Ford C Max 2.0L Auto

May 15, 2006
Visit site
We are thinking of changing our 55 Reg 2.0L TDCi C Max for a new 2.0L Petrol Auto, has anyone out there towed with the 2.0L petrol model? Our current car is superb,powerfull & a very stable towcar but i would like an auto ( living in Essex I'm always in a traffic jam & fed up with the left leg aching! ), unfortunatly for some reason Ford do not do an autobox in the 2.0L TDCi in the C Max but do in the Mondeo & S Max. We tow a 2004 Bailey Pageant Moselle which has a MTPLM of 1287kg & the car i'm looking at has a max towable trailer weight of 1300kg giving me a match fiqure of 98%, although the cars kerbweight is 1455kg, I am experienced, towing a van for 18 Years and also drive HGV's at work ( many heavy trucks are now auto as well so i'm spoilt,saves having to work through 16 gears!). We do not tow the van that often but my main worry is will the petrol auto model pull the van ok?

Any feedback greatfully recieved !!!

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
My reading of the Ford C-Max technical specifications is:

The DuraTorq TDCi version of the C-Max has a maximum braked trailer load of 1500 kg. And you have been happy with this as a tow car.

The DuraTec petrol engine has a downgraded limit of 1400 kg in manual, further downgraded to 1300 kg as an automatic - and this is roughly 100% compared to your caravan MTPLM.

I think Ford are trying to tell you something, the basic body has the properties to tow 1500 kg, but is severely restricted when the petrol engine and automatic gearbox is fitted. Is it just a power issue? or a limit to what the gearbox will handle? or a cooling issue? or all of the above?

You may want to continue looking at other models in the Ford camp, because I just get the feeling you'd be disappointed.

Robert

Mar 29, 2007
Visit site
Hi Michael,

We have a 2007 c-max 2.0 zetec auto and tow an ABI brooklyn 490/5,mtplm 1300 kgs. This is my first auto and I absolutely love it. It tows my van with no problem even on steep hills. It is a bit sorer on petrol than my last c-max, a 1.8 manual,but to me it is a small price to pay for the comfort and ease of driving driving that this vehicle posseses. Ihope this info is beneficial to you. You should read the article about Avondale & c-max in PC and WC.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts