Fresh water hose

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Have been on full service pitch, without warning a blow to side of our caravan made me think at time someone has kicked/ thrown an object . Went outside to find the fresh water hose had split . Not just a leak but completely blown apart. The tap pressure was as normal ie just turned on , never a full turn . Will try to enclose photo when I find out how to make them smaller for the Forum.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Was it an expandable hose? They have previous on going pop.

Agreed. We had those from Screwfix, must have replaced them half a dozen times before we insisted on a refund. None lasted more than two uses.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We have a standard blue, food grade hose which has been fine for years. But we used to have one that goes flat for rolling. I got it out to use once, it had rotted and disintegrated.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Robert

The hose you have pictured is not designed to take mains pressure (which can go as high as 6Bar) so i'm not entirely surprised its blown

You need a reinforced food grade hose for use with mains water pressure.

Did you tell the dealer you were going to use it on mains water? If you did and this is what dealer recommended, then they have failed in their duty under the CRA, and should fully refund your money.

If you didn't tell them about the mains water then it its down to you as you chose it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I can't tell from your photo what sort of hose you have, although I would think your problem is caused by a pressure build up somewhere, and the hose turned out to be the weakest point, maybe just put it down to experience and replace with a stronger hose,

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Have been on full service pitch, without warning a blow to side of our caravan made me think at time someone has kicked/ thrown an object . Went outside to find the fresh water hose had split . Not just a leak but completely blown apart. The tap pressure was as normal ie just turned on , never a full turn . Will try to enclose photo when I find out how to make them smaller for the Forum.

If the tap is only partially open the pressure from the water supply will be the same as if the tap were in the fully open position.

As others have said the expandable hoses can be iffy.

I found that fitting a pressure reducer solved the expandable hose problems and it provides over pressure protection to other hose types.

15psi (or 1 Bar) pressure reducer is suitable, plenty to choose from on-line, e.g:

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hello Robert

The hose you have pictured is not designed to take mains pressure (which can go as high as 6Bar) so i'm not entirely surprised its blown

Did you tell the dealer you were going to use it on mains water? If you did and this is what dealer recommended, then they have failed in their duty under the CRA, and should fully refund your money.

If you didn't tell them about the mains water then it its down to you as you chose it.
I doubt if our Whale mains water hose is reinforced as it is very flexible and you can roll it up tight.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have looked at the Whale product, and the hose is reinforced. You can tell because the surface of the hose has ripples which are caused by the reinforcement, and the fact the pressure reducer is at the caravan end, so the hose will be subjected to mains pressure.

Most manufacturers choose to put the pressure reducer at the caravan end to mitigate the flow restriction effects of the hose.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Hello Robert

Fortunatly the section of hose was a extension of the main hose for service hook up . The tap as said was only just turned on sufficient to top up barrel . I did not say to dealer about mains hook up , my fault.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Fortunatly the section of hose was a extension of the main hose for service hook up . The tap as said was only just turned on sufficient to top up barrel . I did not say to dealer about mains hook up , my fault.
OK I'm sorry you'll have to foot the bill.

You have again told us "The tap as said was only just turned on sufficient to top up barrel" The tap only restricts the flow, not the pressure. It doesn't matter how little you open a tap, if there outlet of the hose is stopped by the valve on the barrel, the tap will continue to build the pressure in the pipe up to the full supply pressure.

However there are pressure regulator valves, which do limit the pressure and these are used on proper mains water direct to caravan systems, but there is a trade off. If you have a low pressure feed into a pipe the resistance of the pipe will further restrict the flow so you can get poor flow performance in the caravan. That is why most manufacturers fit high pressure pipe to the tap and only reduce the pressure when it reaches the caravan.

Reactions: Robert_374373903

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts