Fitting a satellite dome on a caravan roof?

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
After being soaked for the umpteenth time the other day we are seriously thinking of having one of these domes fitted. As we are hoping to start travelling onto the continent in the future, mainly western France and we would need a sat dome that can pick up Sky channels down in the Vendee region etc. Although we would like to go to Spain this may not happen for awhile. however ti woudl eb nice if the dome worked down as far as valencia but I guess that is pushing it.
We have looked at the Maxview MXL011 which weighs about kg and it can fit on the caravan roof between the rear skylight and the air con unit so it will be over the axle. However the one that we prefer is the Satfi RV dome however due to the size of its footprint, it can only be fitted on the rear offside corner. The weight is 12.3kg. The only way it can fit in the middle is to remove the status aerial and blank it off. The you have the Campingman 32T which may also fit between the air con and skylight.
At the moment we struggle to get our noseweight below 100kg and have to move stuff over and to the rear of the axle. Our concern is whether there could be a case of the tail wagging the dog syndrome having the 12.3kg on the rear offside corner even if the noseweight is still at 100kg?
It would be nice to have some input especially from those that already have a dome fitted. Thanks.

BTW in case any one asks, due to juggling around we are within the MTPLM of 1800kg plus of course the current freestanding 54cm dish & tripod weighing about 5kg will be put in the garage.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Just to clarify the main concern is about the dome being located on the rear offside and whether there will be any effect on the stability of the caravan while towing.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Surfer,

The simple answer is yes, :( Not only will the weight affect the handling, but so will the shape and position of the dome. Its not a question of will it affect but how much will it affect the handling B) . Unfortunately we don't have all the cellular air flow dynamics and weight distribution data or the super computers necessary to calculate the effects. :dry: It would be cheaper to buy a second caravan and fit it up exactly like yours and try it. :huh:

If you are that much concerned about about, then there is another option, and that is to forget the TV altogether. :unsure:

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
A helpful answer would have been appreciated instead of waffling on about nothing! Luckily there was another helpful forum so we can go ahead and make our purchase!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Surfer
I'm sorry if my attempt at humour didn't go down well. but the reality is that no one can predict how much your proposals will affect your outfit. Its one of those situations where the only practical way to find out is to actually try it. Unfortunately because it involves installation of new equipment it may damage your caravan and make the removal of the items difficult without leaving marks or holes.

It's entirely up to you, but do bear in mind that no one can tell you if its going to be alright - it might be though.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Surfer.
I suspect a foldaway or enclosed dome will cause no more air drag than the standard aerial. I see no valid reason not to fit it at the rear as long as you check / adjust your nose weight after fitting.
Sir Sproket has a roof mounted dish. My aunts motor home has the auto sat finder fitted. Expensive but sheer luxury.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
One of the reasons i fitted the dish rather than the dome was the additional height, the dish when lowered is 17cms or just over 6" high ..... the domes can be upto 40cms high or around 18" high ..... that's some extra height difference to remember when travelling .....oh and double the price. ....

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
The problem with any dish on the roof is that the dish is where the caravan is. This may not be the position to receive a sat. signal especially on the continent where pitches can be enclosed/marked by a hedging and there are trees providing shade for the pitch. This means that it can be very difficult to position the van for a signal . With a freestanding dish you have the freedom to position the dish for a good sky view. Even in this country I was able to get a signal in some woods with a portable dish whilst my neighbour was left fumimg with his expensive dish on van and no signal.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
That is exactly what I have found airsiggy ......although I clamp my dish to my caravan if I can get a signal that way ......I can also clamp it to a tripod.
I also have 25 metre coax cable which I have needed on a few occasions :eek:hmy:

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I use an avtex snipe setup.
It is the equivalent of a 60cm dish and can be mounted or not which gives you the best of both worlds.
It comes in a sturdy carry case.
Just another option to consider.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts