Front chest or sofa

Mar 23, 2005
Visit site
Hi All

Have been looking at upgrading to a Bailey Pageant Burgundy S7
thumbup.gif

I was wondering if you can add a chest of draws at the front instead of having the wrap around cushions
yes.gif
If so is this easy, or something that a dealer will need to do
secret.gif
I look forward to your thoughts also about this style of van. Has anyone got one??

Cheers for now

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
ive no experiance of the bailey but i have tried to live with a van with wrap around seating rather than a chest and it was frankly pretty awfull, anyone with a body build slightly larger than a small child was unable to use the center seat unless they had their head bent forward creating a uncomfortable experiance.
i cant understand why so many manufacturers are removing the center chest from their ranges its much better than an un usable seat surely.

Apr 16, 2008
Visit site
We had a Burstner that came with both! The chest was easily removed to make way for centre seating - very handy when the grandchildren came with us and we had to eat inside. Also gave us a King size bed! However, that particular van had a wide under window shelf so there was no risk of head bumping when using the cushions. We had wrap around seating with an Eccles and found the corner pre-shaped cushions a pain to store when the bed was made up. We find the chest useful in our Bailey and having heard the cost of substitute cushions decided we wouldn't consider leaving the chest at home.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
We purchased our 2009 Bailey Pageant Sancerre last year from a local dealer.
It didnt come with a chest of drawers,but the dealer said that we could purchase one if required so i would imagine that it is a diy job.
Adrian

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We added a chest from a Burgundy Series 5 (pale wood) to the front of our Swift, to replace the wrap-around seating. It fits perfectly, the wood is the same, and it cost us only £25.00 from an ebay advert! We had to go to Worcester to collect it though!
It was a DIY job, but there were some problems with the bed slats which slide in under that area. These had to be carefully avoided when fixing the chest to the wooden panel which formed the base for the seats. The fixing needs to be very secure, too, as the chest is quite a weighty item, and could easily unbalance if the table top is flipped up and over. We added a fixing to secure the chest to the front of the van, too, and a bolt to keep the table top in place and prevent it sliding forwards in any sudden movement.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
If Julian is buying the van new I'm sure you can opt for a chest. From memory I think it costs about £260.
We had an L shaped living area when buying an Abbey new because it seemed more spacious but it was a big mistake.
We couldn't do without the centre chest.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
We leave the chest at home!! What a waste of time, would much rather have the very large bed at night! Don't have to get to close to the wife that way! Plenty of room for the dog too!!!!!!!!!! and the kids in the morning for a lazy lie in!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Lakey said:
We leave the chest at home!! What a waste of time, would much rather have the very large bed at night!

I suppose it depends on the van on the size of the bed. Nobody would call me small but there's plenty of room for me and Her Ladyship with the chest on our Bailey. Infact the bed is larger than the one at home. The two dogs, small ones, sleep at the bottom of the bed.
Like DD, we use the table a lot and would miss the drawers where we keep our reading stuff
smiley-smile.gif

Mar 23, 2005
Visit site
Hi all
Thanks for your thoughts
smiley-smile.gif
It's a second hand 2010 Bailey, I think I would miss the table for the wine or beer in the evening
smiley-wink.gif
Does anyone know if it can be retro fitted? Is it a dealer job?
Cheers for now

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
As I said, we fitted ours ourselves. If you're a competent DIYer, and most caravanners are of necessity, then it shouldn't be a problem. The cost might be though - some of them I've seen since we bought ours, are expensive even second-hand, and a new one costs only about £40 less than our first van (which incidentally, had a front chest though not the flip-over table!!!).

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
We would love to have a chest of drawers at the front of our second-hand Lunar Premier and, particularly, the table top which comes with it. We have thought about restro-fitting, but the wide front shelf and low front window probably make this impossible without the whole effect looking clumsy. Getting the table out each time we want to eat (we don't like it left up and, as it is free-standing, it can't be left in situ - unlike our previous 'van). Has anyone successfully fitted a chest to this particular model?

Jo

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Our new Eldis doesn't have a front chest> We were used to one in our last van. Only been for one short trip out so a bit soon to say, but didn't really miss it.
mel

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I fitted a front chest of drawers into out 2009 Bailey Senator California - dead easy - just 4 screws! The chest cost a bomb but now we don't bother carrying the table away with us. Worth the cost.
Mike

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts