French Fuel Additives

Jan 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Caught the tail end of an interview on the BBC with Simon Calder,He was talking about an eco additive that has been introduced to fuel in France which could cause problems to us from the UK, does anyone have any more info?

Regards.

Robin M.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Since April, the French have been adding 10% bioethanol to petrol. Pumps delivering this fuel mixture are marked "SP95 E10". This fuel can cause corrosion of aluminium components within the engine and attack seals and hoses. The engines of most current models will, however, accept 10% additive without a problem, but especially if you have an older car you will need to check with your dealer and/or the car manufacturer whether it is suitable. If not, you can avoid problems by filling up with 'Super' instead of regular grade. Fact is, however, that there is an EU agreement to increase the bioethanol content in petrol to 10% across the board, including the UK, by 2010.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
ps: I have a list of which models are suited to take 10% bioethanol additive. It's not complete, but it covers most popular car manufacturers, so I may be able to help if you let me know what car you drive.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Most French Garages now sell 3 types of petrol.......

E98 Super

E95 Regular/Unleaded

95-E10 Bio

In general cars built before the year 2000 are not suitable for the use of 95-E10 bio.

The fuel contains 10% Ethanol which is highly corrosive to some metal pipes and fittings used in older cars.

The fear is that as some owners already miss fuel their cars and that this will lead to even more cofusion.

The French have been made aware by widespread publicity but visiting motorists will be confused.

Source: The Daily Telegraph 11/07/09

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
I have come across diesel with a bio per centage added - usually about 3 - 6 %, and there has been no other choice. Can't remember which country - may have been Belgium.

Keith

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The difference between additives in petrol and those in diesel is that petrol additives are required by EU agreement whereas diesel additives are voluntary in Europe. Japanese standards, however, require 5%.

The FAME additive in diesel (Fatty Acid Methyl Ester) is less of a problem and, besides, the percentage in the fuel is always well below 10% unless the pump is marked as delivering biodiesel.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts