France-Speed stickers-Up date re size and location

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
We are aware of the speed restrictions whilst towing in France when using a vehicle plated for over 3500kg GTW [Gross Train Weight], irrespective of the actual weights involved.

The restrictions being, 80 for single carriageways and 90 for dual carriageways and motorways.

We are aware that the rear of the vehicle ought to display stickers and that reportedly this requirement to display these is generally ignored by the authorities.

However there has been ambiguity on the size and placement of the two stickers on the back of our caravans for those of us who feel it's prudent to simply comply rather than risk the issue. These stickers can be supplied by www.speedstickers.co.uk telephone: 0800 988 7329 (between 10.00 - 14.00)

We have received from the Caravan Club a very clear guidance statement on this, obtained from the Automobile Club de France :-

"The stickers must have a minimum size of 15 cm in diameter.

The speed limit (in km/h) must be written in black numbers, on a white background. The stickers can be glued, attached or painted on the bodywork.

The sticker mentioning the lowest speed must be put in the left bottom of the back of the vehicle. If several stickers are necessary, the sticker with the highest speed must be put on the right side of the other stickers (if horizontally aligned) or above the other stickers (if vertically aligned)."

The following Caravan Club website gives the more general detail:

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/news-and-events/news/overseas-news/2009/jul/speed-limits-in-france---update

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
What ever happened to the rule that if it complies with the regulations in the country of origin (EU member) then it was legal trough out the EU.

Steve W

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
If you believe the various reports of the 103Euro cash fines some UK caravanner's claim to have been spot fined in Spain for not having the "long vehicle" sticker for over 12 metre units as opposed to the more general 13 metre rule then, it would appear the police can do what they choose.

At

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Spain does require 'Long Vehicle' markings even for foreign registered vehicles, but I can only repeat that the French authorities do not, as far as I know, extend their specific requirements to include visitors to their country.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
I tend to share JTQ point of view, if, for around six pounds I can avoid any potential roadside discussion with a gendarme then it will be money well spent.

Lutz and Steve W, why would speed restrictions in France not apply to vehicles from other countries?

Sep 15, 2006
Visit site
Why is it that Spain can get away with demanding a long vehicle sign, but the UK seemingly can't insist on all LHD vehicles having an additional mirror to prevent the tragic instances where they move over and squash cars on the near side.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Why is it that Spain can get away with demanding a long vehicle sign, but the UK seemingly can't insist on all LHD vehicles having an additional mirror to prevent the tragic instances where they move over and squash cars on the near side.
Don't get me started or we will break the "Non political posting" rule.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts