Fridge vent covers

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
Any ideas where I might find one for my Thetford N97? Are they all model specific or are there generic ones you can get in common sizes? I need two 480 x 180mm. I’m going away for new year… I feel a gaffer tape job coming on! (Don’t worry, I wont be running it on gas)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just to be clear, I am looking for the winter covers, not the vent grilles.
Yes I understood that. If leisure shop direct do not sell them lots of others are out there. Cannot understand though why your vent size isn’t available as to my knowledge the different vent grille sizes are standard across makes, and haven’t really changed much over the years What’s different about your caravan that “ standard” winter covers aren’t available?

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Never fitted them, never had a problem. However we hardly used the van in the winter. Seems to me two reasons for them.

Prevent over ventilation.
To prevent excess weather entering.

So long as the flu never gets obstructed, I think they can be formed temporarily using plastic sheet.

John

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Never fitted them, never had a problem. However we hardly used the van in the winter. Seems to me two reasons for them.

Prevent over ventilation.
To prevent excess weather entering.

So long as the flu never gets obstructed, I think they can be formed temporarily using plastic sheet.

John

The primary purpose is to restrict the airflow over the heat exchanger on the back of the fridge. If there is too much airflow then the fridge over cools to the extent the temperature in the fridge gets way below freezing.
A sheet of plastic and a some duct tape works just fine, and costs vastly less than thr £30+ fir the purpose made one's. Just be sure not to obstruct the vent over the gas chimney (easy to identify) if running on gas

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
No chance of me running fridge on gas in the winter, would always have EHU.
I’ve ordered some magnetic strip a&b strip and plan to get get some acrylic sheet or perspex cut to size.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The primary purpose is to restrict the airflow over the heat exchanger on the back of the fridge. If there is too much airflow then the fridge over cools to the extent the temperature in the fridge gets way below freezing...
That is not the reason for using winter covers. Caravan fridges use the absorption principle and unlike normal domestic fridges which use compressors to move the refrigerant around the system, the Absorption process uses a thermal drive process which needs a chemical cocktail which is only fully effective in a certain range of ambient temperatures. If the ambient temperature is out of the ideal range (see the manufacturers specifications,) the systems efficacy is reduced or in extreme conditions it may stop altogether.

Extreems of ambient temperatures will reduce the effectiveness of the fridge so it cools less well and could easily start to warm up.
The winter covers reduce the effect of the external air on the fridge and thus in unusually cold weather all ow the fridge to work more effectively.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Any ideas where I might find one for my Thetford N97? Are they all model specific or are there generic ones you can get in common sizes? I need two 480 x 180mm. I’m going away for new year… I feel a gaffer tape job coming on! (Don’t worry, I wont be running it on gas)
Surely it will be cheaper to run on gas if the pitch is metered?

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
Sorry to hijack the thread (although for what it's worth my fridge is also an N97, so partly relevant)...

Inspired by this thread I've been thinking about winter covers for my fridge vents - I managed without them a couple of weeks ago when the temperatures outside were only just above freezing, but we plan to do more winter caravanning so perhaps I should consider them.

The vent covers I've seen online are all sold in singles - do you only use one, or do you need two and cover both vents?

Given they're thirty quid each, like Chris I am considering something home made with perspex and magnets!

UPDATE - if it helps anyone, https://www.perspexsheet.uk/4mm-clear-000-perspex/ will currently supply two pieces 4mm thick, in the sizes Chris specified, for about £20 inc postage.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Sorry to hijack the thread (although for what it's worth my fridge is also an N97, so partly relevant)...

Inspired by this thread I've been thinking about winter covers for my fridge vents - I managed without them a couple of weeks ago when the temperatures outside were only just above freezing, but we plan to do more winter caravanning so perhaps I should consider them.

The vent covers I've seen online are all sold in singles - do you only use one, or do you need two and cover both vents?

Given they're thirty quid each, like Chris I am considering something home made with perspex and magnets!

UPDATE - if it helps anyone, https://www.perspexsheet.uk/4mm-clear-000-perspex/ will currently supply two pieces 4mm thick, in the sizes Chris specified, for about £20 inc postage.

Or go to Wickes or similar and get a sheet of floor protection. Enough to make about 10 sets (in black), for about £5.60

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

I’ve always used two.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

I know of a couple of people that use the perspex and fit it inside the vents using tape or blue tac.

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
We've caravanned all year round for years and never blanked off the fridge vents. Never been a problem!

For gas we have a 10kg Safefill. Last refill cost a massive £14!

Reactions: Hutch
Feb 13, 2022
Visit site

Just wondering if I should have it cover the whole vent or leave a little bit exposed as the purpose made covers seem to.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts