Found areas of crazing on my roof

Jul 1, 2021
Visit site
Hi everyone,
I have a 2016 swift sprite freedom 6 that I’ve owned for 2 months. While cleaning the roof today I’ve found some areas of crazing on the back part of the roof near where it joins to the rear solid plastic panel on the back of the caravan. The joint tape that covers the joint between the roof to the back panel has a part that is lifting up in too. I’ve attached some pictures for some advice on what it is and what can be done about it please. I will be speaking to the dealer I bought it from but it doesn’t have a full service history so don’t think there will be any warranty support in place from swift. There are no leaks/damp I can see/find around the internal areas of the crazing/lifting joint tape.

Thanks I’m advance for any advice anyone can offer before I speak to the dealer.E2E66E18-B0EB-43C3-B48E-DDE45097DA75.jpegF91DB31C-D61C-4551-A723-4035EC2EEF04.jpegB8144B5E-ED49-4128-BE09-7452C15A6911.jpeg268DF214-E0DF-456D-961F-A722FE3E7746.jpeg10F767D3-5F62-4AD3-8107-A712045E24FA.jpeg

Reactions: Bard Rooney
Jul 1, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I will be getting in touch with the dealer but just wanted to be a bit more forearmed with what it could be before I do. Does it look as though it is at risk of getting worse and could it lead to water ingress? How should it be repaired?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I will be getting in touch with the dealer but just wanted to be a bit more forearmed with what it could be before I do. Does it look as though it is at risk of getting worse and could it lead to water ingress? How should it be repaired?
Was the caravan bought privately or from a dealer?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The tape that covers the rear transverse roof seal should be removed, the area cleaned and new tape applied. As for the crazing it needs rubbing down and reciting with etch primer and top coat.

Jul 1, 2021
Visit site
The tape that covers the rear transverse roof seal should be removed, the area cleaned and new tape applied. As for the crazing it needs rubbing down and reciting with etch primer and top coat.
Thanks other Clive. Any idea what could have caused it? Risk of water ingress?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks other Clive. Any idea what could have caused it? Risk of water ingress?

You shouldn't get water ingress over the crazed areas they just require painting, unless any pinholes are found. Re the tape that is lifting its not uncommon for it to sometimes lift. Mine did that on a 2013 Swift after five years. But my tape was replaced when the service dealer found very fine cracks in the ABS rear panel where it joined the main roof and a couple on the side of the rear panel near marker light. That did let some moisture in but it was caught early. The dealer protected the area with Duct tape until a new rear panel was fitted.

Looking at your lifted tape it doesn't seem to have lifted as far as the seal underneath so hopefully no moisture ingress.

Jul 1, 2021
Visit site
Thanks otherclive, Ive looked through the paperwork from the dealer about the 12 month warranty they provide. Their workshop is NCC approved but the warranty paperwork states that deterioration of paintwork isn’t covered. Be interesting to see what they say as the crazed areas on the roof were not pointed out to me during the handover but the pre delivery report comments that exterior panels and paintwork have age related marks.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I wouldn’t loose any sleep over the crazing. Can be done diy if you can reach as a good appearance is not critical. I don’t think the seal is urgent but it would be good to get it sorted.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks otherclive, Ive looked through the paperwork from the dealer about the 12 month warranty they provide. Their workshop is NCC approved but the warranty paperwork states that deterioration of paintwork isn’t covered. Be interesting to see what they say as the crazed areas on the roof were not pointed out to me during the handover but the pre delivery report comments that exterior panels and paintwork have age related marks.
Remember that a warranty is in addition to the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and CRA 2015 over rides any warranty. From date of delivery you have 30 days to reject and then thereafter and within 6 months of delivery you need to give the dealer ONE opportunity at repair before requesting a refund or replacement.
However in this case as said crazing is nothing to lose any sleep about and you should not be having any water ingress.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
I've never seen a joint tape like that, is that for real?
Do Swift actually sell there vans with that afixed from new?
From the comments above they obviously do, note to one self dont buy a Swift...........are there any other makes that do the same I need to stay away from?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
From the comments above they obviously do, note to one self dont buy a Swift...........are there any other makes that do the same I need to stay away from?
Properly applied to a prepared surface it has a long life. The tape isn’t the primary seal. It covers the seal seam. I seem to recall that Hutch bought some tape to use on his Coachman but for what seam I’m not sure. But he didn’t use it. Roof lock or Eternabond have amazing adhesion and weather resistance.

Reactions: Gagakev
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When washing the roof down on our caravan did not see a joint tape . it nice and shiny now .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When washing the roof down on our caravan did not see a joint tape . it nice and shiny now .
The reason that you didn’t see any tape is that you had cleaned the roof so well a form of snow blindness set in, or else you have Autoglym’d it away with your avid polishing. 😂

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The reason that you didn’t see any tape is that you had cleaned the roof so well a form of snow blindness set in, or else you have Autoglym’d it away with your avid polishing. 😂
At least our van roof is waxed and polish and it looks great for a 13 years old caravan ,

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Properly applied to a prepared surface it has a long life. The tape isn’t the primary seal. It covers the seal seam. I seem to recall that Hutch bought some tape to use on his Coachman but for what seam I’m not sure. But he didn’t use it. Roof lock or Eternabond have amazing adhesion and weather resistance.
Thats correct OC, I was going to cover the rear panel seam to the roof. As an added protection, againt rain penetrating whilst in forward motion, Roof lock seemed to be a good choice. Haven't got round to it yet, I haven't seen the van since April.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts