Fitting Rear View/Reversing Camera to New Coachman

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
We are picking up our brand-new Coachman Caravan early August and I was keen to have a rear view or reversing camera fitted. Coachman have told the Dealer that they don't want anyone messing with the van, presumably as it might invalidate the water ingress warranty.

Has anyone had a similar response from a Manufacturer whilst the Caravan was still in the Water Ingress Warranty period?

I was thinking of getting one expertly fitted low down under the Van and routing the cable underneath the van and maybe having the camera bonded to the lower bodywork so there won't be any need to "invade" the van.

Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for that. I have used the search facility but I'm specifically looking for experiences when a Manufacturer has "forbidden" one being fitted.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you decide to go ahead and have one fitted, or fit it yourself, then any problems arising later which are attributed to the fitment will not be covered by the warranty.

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for that. I guess that's why my current plan is to steer clear of screwing anything into the body of the van.

It's ironic that I'm trying to do everything I can to protect the condition of the van, but that is frowned upon. I get a sense that Water Ingress is one of the major issues facing the caravan community so it is understandable.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I used mastic to fit an "L" shaped aluminium bracket in the recess for the number plate mounting. When the number plate is fitted it hides the bracket as well as giving additional support to the bracket. I bolted a white camera to the protruding ledge of the bracket and ran the white camera cable down and underneath the van right up to the A frame where it connects to the car with a mini plug and socket supplied when I purchased the kit. I've since transferred it to my latest van and can testify to the adhesive qualities of the mastic! :)

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
My rear view camera hangs over the bottom edge of the washroom (rear facing, obviously ! ) window on a custom made bracket. The rubber seal has enough give in it to hold the bracket and allow the wire from the camera to pass into the washroom. The wire then simply lies on the floor, going through a ventilation hole in a front locker and onwards to the Aframe for connections through to the car.
Full details of my system were published in the summer 2013 edition of Caravan magazine. (I did offer the article to PC first!)

Mike

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your responses so far. I've forwarded some ideas to the Technician I am planning to use and I'm sure we will work out a solution that protects both my sanity and the warranty!

As a first time "Caravaner" and new member to the Forum it is so reassuring to know the strength of the community out there in both cyberspace and on-site. We visited a few sites over the last couple of weeks and everyone has been so friendly and helpful. It kind of restores your faith in humanity!

Thanks all.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm with Mike S, except I think it may be possible to trap the bracket in the upper corner of the rear window rather than the bottom to give a better field of view and to lift the camera further from meddling hands.

Seems to me that it would be difficult for a maker to void a warranty just because you had made a screw hole in the shell near the rear window if you subsequently had a damp problem at the front of the van. But I'm sure they would try !

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " Seems to me that it would be difficult for a maker to void a warranty just because you had made a screw hole in the shell near the rear window if you subsequently had a damp problem at the front of the van. But I'm sure they would try ! "

No one is saying that.
What I said was if a problem arose which was attributable to any work carried out by the owner or his non approved agent it would not be covered.

Making ANY holes in the bodywork is not advisable or sensible in any case.

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm certainly going to avoid making a hole anywhere in the van at all costs. Better safe than sorry.

It's a shame they don't create a location for this sort of thing with wiring already in place but I guess that would add build cost and not everyone would use the capability.

Thanks again all for your responses.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
Martbo said:
I'm certainly going to avoid making a hole anywhere in the van at all costs. Better safe than sorry.

It's a shame they don't create a location for this sort of thing with wiring already in place but I guess that would add build cost and not everyone would use the capability.

Thanks again all for your responses.
I do the same as Mike S home made bracket fits on rear window btm held in place by the window rubber wire along the floor but mine goes out through front window to the car, no holes needed, no mastic, no screws, cameras lens to floor height 4ft for a perfect view.
manufactures will not fit as standard as they are a bit of a grey area some believe they are illegal as a rear view and should only be used for reversing.

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Ray.

I think the starting solution is to run through the inside of the Van when on the move. If that does the trick, no need to try to bond/mastic anything to the bodywork. With a rear washroom window I will also get a better view I think.

I appreciate the grey area around legality but to me it makes sense to replace a non-functional rear-view mirror in the car with a sensible alternative. I know the towing mirrors give a wide field of view but I'd just rather see as much as possible.

As Bob Hoskins used to say "It's good to talk" and I've found the Forum invaluable so far.

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
I fitted mine onto an offcut of plastic fascia board on top of the van and ran the cable in the o/s awning channel.The board is stuck on with the sealing tape used for the rooflights and its very secure .The view I get is just for reversing but there are dual lens cameras for a rear view as well as reversing.Its out of the way from any tampering and doesnt get any roadspray dirtying it

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Dave,

I was looking at the dual lens camera so perhaps higher up the better for that type of arrangement.

I don't think I sold your idea in well to the OH! I lost her at "I'll tape a bit of plastic to the top of the van"! I'll win her around I'm sure but I must work on my presentation skills!

Regards,

Martin

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Martin,
You could use a piece of perspex to mount the bracket on and then bond the perspex to the van like this ??

Leeds-20130716-00457_zps9dcbe119.jpg

You have to do a bit of faffing to find the right place or you wont be able to see down the back of the van more so if you intend to use it for reversing..
Leeds-20130716-00460_zps7387330f.jpg

This was taken with the bracket just duck taped to the back of the van before deciding on the optimum place to fit it.
Leeds-20130707-00359_zps7b31fac0.jpg

Leeds-20130707-00361_zpsd455012d.jpg

My wiring goes through the roof, but as DeliDave said his cable runs in the opposite awning rail so that could be one of your options ?

This camera has a 70deg and 120deg viewing angles.

Leeds-20130719-00482_zpseab3b10c.jpg

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Have you thought of a wireless camera. You just need to access the power (reversing Light) and the video is sent to a receiver in the car. You can get a camera that is a number plate light as well.Search Ebay. :) :)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Reversing only cameras are fine and doubtless a great help, but full rear vision when towing is much better, particularly in Europe.

Wireless is easier in some respects and avoids a vulnerable cable and connector between car and caravan. For caravans with a rear facing wardroom window making a bracket which clamps into between window and frame is easy and requires no holes in the caravan. the wireless transmitter can then be fitted in the washroom. Runnig a 12v supply to it from the caravan leisure battery can be done fairly easily if you are moderately good at DIY, but if not you can power it from a separate small 12v rechargeable battery put into the washroom and sucured suitably. Such are easily obtained from Toolstation or Screwfix etc. and then recharge between trips with a separate charger.

For vans without a rear washroom window it's a little more difficult. You could mount the camera on one of the rear grab handles, although higher would be better, or it would not be difficult to make a mount which slid up into the awning rail. Admittedly this would give a somewart off centre view but would be good for European use if mounted in the (UK) nearside rail. Any such mounts etc. need to be quick fit and removed if there is reisk of pilfering etc. A bit of trouble but worth it.

Another possible soultion is to use the sort of big suction cups used to hold wifi boosters to the outside of a caraan or motor home. The cameras are no heavier than some of the wifi boosters. I would prefer not to do this, buit it may be worthwhile, particularly if you can arrange a safety strap to some fixture such as a grab handle.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts