Gas BBQ

Mar 1, 2020
Visit site
I've always used a small charcoal bbq until now but looking to switch to gas for convenience. i don't want a Cadac or similar. I've looked online at the Kampa Bruce and the Outwell Asado which are basically the same. Has anyone used one and if so are they any good? Anything similar out there that I haven't come across that is recommended.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Not exactly the answer you are looking for, but what do you have against the Cadac. We find ours so versatile we can do just about anything on it. If its the smokey taste you long for, you can put hickory chips on it to smoke.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
When we are away we do about 75% of our cooking is done on a Cadac due to the diverse ways you can use it, and no cooking odours in the caravan, not everyone’s choice though, so as I vaguely recall seeing it mentioned once or twice on here “each to their own”

BP

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
After a couple of uses we sold our Cadac skottel as might as well use a frying pan which is easier to clean. Having not learnt our lesson we then bought a Cadac Safari Chef. In the past 6 years we have only used it twice. At the moment it is gathering dust in the garage. We need to get around to selling it sometime.
Good luck with your quest and hope you enjoy found cooked on a gas burner as IMHO might as well use the hob or grill in the caravan. LOL! :D

Reactions: Jcloughie
Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I've always used a small charcoal bbq until now but looking to switch to gas for convenience. i don't want a Cadac or similar. I've looked online at the Kampa Bruce and the Outwell Asado which are basically the same. Has anyone used one and if so are they any good? Anything similar out there that I haven't come across that is recommended.
Hi,
We've just done the opposite - scrapped our gas BBQ and bought a small portable charcoal one.Personally I would'nt have a cadac. they look heavy and cumbersome plus I don't consider them to be "BBQ's" - Just a frying hotplate

Reactions: Buckman
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Love our Cadac-packs away small-definitely not heavy or cumbersome-brilliant piece of design and cooks beautifully-non stick is amazing. Add some wood chips to get the full bbq effect but it's good enough for us!

Mar 1, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. I know the Cadac is highly thought of but to me it is no more than a gas cooker. I think the Bruce or something similar is a compromise between charcoal and gas. Variation of heat like a charcoal bbq from the lava rocks. I've ordered the Crusader version from Amazon. At £28 it's no big deal if i don't like it.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i have use the
Thanks for all the replies. I know the Cadac is highly thought of but to me it is no more than a gas cooker. I think the Bruce or something similar is a compromise between charcoal and gas. Variation of heat like a charcoal bbq from the lava rocks. I've ordered the Crusader version from Amazon. At £28 it's no big deal if i don't like it.
I hope the end result brings you tasty meals for good few breaks :)

Mar 1, 2020
Visit site
Hopefully it will be delivered this week and I can test it. BBQ food is always tasty because it's a well known fact that in order to cook food properly copious amounts of beer must be consumed.

Reactions: Hutch and JezzerB
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Hopefully it will be delivered this week and I can test it. BBQ food is always tasty because it's a well known fact that in order to cook food properly copious amounts of beer must be consumed.

Naw, I can do copious amounts of beer with a bag of crisps. No need to cook.

After a couple of uses we sold our Cadac skottel as might as well use a frying pan which is easier to clean.

TBH, we use the Skottel liner and it saves so much effort cleaning. I do more on the skottel than anything else.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I bought the small Bruce type, its ok but dont put too many lava rocks on it, it works better with less, its ok for a couple of days away, but still like my big old Cadac, your not BBQ ing your Cadacing.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I too love my Cadac Carry-Chef. All packs amazingly into the small zip bag. The later versions with piezzo ignition are better and I do wish there was a 'stop' on the gas control as it is too easy to turn it off instead of turning it down. I use the non-stick grill plate and know that when it wears out replacements are available. While commenting has anyone experience of the pizza stone accessory?

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
We just bough the pizza stone and will be testing it in two weeks time. Looks Good. We have a pizza oven and the base is the same as the cadac and it is superb so am v positive it'll be good. Keep you posted.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We just bough the pizza stone and will be testing it in two weeks time. Looks Good. We have a pizza oven and the base is the same as the cadac and it is superb so am v positive it'll be good. Keep you posted.
I do love a good pizza look forward to a update on this (y)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I bought the small Bruce type, its ok but dont put too many lava rocks on it, it works better with less, its ok for a couple of days away, but still like my big old Cadac, your not BBQ ing your Cadacing.
Ukeman, as a follow up, when I have used ours, I found that the heat from underneath is not too hot so you can safley put it on an outside table, probably best with a wooden chopping board, until your happy. At first I put extra lava rock on it, but that was too much. The amount you get in the bag is probably just right. They are ok, but at £30 what are you expecting.

Reactions: JezzerB
Mar 1, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. i was thinking of getting some extra rocks but won't now and good to know it will be ok on a table. I did find a review of the Crusader on Here we Tow which was favourable.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Am wondering if you could put lava rocks in the cadac -only for bbq ing-not cooking per se? Seems to be the biggest criticism is that you're cooking on gas and not getting the bbq flavour quite-doesn't really bother us and the gadget show recently did coal v gas and the convenience of gas of course wins hands down.

Pizza dough (Jamie Oliver recipe works well but i just use strong bread flour) is in the mixer as we speak-1 hour proving after 20 mins kneading, and then it'll go in the freezer in base size balls bagged and ready to take -keep you posted!

Reactions: Hutch
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Right pizza stone update=we bought one- not cadac genuine-no instructions-first pizza cooked fine-you need to flour it to prevent burning-and was great-just as if it were wood fire cooked-and then it shattered in to 6 pieces-look on the web and it appears they don't take kindly to direct flame.
So bought another-same price -cadac genuine-instructions say cook on the pot stand but don't contact direct flame-well can't see how you can do that-so put the standard grill plate on then the pizza stone. Low and behold perfect pizzas and an intact stone-keep the stone well floured and move the pizza and it cooks perfectly. I make the dough up at home and freeze it-getting it out the morning we want it-took a small pot of flour and home made tomato sauce-and then we apply whatever toppings we fancy-last week meatballs and pesto, last night we had artichoke, pastrami and goats cheese-very very pleased with the results. I did mean to photo one but it was a bit full on feeding us all and keeping them from burning etc. BUT can safely say the stone is very, very good and we'll be using it regularly!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Right pizza stone update=we bought one- not cadac genuine-no instructions-first pizza cooked fine-you need to flour it to prevent burning-and was great-just as if it were wood fire cooked-and then it shattered in to 6 pieces-look on the web and it appears they don't take kindly to direct flame.
So bought another-same price -cadac genuine-instructions say cook on the pot stand but don't contact direct flame-well can't see how you can do that-so put the standard grill plate on then the pizza stone. Low and behold perfect pizzas and an intact stone-keep the stone well floured and move the pizza and it cooks perfectly. I make the dough up at home and freeze it-getting it out the morning we want it-took a small pot of flour and home made tomato sauce-and then we apply whatever toppings we fancy-last week meatballs and pesto, last night we had artichoke, pastrami and goats cheese-very very pleased with the results. I did mean to photo one but it was a bit full on feeding us all and keeping them from burning etc. BUT can safely say the stone is very, very good and we'll be using it regularly!
I was looking forward to photo maybe next time ;)

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We bought a COB as it looked so good. And it does work OK but just too much hassle, a bit like any BBQ in my opinion. But we are going off high fat foods these days. I like a good beef burger or sausage. But do try to limit consumption.

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts