Gas Appliances

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Since my last service, what with appointments, gales and the onset of C19 I've used my van once, a 200 mile round trip, With the service is due again at the end of Sep. What I'm thinking of now is forgoing a normal service and have the three gas appliances serviced instead, plus a damp check.
It's a reversal of a normal services, where gas appliances are just check for operation, unless you ask for them to be serviced.
Is there such a check for running gear, an operational check??

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Since my last service, what with appointments, gales and the onset of C19 I've used my van once, a 200 mile round trip, With the service is due again at the end of Sep. What I'm thinking of now is forgoing a normal service and have the three gas appliances serviced instead, plus a damp check.
It's a reversal of a normal services, where gas appliances are just check for operation, unless you ask for them to be serviced.
Is there such a check for running gear, an operational check??
The workshop/ mobile AWS engineer that I use will do a chassis running gear service that includes brakes and tow hitch etc. Basically the trailer bits.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The situation regarding gas appliances is that most important aspect is the CO levels of each appliance.
These days it is accepted that providing the CO levels are within certain parameters then it is best to not fiddle about with the actual appliance, so the use of flue gas analyser is essential.
The only other things that need checking are the flame failure devices in that they hold on when a flame is present and cut off the gas when no flame is detected, and that the burn pattern is correct, no yellow flame tips etc.

As for the running gear then all AWS engineers offer a running gear service which will include the removal of the drums, cleaning of the friction pads and drums and adjustment of the brakes to recommended settings.
They will also check the road lights for operation and the hitch coupling, cleaning the friction pads and lubricating the other moving parts.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
The situation regarding gas appliances is that most important aspect is the CO levels of each appliance.
These days it is accepted that providing the CO levels are within certain parameters then it is best to not fiddle about with the actual appliance, so the use of flue gas analyser is essential.
The only other things that need checking are the flame failure devices in that they hold on when a flame is present and cut off the gas when no flame is detected, and that the burn pattern is correct, no yellow flame tips etc.

As for the running gear then all AWS engineers offer a running gear service which will include the removal of the drums, cleaning of the friction pads and drums and adjustment of the brakes to recommended settings.
They will also check the road lights for operation and the hitch coupling, cleaning the friction pads and lubricating the other moving parts.
That's a normal service. I was thinking more of an operational check, on the running, without the strip down.

Think I'll do what Parksy does and service it biannually.

Reactions: Parksy
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Basically as you are engaging a contractor, you can ask them to do, or not do, whatever you want providing they agree and it's lawful.

Whether your choices are sensible is a slightly differnt matter, If you have any active warranties or the caravan is subject to a finance arrangement, or if its being used by anyone else but you, you may be obliged to ensure certain standards or work are carried out under the terms and conditions or legal requirements.

I would observe that even running gear can deteriorate over time even if its not used, but I suspect your chosen contractor will be in a better position to advise on what if anything needs to be done.

Reactions: DaveA1
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Standard Service (Abbey touring caravan)
1/ Road Lighting
2/12volt Electrical System
3/ Water System
4/ Chassis & Equipment
5/ Suspention Wheels Tyres & Brakes
6/ Gas System
7/ Damp Check
8/ 240v Electrics test
9/ Floor Delamination
10/ Hitch
Additional w ork carried out / advistory comments

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Standard Service (Abbey touring caravan)
1/ Road Lighting
2/12volt Electrical System
3/ Water System
4/ Chassis & Equipment
5/ Suspention Wheels Tyres & Brakes
6/ Gas System
7/ Damp Check
8/ 240v Electrics test
9/ Floor Delamination
10/ Hitch
Additional w ork carried out / advistory comments

I am afraid that your list misses quite a lot of what is actually required for a full service and is misleading.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I am afraid that your list misses quite a lot of what is actually required for a full service and is misleading.
Actually i would disagree when we were seasonal a amobile service man came to do a service on my twin axle he was there 2hrs and that did only cover half of that list and cost me £200

Last edited:

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Actually i would disagree when we were seasonal a amobile service man came to do a service on my twin axle he was there 2hrs and that did only cover half of that list and cost me £200

You were ripped off big time.

You may disagree all you like but he facts of the matter is that list is incomplete and for him to charge £200 for some kind of cobbled together "service" is disgusting.

A service takes a MINIMUM of 4 hours if all goes well, most take 5 or more done correctly.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am only going to say this once and thats it.
A service takes a MINIMUM of 4 hours.
A "service" in 2 hours is NOT a service.

People may disagree, but having done this job for over 20 years I actually know how long it takes, if done properly.
Any so called "engineer" can claim to do it in2 hours but that is impossible.

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts