Floor sandwich

Oct 22, 2018
Visit site
I am shortly going to replace my gas locker floor as it is starting to crumble because its wet. Question is where do I get the foam/plywood sandwich stuff to do it with. If its not easy to get then I may just do it with with 18mm ply.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The floor sandwich is unique to each manufacturer, so you would almost certainly need to go to a dealer or repairer who might have some.

As the locker is external to the living space, then using a treated plywood would probably be satisfactory.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I am shortly going to replace my gas locker floor as it is starting to crumble because its wet. Question is where do I get the foam/plywood sandwich stuff to do it with. If its not easy to get then I may just do it with with 18mm ply.

As said, they are specific to model. I think they tend to be formed plastic. They don’t need to be water or air tight. In fact they need to drain and ventilate. 18 mm ply will be far too heavy in my opinion.

John

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
OP doesn't say what make and model the caravan is. Some caravans have locker floors which would be difficult to replace. I would use aluminium sheet with the side formed at 90deg to give rigidity, leaving the 4 corners unfolded so that water will run off. Fairly simple to make in any sheet metal work shop with perhaps a longitudinal rib or two to make a great job of it.

Reactions: Hutch
Oct 22, 2018
Visit site
Floor removed its plywood/foam sandwich not formed plastic. I have enough 12mm ply in garage to replace it once I cut it out and weather proof it.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Floor removed its plywood/foam sandwich not formed plastic. I have enough 12mm ply in garage to replace it once I cut it out and weather proof it.
On that basis I would use the ply I have. Sadolin is a water based black paint ideal for wood products which are going to get regularly wet (roof fascias etc). It allows wood to dry out quickly which is much more effective than trying to seal it, as the sealants are never 100% (but once the wood is wet it cannot dry because the sealant will prevent it) Before you fit the 12mm ply, weigh it and the original and check the weight difference. I would like to know. By the way, what caravan is it?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We don’t know the caravan age or make. But in modern vans the sandwiched main floor construction does not extend into the gas box area. I don’t know if that might have been the case with older vans.

When you removed the old floor, was it separate from the main floor, or did it need cutting? I wonder if the manufacture may have simply used odd bits of the standard flooring in the gas box.

I would still favour Ern’s earlier suggestion of aluminium sheet. Not only lighter, but it would give a greater usable height.

John

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Go to a DIY shop,then treat it yourself if necessary

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts