Full Fibre Optic Broadband.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 23, 2021
I assumed that we have copper to house from junction box down the road. I think my speed is about 73mbp/s. Up load is about 20mbp/s
Unless you have had an engineer come and fit a fibre termination point to your house, you will be using copper. If you can plug a bog standard phone into your master wall jack and get dial tone, you definitely have copper. That being the case, you would have to install a FTTH / FTTP / Cable solution in order to do away with the copper pair, its line rental and associated broadband service.

Mar 17, 2020
Just as an aside regarding ease of installation from road to house.

We moved to Virgin a couple of years ago - fibre to the house.

When the "engineers" (I use that term sparingly) came to run the cable to the house they were able to run most underground (4-6 inches in a flower bed!) but they had a concrete path contend with. I was amazed to see that their method of routing involved having an impact drill with masonry bit fitted. They then literally tried to cut a depression in the concrete to take the cable. by prodding at the surface with their drill!

They told me that this was their standard way of working and they did not carry a saw!

I had to telephone their boss to insist a proper channel was cut and made good. Next day he arrived with the saw and the job was completed.

I suppose the moral is to watch what the installers do very closely.

Our speeds are now around 220 down and 20 up. I can't honestly say that the difference between these speeds and our previous 50 down and 8 up has made any difference to our internet experience except for large downloads which are not an everyday occurrence.

Web browsing is no faster and steaming was perfectly possible with the previous speeds.

Unless you are looking for something other than the "usual" internet use then I'm not convinced very high speeds are much benefit.

Reactions: RogerL and Buckman
Jun 16, 2020
Just as an aside regarding ease of installation from road to house.

We moved to Virgin a couple of years ago - fibre to the house.

When the "engineers" (I use that term sparingly) came to run the cable to the house they were able to run most underground (4-6 inches in a flower bed!) but they had a concrete path contend with. I was amazed to see that their method of routing involved having an impact drill with masonry bit fitted. They then literally tried to cut a depression in the concrete to take the cable. by prodding at the surface with their drill!

They told me that this was their standard way of working and they did not carry a saw!

I had to telephone their boss to insist a proper channel was cut and made good. Next day he arrived with the saw and the job was completed.

I suppose the moral is to watch what the installers do very closely.

Our speeds are now around 220 down and 20 up. I can't honestly say that the difference between these speeds and our previous 50 down and 8 up has made any difference to our internet experience except for large downloads which are not an everyday occurrence.

Web browsing is no faster and steaming was perfectly possible with the previous speeds.

Unless you are looking for something other than the "usual" internet use then I'm not convinced very high speeds are much benefit.
One Virgin engineer who came to the housebreally needed a Stanley knife for part of the job. He said that the were not allowed to carry them due to Health and Safety issues. He thought it wasva joke. I lent him mine, and never reported it to his boss.

I find the service engineers mostly fine,. But I think they subcontract the cable laying.

For a couple of years now we have had intermittent pixilation. They have replaced most of the gubbins and joints. But also the cable from the box, about 150 yards, re run up the drive and down the side of the house. the only bit they missed was under the conservatory, too difficult. Eventually the changed it under my insistence, I also had to show them how to route the cable. the problem is now fixed.

John

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts