Gas Shortage (and where thousands of Gas Canisters are.

May 12, 2019
Visit site
I am buying a Caravan without any Gas Bottles. My local caravan dealer has a notice that they no longer have any Full Gas Bottles to exchange for empties.
But when I went to my local tip they have a Cage stuffed full with empty gas canisters, must be at least 50, Ok some were not the type I want but some were.
As there are over 10,000 Refuse Depots around the UK, if all have at least 20 bottles sitting there thats 200,000 gas bottles which can go back to Calor, Now wonder there is a shortage.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I am buying a Caravan without any Gas Bottles. My local caravan dealer has a notice that they no longer have any Full Gas Bottles to exchange for empties.
But when I went to my local tip they have a Cage stuffed full with empty gas canisters, must be at least 50, Ok some were not the type I want but some were.
As there are over 10,000 Refuse Depots around the UK, if all have at least 20 bottles sitting there thats 200,000 gas bottles which can go back to Calor, Now wonder there is a shortage.
Calor do not accept other makes of gas canister, and the other companies don’t accept Calor. Try Flogas outlets they are nationwide.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I think that the council may "sell" back the Calor gas bottles to Calor to help with costs. Previously at out local tip you could slip one of them a fiver for a bottle to accidentally fall into the boot of your car, but no longer. We have had an empty Calorlite bottle sitting in our garage for the past several years.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Agree with Buckman about the tip, all the bottles are in a locked cage now.

What with everything on camera they won't let you take them, i've asked ! The chap did say that if any were outside the cage waiting to go in, they were fair game. He also said that most of the cylinders that are left there are near full.

Plenty to be found on Facebook marketplace, Gumtree, Shpock etc. Last year i got 2 full 11kg Gaslights for £20, and only a few weeks ago i picked up a full 6kg Calor propane for £10 :).

I've now moved to Gaslow after scoring 2 bottles for less than what a 6Kg Calor refill would cost.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone seen Calor lite bottles for exchange on any sites, I am just about to run out of mine and am wondering if I should just exchange it for a heavy or a smaller calor.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Has anyone seen Calor lite bottles for exchange on any sites, I am just about to run out of mine and am wondering if I should just exchange it for a heavy or a smaller calor.
Problem is the steel ones have a big effect on your nose weight as they weigh between 15 -17kg when full. I think the Calorlite when full weighs 10.4kg? Our nose weigh is already 145kg on average so we would be concerned if having to use a steel 6kg Calor bottle instead of our 7.5kg Safefill or Calorlite.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If you don’t use a lot of gas and have a concern re noseweight I would go for the smaller propane. It can then be exchanged for a Calor standard 6kg if and when Calor catch up with the market.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I think that the council may "sell" back the Calor gas bottles to Calor to help with costs. Previously at out locla tip you could slip one of them a fiver for a bottle to accidentally fall into the boot of your car, but no longer. We have had an empty Calorlite bottle sitting in our garage for the past several years.
Those were the days I remember well👏👏

Reactions: Buckman
May 7, 2012
Visit site
The cylinders are in short supply. Any that are returned damaged are not replaced so they will slowly disappear.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The cylinders are in short supply. Any that are returned damaged are not replaced so they will slowly disappear.
The supply of the lites has been getting worse over the last 5 years, I got a full one two years ago, at a Cl, in Ingleton, so I think rather than hang onto my empty Calorlite, and cart it around in the hope of finding a full one, I may as well change it for a 3.9 kg propane, to carry around when my 2nd full calorlite gets low.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts