Gas Advice please

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

I am filling out a Sales Order for my new caravan and have to choose between Butane, Propane or Camping Gaz - which is best?

We intend to use the caravan for touring round Britain and France in the longer term.

Any advice gratefully received.

Mark (",)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
No absolute answer to this one. I bet you'll get three lots of advice, (1) definitely take Propane, (2) definitely take Butane and (3) definitely take Camping Gaz. Everyone will argue that their choice is best and each will have a point.

Let me tell you why I chose Camping Gaz. Mainly because it is available all over Europe, including most campsites and supermarkets. My second reason is that my Bailey is a tad heavy in the noseweight department for my car but taking two Camping Gaz bottles is lighter than either of the other two types. The downside is that Camping Gaz is slightly more expensive in the long run but as it only amounts to a few

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We use Calor propane, whilst it is marginally dearer it can be used all the year round , can be purchases all over the UK and (nose weight permitting) we carry 2x6kg cylinders which last most of the season.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Mark,

I fully support Zbungle's comment. It is really horses for courses, and it does depened on what your particular caravanning involves.

With a new caravan, its not to difficult too change between types, it usually requires the purchase and fitting of 'pig tails' to suite the make of gas bottle you want to use.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yep Zbungle I spot on.

But I use butane as the norm as I am a wimp and don,t do much of any caravanning after the end of October and don,t start again till March. But I take a Calor 6Kg to France and a Camping Gaz for the Cadac and a spare Camping gaz regulator and should I run out of Calor I can use the camping gaz and get replacements easy and just trade in the empty camping gaz cylinder,also camping gaz is much cheaper in France than it is here.

Rob

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Technically, Butane has a boiling point of O degrees Celcius, so if it's below freezing outside, then your Butane bottle may struggle a bit to vaporise sufficient gas. If you are out and about on days like this - Propane is the only choice.

Propane has a boiling point of minus 40 degress, so even on the coldest day gas will still flow. But the downside of propane - and why you can't buy it in Southern Europe - is that Propane gas bottles can over pressurize on hot days (40 deg C).

So if you are out with the van when the temperature is above 5 deg C, Butane is the best choice.

Camping Gaz is butane, the only difference is that you can buy Camping Gaz bottles everywhere in Europe. Physically Calor gas bottles are different to Shell gas bottles, Elfgaz bottles are different again, etc., etc. So the supplier / refiller will only swap a bottle for one of the same make.

Suggestion:

1. Main bottle - Calor Gas Butane or whatever make you can easily get locally - and the best price too. Always use this bottle in preference.

2. Spare bottle (for Europe) of Camping Gaz size 907 (the biggest but still under 3kg of gas) - note that gram per gram this gas is roughly twice or three times the price of Calor Gas - then if your main Calor gas runs out in France - you can switch to this bottle and get a refill anywhere.

You can buy a Camping Gaz bottle adapter that accepts the Calor Gas thread - so you don't need a separate regulator - price around

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
Technically, Butane has a boiling point of O degrees Celcius, so if it's below freezing outside, then your Butane bottle may struggle a bit to vaporise sufficient gas. If you are out and about on days like this - Propane is the only choice.

Propane has a boiling point of minus 40 degress, so even on the coldest day gas will still flow. But the downside of propane - and why you can't buy it in Southern Europe - is that Propane gas bottles can over pressurize on hot days (40 deg C).

So if you are out with the van when the temperature is above 5 deg C, Butane is the best choice.

Camping Gaz is butane, the only difference is that you can buy Camping Gaz bottles everywhere in Europe. Physically Calor gas bottles are different to Shell gas bottles, Elfgaz bottles are different again, etc., etc. So the supplier / refiller will only swap a bottle for one of the same make.

Suggestion:

1. Main bottle - Calor Gas Butane or whatever make you can easily get locally - and the best price too. Always use this bottle in preference.

2. Spare bottle (for Europe) of Camping Gaz size 907 (the biggest but still under 3kg of gas) - note that gram per gram this gas is roughly twice or three times the price of Calor Gas - then if your main Calor gas runs out in France - you can switch to this bottle and get a refill anywhere.

You can buy a Camping Gaz bottle adapter that accepts the Calor Gas thread - so you don't need a separate regulator - price around

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts