Fuel queues.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Last night a government spokesperson said it might be wise for motorists to keep their tanks with enough fuel in them. Today my wife went to Sainsbury’s for groceries and the queues for fuel were choking traffic back to the A4. When she came out the staff had taken the disabled car park out of use, in order to divert vehicles queuing for fuel. She was told the queues started forming at 0630. I had to admit to her that I put a half a tank full into the Scoobie just in case, but no queuing for me. Then she admitted she had filled hers up too and no queuing at an Esso adjacent to Sainsbury’s

Bet Lidls EV charging points were available though.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Last night a government spokesperson said it might be wise for motorists to keep their tanks with enough fuel in them. Today my wife went to Sainsbury’s for groceries and the queues for fuel were choking traffic back to the A4. When she came out the staff had taken the disabled car park out of use, in order to divert vehicles queuing for fuel. She was told the queues started forming at 0630. I had to admit to her that I put a half a tank full into the Scoobie just in case, but no queuing for me. Then she admitted she had filled hers up too and no queuing at an Esso adjacent to Sainsbury’s

Bet Lidls EV charging points were available though.
Hi otherclive thanks for the update i better fill the car up (y)

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
There is no shortage of fuel, but some fuel stations have had to temporarily close because of a shortage of fuel tanker drivers.
These hysterical news reports only serve to stoke up needless panic buying.
If there's a shortage of petrol or diesel at a fuel station that you use, just move on to the next one where they'll almost certainly have a good supply.

Reactions: Buckman and Mel
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There is no shortage of fuel, but some fuel stations have had to temporarily close because of a shortage of fuel tanker drivers.
If there's a shortage of petrol or diesel at a fuel station that you use, just move on to the next one where they'll almost certainly have a good supply.
That’s right, my wife’s car only had 80 miles range left and mine was below 25% so we both were about to fuel them anyway. and we were both out anyway The station I used and the one she used weren’t particularly busy anyway. The mower is out of petrol but fortunately our daughter has a nice battery one I can borrow.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Hopefully, all the panic buyers fuel tanks will be so topped up, they can't take any more. Therefore, stop causing traffic jam issues, the like we ran into here this morning passing a Tesco and then a Sainsburys.
Utter madness.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Absolutely and unthinking people cause the issue. Coming from Chipping Norton the queue for fuel was blocking the main road around Evesham.
The Jeep is down to less than a quarter tank the lowest it has been for nearly 3 years, but no way was I going to get into a queue to get fuel when there is plenty available.
Don't you just hate reporters as they cause more issues than any other segment of the public?

Reactions: Bluetonic
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Who are the 'CLOWNS' doing this 'panic' buying? Have you noticed no one ever admits to it!
Mea Culpa. As we were both out in the cars today we both bought petrol. My tank is now 50% full which is where I tend to keep it. Wife’s is fully topped as we used her car a lot more than mine. We have done nothing out of our ordinary routine. This gives us the ability to lend either of our cars to our daughter for her community nursing journeys or placements at Salisbury a 80 mile round trip. Covers chauffeuring granddaughter to taekwondo and part time jobs, and responding at any time to a crisis with BIL in Coventry. If that makes me a CLOWN, guilty as charged. 😀

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Just filled up at a Sainsburys petrol station. (Needed to after tow to site.) No queue no problems. Passed a Shell garage later, similarly no queue.
Mel

Reactions: Bluetonic
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just filled up at a Sainsburys petrol station. (Needed to after tow to site.) No queue no problems. Passed a Shell garage later, similarly no queue.
Mel
We go shopping on Wednesday so will put at least 1/2 tank into the vehicle as it will be running on diesel fumes to get there as it is a 14 mile trip from our village!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
{insert suitably smug comment about charging at home over night here}

Come on - you all knew it was coming...;);)
This is like looking to the future as fuel stations close down and get further apart.

Not “smug” more a sense of satisfaction I suggest.

Reactions: Tobes
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Might not be so smug when the gas fired power stations run out and we get power cuts and restrictions again.

😏

John
But we’ve been told like fuel there’s no shortage of gas. But since the laws of supply and demand govern these commodities prices wouldn’t be so high if the commodity wasn’t in short supply.
Garages that hike prices up as some have done today say they are doing it to deter panic buying. That’s priceless, why not ration sales instead?

Reactions: Tobes
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I plan to panic buy tomorrow. But is this a good enough reason?

We left Marazion CAMH site this morning heading for Wellington. The first 20 miles took 2h10m. Due to road works and a caravan accident. But it did not look severe. It could have been a breakdown, when we past it the Jag was on the back of the recovery truck and the van behind, but there was some debris around. Good pace after that, until the satnav warned of major hold ups at Exeter. It suggested going South and over the Tamar bridge. And that has major road works and lane closures. So I resorted to the map and turned left at Oakhampton going to Bideford On the A386. Which resembles a B road. It added 10 miles but we could keep going. The internet told us of an 8 car pile up at Exeter so pleased we avoided that.

So 5h30m for 156 miles. Amazingly we averaged 30 mph somehow and 25.3mpg.

We go home to Gloucester on Sunday and would rather not run out on the motorway.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

We left Marazion CAMH site this morning heading for Wellington. The first 20 miles took 2h10m. Due to road works and a caravan accident. But it did not look severe. It could have been a breakdown, when we past it the Jag was on the back of the recovery truck and the van behind, but there was some debris around. Good pace after that, until the satnav warned of major hold ups at Exeter. It suggested going South and over the Tamar bridge. And that has major road works and lane closures. So I resorted to the map and turned left at Oakhampton going to Bideford On the A386. Which resembles a B road. It added 10 miles but we could keep going. The internet told us of an 8 car pile up at Exeter so pleased we avoided that.

We go home to Gloucester on Sunday and would rather not run out on the motorway.

John
After that journey from hell, you’ve passed muster.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
My wife is a home carer for the elderly and stopped to get petrol this morning.
The car in front also decided to fill 2 x 5 gallon containers in his boot after filling his tank.
🤢🤢

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
My wife is a home carer for the elderly and stopped to get petrol this morning.
The car in front also decided to fill 2 x 5 gallon containers in his boot after filling his tank.
🤢🤢

For me, I just need a bit more fuel to make sure I get home. But there are some who will be panic buying for legitimate reasons. Like you’re wife, on today’s radio they talked to NHS workers in the community, essential users who have no priority. In fact, because they are limited to particular suppliers, they are even less choice.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

John
Hi John Glad you arrived safely and have good rest :)

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Today from the junction 7 on M5 to 1st round about to go to Malvern to drop off caravan in storage took us over an hour to do a distance of about 3 miles. No accident. Just 2 lanes going into one for roadworks on new bridge.
The holdup was caused by drivers in the turn right lane only pushing into the nearside lane or going to the round about and then round it preventing those in the nearside from accessing the round about and then pushing in where road is into a single lane off the round about. A lot of hot tempers and close calls.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
For me, I just need a bit more fuel to make sure I get home. But there are some who will be panic buying for legitimate reasons. Like you’re wife, on today’s radio they talked to NHS workers in the community, essential users who have no priority. In fact, because they are limited to particular suppliers, they are even less choice.

John

We are in Wellington and need to tow to Gloucester tomorrow, may or may not have enough fuel. So we set off this morning,. Mistake 1, I found a Tesco Superstore in Taunton, should have looked in more detail as it did not have a forecourt. So a waste of a trip and fuel. But just up the road I found an Esso with a small queue, filled up with little waiting. Cashier said the had taken £17,000 this morning like it was a record. I then spotted two Texaco‘s with no queues.

Panic over.

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts