Forum Bedding Down

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dear Lizzie,

The forum has bedded in a bit more so its time to look at some of the problems or niggles its now presents from a users perspective.

Overall it is far better that what went before, so it has been a move in the right direction. But there are still some issues which I find very unsatisfactory.

I have already mentioned about the colour of the text:- grey rather than black. This occurs in the composition box and in the final posting window. The small difference in contrast makes a significant difference to its readability. In these days of disabled access legislation, such issues should be considered.

Also in the composition boxes, the font size is smaller (and grey as noted above)than the final posting window, why not make it the same size and have the same formatting style as the final post, so if we are trying to create a list we can see the columns will align and the overall look of the deposition as we create it, rather than having to jump to a preview page.?

My next moan is about the adverts that pop up. Now I know the site uses advertising revenue to help pay for it, so their presence is to be expected, but what is exceptionally annoying (and it has got worse as the site has matured) is the way you can open a page, see the top few threads, go to click on one of them only to find the page has resized to accommodate a banner advert which means you miss your intended target. You then have to backspace and go through the process again. On my connection, the page can take up to 10 seconds before it settles down and can resize two or three times as new adverts are added.

I was speaking to my Son about this who designs web pages professionally and he said its poor programme design or implementation, and can easily be avoided by designing the web page with fixed size spaces and positions for the adverts. This means the forum text would come up stable and fixed, but the the page may not be accessible until the adverts have loaded, so it would still take time, but at least you not faced with a page jumping about.

After responding to a thread, or marking a thread "already read", we get a system pop up which grabs the focus of the whole screen and tells us the request has been completed. As it offers no means of reversing or editing the process, is such a note necessary especially as it requires user action to clear it. Can it either be eliminated as it serves no useful purpose, or amend it so it
simply becomes a flag against the topic, or automatically self clears after a couple of seconds.

Sticky Posts. When you open several of the category pages the top few pigeon holes are filled with stick threads. Depending on the screen resolution you are using, this relegates the latest threads to the bottom or even below the first page break . Surely if these sticky threads are so important there should be space made for them at the side of the page so they remain visible, but not using up thread space. Also some of the sticky notes are quite old now, do we still need them all?

Prof John

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Dear Lizzie,
Sticky Posts. When you open several of the category pages the top few pigeon holes are filled with stick threads. Depending on the screen resolution you are using, this relegates the latest threads to the bottom or even below the first page break . Surely if these sticky threads are so important there should be space made for them at the side of the page so they remain visible, but not using up thread space. Also some of the sticky notes are quite old now, do we still need them all?
Prof John
I'm glad that you mentioned the sticky posts John, we can remove old ones that are no longer relevant and we try to confine the more important ones to this 'Our Website' message board or the New Members for their enlightenment.
I've 'unstuck' the 2014 rally topic which was an out of date sticky but the remainder contain instructions for forum use, and are at the top so that, in theory at least, forum users will see them first.
Unfortunately sticky posts are rarely looked at, but at least they are easy to find so that links can be posted which navigate straight to them.

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi and thanks for the post. It is good to hear that on the whole you're happy with the forum. I will definitely pass your thoughts onto our web development team. However, I'd also like to hear from people on here regarding the colour of text in posts. I quite like the softer, just-off-black shade of grey that the forum defaults to. It is smart, legible and fits with the style of the main Practical Caravan website. If, however, a large number of forum users find that they are having trouble reading it, we will consider making a change.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Some forum users may not be aware that if they have trouble reading the forum text it can easily be enlarged by holding down the Ctrl button and pressing + until the text size is easier to see.
I often do it if I've mislaid my reading glasses. To make the text smaller again hold Ctrl and press -

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
LizziePope said:
........ I quite like the softer, just-off-black shade of grey that the forum defaults to. It is smart, legible .........

Sorry Lizzie
I have to disagree, Its not as legible, Perhaps it depends on the screen you are viewing it on. but I think if you were to seek advice from professionals in the vision industry they will point to plenty of good research about the legibility typefaces and colour schemes.

Now try black on yellow That really stands out!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
One more small issue,

The forum indicates new items by posting a message such as (3 NEW) Now the meaning of this changes depending on which page is open, and as such it is mildly confusing.

For example when looking at the categories page (3 NEW) this actualy means there are three new topics opened up in the category.

If you open the category to display the topics you will find three new topics opened up, but each of those may also have a similar (2 NEW) which means there are two new posts in the topic.

I'm not certain we actually need these reminders, but if they remain It would be clearer if the wording on the categories page were (3 NEW TOPICS 7 NEW POSTS) and on the topics page (2 NEW POSTS)

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Prof

I always browse from the 'Recent Topics' tab rather than 'Index' and the recent posts are always at the top (with the NEW idents). Doesn't then have the confusion you are saying about.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
One more small issue,

The forum indicates new items by posting a message such as (3 NEW) Now the meaning of this changes depending on which page is open, and as such it is mildly confusing.

For example when looking at the categories page (3 NEW) this actualy means there are three new topics opened up in the category.

If you open the category to display the topics you will find three new topics opened up, but each of those may also have a similar (2 NEW) which means there are two new posts in the topic.

I'm not certain we actually need these reminders, but if they remain It would be clearer if the wording on the categories page were (3 NEW TOPICS 7 NEW POSTS) and on the topics page (2 NEW POSTS)

You're having a laugh, right? :S

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
There's this pop up. Feedback. On the right hand side. It makes reading difficult and I can't get rid of it.
Help Lizzie

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
While I agree the new Forum is a vast improvement on the old (not too difficult) I find the order of the categories somewhat illogical. Why not show them in order of number of topics, such that the most popular categories are all together at the top ?

The exceptions would be New Members - which should remain at the top, and Our Website which shold logically come last such that you can comment after looking at the entire site.

This idea would facilitate browsing, while still catering for the minority such as Baking, although I am very supportive that such topics still have a place.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am very pleased to see two of the negative points I raised have been dealt with. We no longer have the forum page jumping around as the advert load and re-size, and the confirmation pop up of a post having been accepted has stopped appearing. All Good Stuff.

Now the campaign to get BLACK ON WHITE text is next !!!

As it is likely that caravanners will tend to be middle aged (35+) it is probable that an increasing top down percentage of readers will be beginning to experience age related vision degeneration., Consequently the grey type face used in the composition and posted boxes is far from ideal. There are better colour combinations which can not only look cool, but also aid legibility.

Can your web designers please look at this document
http://www.lighthouse.org/accessibility/design/accessible-print-design/making-text-legible

This gives some very useful examples of text and background colour combinations.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Can your web designers please look at this document
http://www.lighthouse.org/accessibility/design/accessible-print-design/making-text-legible

This gives some very useful examples of text and background colour combinations.

ERR just looked at the web page in the link, John , YUK, would give me a headache inside 20mins, by the way all there small print is dark grey on a light grey back ground just like the forum, only the headings are black. also just like on the forum

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes, you're right. As I said, we'll definitely listen to and consider all suggestions, thus the pop-up box and page-jumping issues have been resolved.

At present, we're not planning any other major changes. We're very mindful of the fact that we will never keep everyone happy all the time but, as I said, all ideas/thoughts will be considered.

Different tones of black/grey are used across the forum and indeed across the website as a whole for emphasis. Dark grey on a lighter grey background is much less severe and easier on the eye than black on a white background, and it fits with the design of the forum and the website as a whole. If individual users have problems, there's always the option of making your computer's screen lighter/darker, or increasing the size of the text on your screen so you can read it better. I hope that helps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts