Fridge vents

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Recently I posted a request for some help regarding terrible draughts coming through the fridge vents especially when we use the van in winter. I have had some very helpful replies, and winter vent screens have been suggested, but on the Towsure website they say that they must only be used when the van is in storage, not when it is use. Towsure do not make this clear in their brochure - so I thought that I'd better had! Anyway, thanks to those who took the time to reply - it is really appreciated. Clive

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
clive, my bailey ranger had them fitted from new,went to france last year mid summer 36degs plus fridge cooled ok then at easter this year when cleaning after winter storeage found that they could be removed for summer vents, dooooouuuuhhhhhhh

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Winter covers for Electrolux / Dometic fridges should be used, DURING USE, when the ambient temperature is 10 degrees Celcius or below. This is what they're designed for. I don't know where Towsure are coming from!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have used winter fridge vents on all our caravans. If you get the correct ones for your vents from a caravan dealer they do not cover the flue vent of your fridge so making them safe to use.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ian

With reference to fitting winter covers the Haynes Caravan Manual 2000 says that the covers may be used at outside temperatures of +10 deg C or below. (50 F.) And also for winter storage. There is also a good article on installation inspection.

Regards Jim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The exterior fridge vents are designed to allow the condenser coil of teh fridge to have access to outside air, so it can dump the exsess heat from the fridge. Always check with the appliance instructions or manufacture relevant to your model and installation before covering any of these vents. Do not assume that Haynes or any other source has the correct information, they may be based on different models.

Apr 22, 2004
Visit site
Clive, don't assume that your fridge was correctly fitted by the manufacturer. I collected a brand new Lunar Lexon in October 2003 and for the first couple of outings I wondered where the cold draughts were coming from, when I removed the fridge vents for inspection all was clearly revealed. The factory had made a right pigs ear of installing the fridge and the baffles which are supposed to seal the fridge from the elements outside were barely recognisable and not actually attached to anything. I ended up removing the fridge myself and making good the job, I would suggest that you look carefully inside behind the vents and if you can't sort it yourself or don't feel that you should have to return it to your dealer and ask them to sort it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts