Four or two motors for a twin axle caravan motor mover?

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Simple question, Can a large van be manoeuvered using two motors instead of four or is it a case of a trade-off between extra weight and manoeuverability? Which one would you go far.

Oct 22, 2019
Visit site
we manage with 2 - helps if we keep the jockey wheel low so it acts a bit more like a single axle. We do need to give it a bit of a 'hand' with a push and a pull to get it into its resting position at home.
On sites we can back it in no problem if we choose our pitches wisely.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Each motor mover manufacturer will have done their homework as to the weight and number of axles their products will cope with. Some chose 2 and some chose 4 motors for twin axles, and provided the manufacturers instructions are followed and limits are not exceeded either solution should work.

There are obviously more cost and weight implications for 4 motor designs, and 4 motor designs might be able to create a slightly tighter continuous turn.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Heavy duty 2 Powrtouch has moved my ta for 12 years. Don’t expect turning on a sixpence but still does the job. 4 is very expensive and erodes your pay load by a considerable margin.

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
An acquaintance of mine had 2 movers on his ta, 4 weeks late 4!
I suppose it depends on how tight a turning circle you require.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have seen lots of TA with just MM on the front wheels, as So one said keep the jockey wheel low to relieve the weight on the rear ones.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
We have two power touches. Would not want just the one set ,even two are slower and less manoeverable than a single set on a single axle.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If visiting the continent then 4 WD motor is the preferred choice. Those who have a twin axle and have been to sites on the continent will realise why AWD is preferred. We initially had the 2 for about a 18 months and then upgraded to the 4WD. It does make turning a lot easier, but there is a weight penalty.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If visiting the continent then 4 WD motor is essential. We initially had the 2 for about a 18 months and then upgraded to the 4WD. It does make turning a lot easier, but there is a weight penalty.
Why should going to the continent make any difference? What is your reasoning?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Why should going to the continent make any difference? What is your reasoning?
A lot of “Continental “ sites are very cramped, tight spaces. The more manoeuvrability the better. But my single axle motors on the ta do the job. Just takes a lot longer 🤪🤪

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
We have a two motor Powertouch on out t/a caravan.
It does the job that I want it to do, but the caravan isn't particularly manoeuverable.
The motor mover won't turn the caravan within it's own axis, it's got a turning circle like an aircraft carrier rather than a frigate.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Single axle caravans can usually rotate on the spot by driving the wheels in opposite directions , but I am not aware of an twin axle mover that can do the same: the tyre scrub resistances a simply to great for the mover to over come.

I recall there used to be one TA mover that basically shuffled the caravan round, but even that needed to mover forwards and backwards several times to complete a 90 degree turn.

I'm sure there will be a mixture of easy and difficult sites both here and on the continent.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Single axle caravans can usually rotate on the spot by driving the wheels in opposite directions , but I am not aware of an twin axle mover that can do the same: the tyre scrub resistances a simply to great for the mover to over come.

I recall there used to be one TA mover that basically shuffled the caravan round, but even that needed to mover forwards and backwards several times to complete a 90 degree turn.

I'm sure there will be a mixture of easy and difficult sites both here and on the continent.
My Powertouch will complete a 90° turn, but it needs the full width of our street to do it.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
As has been said, I think by Prof, the limitations of a single axle mover are caused by tyre scrub. Anything that causes the tyre to rotate will alleviate the effects of tyre scub and thereby easing the resistance a twin axle will have to turn. The other point I would make is that some twins are far heavier than their single axle counterpart and will require more power in some circumstances, not only for the turning but also if being pushed up a steep driveway or similar. The downside of course with 4 is the extra weight added to the caravan.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
When turning you can use the right forward turning button and the rear left reverse turning button. Thye are diagonally opposite one another. Stabbing motion helps to turn it quite quickly. A lot less scrubbing of tyres however if on gravel or similar scrubbing is not a big issue.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
When turning you can use the right forward turning button and the rear left reverse turning button. Thye are diagonally opposite one another. Stabbing motion helps to turn it quite quickly. A lot less scrubbing of tyres however if on gravel or similar scrubbing is not a big issue.
My 12 year old Powrtouch isn’t wired that way. I know the later ones will allow opposite rotation to assist in turning. I may ask Powrtouch if mine can be modified.
Sadly my street is not as wide as Parksy’s. I need a six lane motorway to do a 180🤪🤪🤪

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Are you saying it turns about the centre of the axles with forward and back (shuffling) movements to accommodate it?
No Prof, the controller on my motor mover has forward , forward left and forward right buttons and the same for reverse.
For example, to turn right the forward and forward right buttons can be pressed at the same time to minimise tyre scrub. Because of the forward movement there is less tyre scrub than there would be if the forward right only button was used.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Nov 4, 2007
Visit site
To turn my caravan round on my block paved drive I use car wheel skates under the non driven wheels. I also have a set of skates with a towbar bolted to it. This allows the jockey wheel to be raised to its highest position and be just clear of the ground. Obviously this technique is only suitable for home use.

Reactions: Parksy and Dustydog
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Possibly the answer is it depends. Most movers have a weight limit which you should not exceed but most lighter twin axles should manage with one axle but heavier ones will need two.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Powrtouch have always done a heavy duty two motor unit for TAs up to 2000kgs. The problem having four motors is the high erosion of your usable payload. For the number of times I need to use it I can accept the slow movement . After all we are on holiday, what’s the rush😉😉

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts