Gas bottles

Aug 19, 2022
Visit site
Hi everybody,
I am new to this forum having come back to caravaning from a short time with a motorhome, 5-6 months. Not for us. After having a Wyoming 6 for 10 years we have opted for an Alicanto porto hopefully mid September this year. We have booked to go to Spain/ Portugal for Dec/Jan/ Feb. In the past I have taken two light weight 6kg propane bottles. Does anyone have any experience with the gaslow system or any other rechargeable bottles.
regards
Movman

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
Safefill are nice bottles, at a price. I have 2x 10kg. You may as well use the largest if they fit. You are not obliged to fill them fully if you don’t need to and even the largest are very lightweight, flexible capacity really. I did not get them to save on gas costs, unlikely for most, rather low weight and flexible high capacity. Given the value you will note the motorbike chain thing in the picture should you look, slows any thief down a little and makes them have to damage the bottles if they try to steal. The locker is alarmed too! You need to be sure you have a LPG retailer near that is likely to stay in business. I interviewed our local place , not a garage, before I bought them 😀.

Steve

Attachments

• C0018C16-33EB-4496-A77E-6926223EB990.jpeg
    C0018C16-33EB-4496-A77E-6926223EB990.jpeg
    456.2 KB · Views: 32
Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I use Gaslow, i have a 11Kg bottle (which i use for home stuff) and a 6Kg bottle for the caravan.

Impressed with the quality of them, and like the mechanical gauge which tells you exactly what's in the bottle.

Not cheap granted, although they do come up on Facebook, Gumtree etc occasionally cheaply. Only yesterday there was a 3.9Kg Gaslow bottle on Gumtree for £50, i would have bought that too had my wife let me

Aug 19, 2022
Visit site
Thanks folks for your comments. I have been watching utube videos on the subject and Safefill comes across very strongly. Think I will go down that route.

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
Might be worth grabbing when you can get if they are in stock. Supply can be very variable let’s say. I waited 6 months to get them

Steve

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for info. Is there a ‘best’ place to buy?
There is a Safefill group on Facebook and they always advsie who is stocking the cylinders. We only have one and see no point in having two cylinders as you can refill at any time. :D

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for info. Is there a ‘best’ place to buy?
I got mine from Cannock Caravans via eBay, just checked they don’t sell them currently. Two sellers listing them there, price has gone up to around 250 on eBay, yep sure enough when I checked lpgshop.co.uk are out of 10kgs again. Looks like the same old supply issues, they get silly on eBay as a result. LPG shop has 7.5 kg though currently. They list the OOS 10 kg at just over 200 which is the usual price. Got mine last November, I think they are likely imported in batches and last year at least they turned up after the summer season. Made in Norway I think. You can never get much info on the due date, suddenly they just seemed to appear,

Hmm ... Maybe I should put mine on eBay at 500 quid and wait 😉

Steve

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Safefill website gives a map showing stockists and you would then have to contact them to see what stock they have.
That map on their website never gets updated. This is not a link of stockists, but at places where you can refill. HERE.
Just to add having checked the Safefill group there are no bottles available at present.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That map on their website never gets updated. This is not a link of stockists, but at places where you can refill. HERE.
Just to add having checked the Safefill group there are no bottles available at present.
Sorry but that link that I provided explicitly states authorised distributors ( of bottles). There’s a separate link to where you can refill them. The fact that the bottles are as rare as hens teeth and none online is why I suggested the OP should ring around.

Aug 19, 2022
Visit site
Just ordered a 10kg Safefill from Somerset Safefill supplies. Be delivered £214 + £9.90 delivery. They have stock of 7.5s and 10s. Very easy to deal with but if you get talking to the lady she will keep you talking all day.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Had I gone that way when Calorlite were discontinued I would have used that supplier as they seemed to be good for availability.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Safefill are nice bottles, at a price. I have 2x 10kg. You may as well use the largest if they fit. You are not obliged to fill them fully if you don’t need to and even the largest are very lightweight, flexible capacity really. I did not get them to save on gas costs, unlikely for most, rather low weight and flexible high capacity. Given the value you will note the motorbike chain thing in the picture should you look, slows any thief down a little and makes them have to damage the bottles if they try to steal. The locker is alarmed too! You need to be sure you have a LPG retailer near that is likely to stay in business. I interviewed our local place , not a garage, before I bought them 😀.

Steve
They look great but we don"t use much gas i probably would have gone for the 7.5kg x2 if we were caravanning .still .

Reactions: danielle.rocha143
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
They look great but we don"t use much gas i probably would have gone for the 7.5kg x2 if we were caravanning .still .
They can be refilled as and when required. Can top up if they are only 1/2 full. No need to use two anyway as IMHO waste of money. We have managed okay with just the one bottle for the past 7 or more years.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The only time that I really required two gas bottles was if one was below a third full, or if going to Europe when one would be out of the caravan to fuel the BBQ.

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
Not a lot of benefit from 7.5s tho unless you have a height constraint. Not much weight difference. You fill them however much you want

Steve

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
Hi Steve i just preferred the 7.5s it suited my needs and the item fitted in my caravan better .
If you don’t need bigger I guess easier to handle the smaller bottle. Just seen a bunch of these on sale at the Caravan and Motorhome Show. Weird after it being so hard to get them this time last year,

Steve

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
The only time that I really required two gas bottles was if one was below a third full, or if going to Europe when one would be out of the caravan to fuel the BBQ.
Hi. With regard to EU / Europe travel. As things stand today, can I trravel via Euro tunnel with full gas bottles ? Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS