Football Wins OK!

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Of course like most people I'm interested in the Euro Championship although, I have to admit, not fanatical.

Just turned the radio on to find myself listening to the Daily Mail of the BBC, Jeremy Vine. He was playing a recording from an EasyJet flight bringing Scottish supporters to London.

It sounded as though the whole plane was in full song, chanting football chants.

Being a cynic and hearing the volume I wondered firstly if the supporters were wearing facemasks and secondly, even if they were, would a facemask render covid concerns invalid.

My wife sings in a choir and she, with the rest of the choir follow Government rules. Six people inside singing and 30 outside.

It seems that many people fear the lockdown for the Delta (Indian) variant came a long time too late. By the time it was in effect the damage was already done is my personal opinion.

Whist, like many others on this forum and, of course, elsewhere, I dream of a holiday in Europe later this year I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that it will not happen.

Do others share my views I wonder.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Of course like most people I'm interested in the Euro Championship although, I have to admit, not fanatical.

Just turned the radio on to find myself listening to the Daily Mail of the BBC, Jeremy Vine. He was playing a recording from an EasyJet flight bringing Scottish supporters to London.

It sounded as though the whole plane was in full song, chanting football chants.

Being a cynic and hearing the volume I wondered firstly if the supporters were wearing facemasks and secondly, even if they were, would a facemask render covid concerns invalid.

My wife sings in a choir and she, with the rest of the choir follow Government rules. Six people inside singing and 30 outside.

It seems that many people fear the lockdown for the Delta (Indian) variant came a long time too late. By the time it was in effect the damage was already done is my personal opinion.

Whist, like many others on this forum and, of course, elsewhere, I dream of a holiday in Europe later this year I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that it will not happen.

Do others share my views I wonder.
The lockdown preceded the Delta (Indian) variant. The recent deferment of further easing is due to the India variant. I find it interesting that U.K. gives notice of up to 10 days when tightening border controls yet this week the Irish government approved tight restrictions on travellers from GB and implemented them the next day. How they plan to enforce sea land travel from GB via NI and on to Ireland isn’t clear. Recently people had been refused boarding to Dublin from GB airports if the did not have a negative PCR result within 72 hours and quick as a flash they rebooked flights to Belfast with onward travel by road or rail.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Dead right Otherclive. Apologies for using the term "lock down" loosely.
I was, of course, referring to the "lock down" on people travelling from India to the UK - the "red list"

So far as I'm aware 42,406 people travelled to and from the UK and India during April (CAA figures).

Of course the UK gave a 3 day warning period before red listing India. During that time thousands of travelers arrived from India amid a surge of demands for flights. Maybe the Irish Government have taken note of that.

And yes, of course an immediate ban would seen difficult to manage but what price to you put on lives!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
“price on lives?” Being done frequently during safety case assessments on rail, flight, nuclear, transport projects, NICE etc When I was involved in studies you had to establish the costs to reduce the effect of certain hazards to As Low As Reasonably Practicable. IE you don’t spend ever increasing amounts of money to achieve ever decreasing benefits.

How much is a year of life worth? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-28983924

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...health-the-monetary-value-of-a-life-year-voly

https://www.hse.gov.uk/economics/eauappraisal.htm

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
“price on lives?” Being done frequently during safety case assessments on rail, flight, nuclear, transport projects, NICE etc When I was involved in studies you had to establish the costs to reduce the effect of certain hazards to As Low As Reasonably Practicable. IE you don’t spend ever increasing amounts of money to achieve ever decreasing benefits.

How much is a year of life worth? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-28983924

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...health-the-monetary-value-of-a-life-year-voly

https://www.hse.gov.uk/economics/eauappraisal.htm

Yes. I'm well aware of the economics behind risk assessment and governance.

"What price lives" is a question that might be asked of so many bereaved families in this country and elsewhere. I'm sure most people would find it difficult to weigh their loss against dispassionate economics don't you?
Clearly offering references, as you have lately done, is of academic interest to some but in the real world of human loss rather irrelevant.

The title of the thread is football related and a comment about a recording of Scottish fans chanting on a plane:

"It sounded as though the whole plane was in full song, chanting football chants.

Being a cynic and hearing the volume I wondered firstly if the supporters were wearing facemasks and secondly, even if they were, would a facemask render covid concerns invalid".

As so many others on this forum have commented with regard to the spread of Covid 19 and behavior, we all have a duty to one another to minimise the risks.

Placing India on the red list perhaps 2 full weeks before that was done would, in my personal opinion (and one shared by many others), significantly reduced the impact of the Delta variant and, so would banning flights of chanting football fans.

I can't make it clearer than that!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes. I'm well aware of the economics behind risk assessment and governance.

"What price lives" is a question that might be asked of so many bereaved families in this country and elsewhere. I'm sure most people would find it difficult to weigh their loss against dispassionate economics don't you?
Clearly offering references, as you have lately done, is of academic interest to some but in the real world of human loss rather irrelevant.

The title of the thread is football related and a comment about a recording of Scottish fans chanting on a plane:

"It sounded as though the whole plane was in full song, chanting football chants.

Being a cynic and hearing the volume I wondered firstly if the supporters were wearing facemasks and secondly, even if they were, would a facemask render covid concerns invalid".

As so many others on this forum have commented with regard to the spread of Covid 19 and behavior, we all have a duty to one another to minimise the risks.

Placing India on the red list perhaps 2 full weeks before that was done would, in my personal opinion (and one shared by many others), significantly reduced the impact of the Delta variant and, so would banning flights of chanting football fans.

I can't make it clearer than that!

In my post 2 above I quite clearly mentioned that the delay to implementing border controls used in this country hasn't been good. In another thread I also criticised HMG for the delay in restricting travel from India when 2 weeks earlier travel from Pakistan and Bangladesh had been Red Listed even though those countries had lower rates of infection than India. We know why the delay happened.

Having suffered two close family losses since July 2019, and one good friend lost to Covid on 25 December last year, I am aware of the impact such things bring; it is certainly not academic.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
In my post 2 above I quite clearly mentioned that the delay to implementing border controls used in this country hasn't been good. In another thread I also criticised HMG for the delay in restricting travel from India when 2 weeks earlier travel from Pakistan and Bangladesh had been Red Listed even though those countries had lower rates of infection than India. We know why the delay happened.

Having suffered two close family losses since July 2019, and one good friend lost to Covid on 25 December last year, I am aware of the impact such things bring; it is certainly not academic.

Well said Otherclive!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts