything other that very strong signal areas. It is also almost useless for radio reception.

The newer Status directional antenna is reasonable for most TV reception in UK, and does work ok for strong FM (88 - 108 MHz)radio areas. It does not work for MW or LW radio reception.

As suggested on previous post, your best bet by far, for all round good radio reception, is to fit a vehicle type extending aerial.

Dave

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I agree totally with going to a proper side aerial and the noise issues with some car radios in caravans.

There is another important issue to bear in mind. Many car radios are big users of battery power, not an issue with the cars alternator running or in a van on EHU but a real problem if reliant on battery only. Also you need the equivalent of an ignition switch to avoid power drain when it is "off", some units [Pioneer for example]take nearly the same power when off as on if this switch is not used.

Sep 17, 2009
Visit site
I have had several vans with radios as standard and much to my surprise the best reception is from my latest which has an aerial in side a cupboard behind a panel. It is the type that is extendable and is usually fitted by manufacturers on the outside. There is only room for it to be partly extended but it works a treat and would be easy for you to fit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts